The Family Feuds Thread

14 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I once witnessed my dad driving down the road with my mums lower half  hanging out of the car window, kicking and screaming.  The repeated "get your head out of my car or I'm driving away" warnings went unheeded.  Needed police supervised hand-overs (like being in some DMZ) after that particular incident.

Similar, while living in OZ, the family went out to my dads work do, was miles away, big field and barn, great night. Mum and Dad were pished out their nuts.

As you did then everyone, jump in the cars and drove home.

We got to about half a mile to the house and my dad ditch the car in a small canal next to the road. We walked the rest of the way home and my dad slept in the car. Until the next day the police towed the car out and sent him on his way.

He'd be in jail and us (kids) would be in social services if that was now (safety gone mad).

Eta there is another story driving from Stratheden Hospital in a mini cooper clubman with 13 people to Kirkcaldy.😍

Edited by SlipperyP

My aunt stabbed my uncle with a bread knife on Christmas Eve. Punctured his lung and he was in hospital for a wee while.
They’re still together.

The irony of this post is that I fully expect one day in the future your niece/nephew will write something the exact same.

Not including my wife and kids of course, I don't speak to any of my family.

I haven't spoken to my dad or any of my siblings in about 10 years. My mum passed on 20 years ago, my dad might have died, I don't know, and don't really care tbh. My dad, my brother and sister are all welcome to each other, all over opinionated, selfish arseholes. I know it's me who is seen as the black sheep in the wider family so I don't bother with any of the rest of them either.

My brother and sister are a good generation older than me, I was an 'accident'. My parents divorced when I was around 4, I left with my mum, we left a large town house in the middle of St Andrews to a housing estate in Aberdeen where mum struggled. Not only are my siblings a different generation, we had a different class upbringing. We all just see things differently and don't get on.

All my biological family are dead.
Stepdaughters….1 has nothing to do with her sperm-donor at all, one actively dislikes her father and tries to have as little to do with him as possible, one sees her father any time she visit Illinois but spends a little time with him as she can get away with. I believe she does love him as a father but also understands he’s a total dick, ignorant, rude and insufferable.

We used to fall out all the time as bairns. We used to get skelped as well by our parents. Bare bum and slippers were involved. It was like a Sunday Post cartoon upbringing. 

My wife, from a supposedly different cultural background went through the same nonsense. 

It took us until our second bairn to realise the utter stupidity of this approach. 

58 minutes ago, Raidernation said:

All my biological family are dead.
Stepdaughters….1 has nothing to do with her sperm-donor at all, one actively dislikes her father and tries to have as little to do with him as possible, one sees her father any time she visit Illinois but spends a little time with him as she can get away with. I believe she does love him as a father but also understands he’s a total dick, ignorant, rude and insufferable.

Aye, but apart from that...

32 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

We used to fall out all the time as bairns. We used to get skelped as well by our parents. Bare bum and slippers were involved. It was like a Sunday Post cartoon upbringing. 

My wife, from a supposedly different cultural background went through the same nonsense. 

It took us until our second bairn to realise the utter stupidity of this approach. 

Poor first bairn...

On 11/11/2022 at 15:00, ICTChris said:

I get on very well with my family.  The older I get the more I realise how lucky I was in terms of my parents and the upbringing they gave me - they were reliable, stable, dependable people and we had a calm household without disruptions or drama.  I have friends whose upbringings were full of screaming rows, violence, alcohol abuse, parents playing their chilcren off against each other or using them as pawns etc.  I just can't imagine it.

When there was that story a few years ago about the police being called to Boris Johnson's flat because of a row going on, I was pretty shocked that about half the country thought having a screaming match with your partner was perfectly normal behaviour.

Never met my paternal grandfather, was deid before I turned up. My dad and him had a somewhat “strained relationship”. The last conversation they had was when he had been taken into hospital due to whatever it was that ended him. I think he was attempting some kind of closure and said something along the lines of “I don’t have long left” to which my dad says he replied “Good ”, and immediately walked out. My dad said he regretted what he said, but only because he was too easy on him.

