Monarchy debate/discussion

Richey Edwards

17 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So if they found it during a prostate surgery so its likely Bowel or Bladder cancer. Dont wish the guy any harm, but if he dies wouldnt this be a time to ask if we actually want a monarchy?

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Bladder cancer certainly a possibility. I also wonder about a haematological malignancy like a lymphoma/leukaemia that was picked up on his pre-op blood tests. Would fit with him "starting treatment" so soon.

I wonder how many people using the NHS would go from an anomaly being spotted in (I assume) pre-op bloods, via diagnosis of cancer, to commencing non-surgical treatment, all within a couple of weeks? 🤔

5 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

I wonder how many people using the NHS would go from an anomaly being spotted in (I assume) pre-op bloods, via diagnosis of cancer, to commencing non-surgical treatment, all within a couple of weeks? 🤔

Quite a lot. For all its issues, the NHS is actually pretty good at this sort of stuff.

I don't get the hostility, verging on hatred towards the monarchy.  I'm pretty meh about it myself.  Even if you accept (and there's an argument to be had about it) that they're a net cost to the country in the grand scheme of things it's trivial.

There's plenty other things tax money is spent on that I don't get any benefit out of but this spending makes some people in the country happy.  The sovereign grant was about £120m last year whereas (for example) spending on libraries is about £700-800 million.

If neither the libraries or monarchy existed I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep about either but I don't really begrudge spending on either as some people like them and they both serve a purpose.

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Immense privilege being afforded to certain people at the taxpayers expense, and not by the consent of said taxpayers, is about the crux of what irks me, but the key part there is consent. Because that drills further down into the fact that these people are an ongoing relic of a system of birthright that killed, subjugated, used, enslaved, and generally lorded over c***s like me and you and poor Johnny Foreigner of too many ilks to count. 

The idea that we still even want a notionally ceremonial nod to that sort of world to me seems like a brazen insult. Then we get to just how "ceremonial" their role is, given that we know for a fact both the Queen and Chuckles routinely meddled in the governance of this country under bullshit laws that afford them that right. 

The whole thing is insidious and vile. The idea that a "monarchy" needs to exist in the bizarre form it does in the UK is, I think, also shot down by a number of European Countries who have more low key royalty, and also by the much more preferable model of elected heads of state. 

The very fucking idea that anyone should be honoured, revered, and bowed to by right of birth, let alone funded for a free ride in the lap of untold luxury should be torched from this world

How do you know I'm not a hereditary peer? (I'm not btw)

You don't, some people do, I don't care.

That's separate and I agree they shouldn't be allowed to do that.  It's a separate question to whether the monarch should exist at all though.

In your opinion, not to the people in the country that are flag waving nutters (imo) that celebrate the royal family

I believe it's been getting smaller over the years.  I'd be surprised if it doesn't continue to get smaller and more low key as time goes on.

Again, in your opinion.  Some people are very happy that such a system exists.  Just because we don't understand why someone thinks how they do and we certainly wouldn't entertain such thoughts doesn't mean it should automatically be taken away from the people that are happy with the status quo.

If there was a vote on not having a monarchy or scaling it down drastically I'd put my tick in the box.  I won't waste any effort getting worked up about it though.

39 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I don't get the hostility, verging on hatred towards the monarchy.  I'm pretty meh about it myself.  Even if you accept (and there's an argument to be had about it) that they're a net cost to the country in the grand scheme of things it's trivial.

There's plenty other things tax money is spent on that I don't get any benefit out of but this spending makes some people in the country happy.  The sovereign grant was about £120m last year whereas (for example) spending on libraries is about £700-800 million.

If neither the libraries or monarchy existed I wouldn't lose a seconds sleep about either but I don't really begrudge spending on either as some people like them and they both serve a purpose.

The favourable tax arrangements, people being feted & given huge privilege at the cost of tax payers by pure accident of birth, hoarding of works of art etc that belong to the nation in general, having a nonce buy his way out of court using public money. I could go on, but you get the gist. There’s loads of reasons to dislike the monarchy. 

10 minutes ago, Left Back said:

If there was a vote on not having a monarchy or scaling it down drastically I'd put my tick in the box.  I won't waste any effort getting worked up about it though.

It's important to vent one's spleen every so often. Pretending there is no hate/darkness in your heart is for fantasists. Finding healthy outlets for it is where its at! 

Now, back to my 3d printing of a guillotine.....

4 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Bladder cancer certainly a possibility. I also wonder about a haematological malignancy like a lymphoma/leukaemia that was picked up on his pre-op blood tests. Would fit with him "starting treatment" so soon.

Yeh good point, i just thought maybe they saw a mass at the bladder when in looking at the prostate but that makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

Quite a lot. For all its issues, the NHS is actually pretty good at this sort of stuff.

Yep, the stuff they find in screening is pretty incredible, the beatson is an incredible place, how they can treat some cancers is incredible, my old man given 6-8 months october 2022 saved by a guy using radiography to send a tiny bit of chemo through his veins to cut the blood supply to a liver tumour, how they can do these things is beyond amazing. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's important to vent one's spleen every so often. Pretending there is no hate/darkness in your heart is for fantasists. Finding healthy outlets for it is where its at

Now, back to my 3d printing of a guillotine.....

That's why sport was invented, so we'd all have teams to hate.