Having heard stories about the grandfather since my old man died himself(Talking to his brother and sisters at various times) I would tend to take my dads view on matters as being entirely right

I get the feeling there were plenty of family feuds about two generations ago in our family, not now 

The odd thing is that my granny's siblings had kids that didn't have any kids themselves. I and my sisters don't either so the family line will be continued by some nice middle class Edinburgh folk who I met at a funeral but whom are fairly distant.

On my dad's side he wasn't exactly planned. He may have had half brothers who I have no idea about so if you've got a fairly unusual surname and come from East Fife we may be related.... 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The odd thing is that my granny's siblings had kids that didn't have any kids themselves. I and my sisters don't either so the family line will be continued by some nice middle class Edinburgh folk who I met at a funeral but whom are fairly distant.

Neither myself nor my two siblings are married, and my mum remains grandchildless.  This is despite me having been in a stable long-term relationship for 15 years!  It's as if childhood experience has given the impression of marriage being troublesome and kids being a burden.

As others have said, you are still his son, and you have every right to try to maintain a relationship with both. Being asked to pick one over the other is holding you emotionally hostage, go to Australia and keep it between you and your dad, you will regret it in later life when he isn't there. Hope it works out for you man as its a tough situation to be in.

A whole bunch of family I don't know or speak to, but I don't think these are down to feuds. Just that family is spread far and wide. I have cousins in the west of Scotland, in England, Australia and elsewhere. I wouldn't know them if I met them in the street. My siblings live far away as well; my kids will drift away from their cousins, too.

My Mum's family are, for the most part, nuts. They care far to much about the particulars of each others lives and are constantly competing for my Gran's affection (I blame her tbh, for encouraging this silly petty rivalry between her daughters). Deep down I'm convinced a lot of the family don't actually like each other, they just keep up the pretense of being one big happy family, cause that's what they think they have to do I guess.

What they all agree on is the mutual dislike of their extended family. The jealousy is crazy - some of the relatives that live out Edinburgh way are very well off, but they are all predominantly awful people. Some of their treatment of my mum and her sisters has been awful, but it doesn't matter how many times me and my Dad tell her not to bother with them, they still cosy up to them pretending to be best pals while secretely talking to themselves (and us) about how much they dislike them. I can't understand it. Just don't bother with people that cause you that much stress.

On my dad's side everyone gets on really well. Mostly cause we're not quite as 'close' and see each other much less frequently. There seems to be a mutual respect of the fact that, aye we're family and we have that in common, but we don't need to play a huge part in each others lives. My dad's mum actually passed away recently, and although sad obviously, the get together after the funeral was a great occasion to catch up with people. We'll probably see each other again in a year or two or something and that's absolutely fine with me. Don't know why it can't always be like that.

Got one mad Aunt on my Mums side, rest of them are normal enough. Dads side I don’t speak to, nothing particular has happened I just think they’re all idiots and avoid any family events, thankfully none of my cousins are married or engaged so I’ve only missed birthdays. The only one I hate is my cousins wife, she is mental and was a massive bridezilla at the wedding. My family are all catholic from Glasgow. One of my cousins is a Rangers fan because his dad is, he still went to a Catholic school in Glasgow. Instead of the wedding book they had a sheet to sign and it was getting framed and put up in their new house, I never signed it because I didn’t see the point in writing a variation on the same thing everyone else was writing. The day after the wedding there was a second party, bridezilla (not even a football fan) dragged me, my brother and my dad into a room and is screaming that we’ve ruined their frame because someone had wrote “Mon the Hoops” on it. We told her it wasn’t us, I said that if I was trying to be a dick or funny I’d have come up with something a bit more creative than that and also suggested that it might have been one of my cousins mates considering he went to a Catholic school in Glasgow. Turns out I was right, we got no apology. That was 5 years ago, seen her a couple times since and have only been civil cause it’s been at weddings and 1 funeral and I don’t want to cause a scene, my dad refuses to speak to her. My actual cousin, the one who’s actually a Rangers fan, didn’t care about the message in the slightest.