The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

On 24/08/2023 at 10:28, qos_75 said:

I don’t think it has been confirmed yet. A lot of the media are still saying he is presumed dead. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/wagner-yevgeny-prigozhin-confirmed-dead-b2400163.html

Confirmed?

Maybe @Miguel Sanchez will need to put an asterisk against it for now.

Week 34 update

Anything interesting happen this week? Hmm. 

First up, wrestler Terry Funk: Terry Funk, the hardcore wrestling legend whose career spanned five decades, has died at the age of 79 | Daily Mail Online

Wrestling legend Terry Funk, whose career spanned five decades, has died at the age of 79.

Funk, who was widely considered the father of hardcore wrestling, made his debut in 1965 and officially returned almost 53 years later. 

Funk was preceded in death by his wife, Vicky Ann, on March 29, 2019. They were married 53 years and had two daughters. 

In June 2021, fellow wrestling legend Don Muraco reported that Funk had been diagnosed with dementia. 

Funk celebrated his 79th birthday just last month and had continued wrestling until the age of 73, with his final matches coming in September 2017. 

Funk enjoyed a storied career in the ring, winning several titles, including the NWA Florida Heavyweight Championship, the ECW World Heavyweight Championship on two occasions, and the WWE Tag Team Championships alongside Cactus Jack, aka Foley. 

His success earned him an induction into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2009. 

Funk died at 79 so he's worth 46 Base Points for @Karpaty Lviv who also gets a Solo Shot bonus taking him to 96 points.

=============

Up next, American television man Bob Barker: The Price Is Right host Bob Barker dies aged 99 at his Hollywood home - with tributes flooding in for 'Greatest MC who ever lived' | Daily Mail Online

The star was the longtime host of the game show The Price Is Right, beginning his run in 1972.

The show, which had been on air since the 50s and was in decline, was revitalized by Barker, who was the face of the show until 2007.

Before that, Bob had taken over as host of Truth or Consequences in 1956. 

The MC, born Robert William Barker, was born in Darrington, Washington, on December 12, 1923.

When he was 6-years-old he moved to Mission, South Dakota, to live on a Sioux Indian reservation with his mom, according to NBC.

Near the end of World War II Bob served two years in the Navy.

He then went back to Missouri, where he attended Drury College and completed a degree in economics. 

Two straight Daily Mail links? Oh dear. Pick a better class of people. It's also probably worth pointing out that the man was a hell of a golfer:

Barker died at 99 so he's worth 26 Base Points for @German Jag and @Ludo*1. @djchapsticks gets a Vice-Captain bonus for 39 points, @TxRover gets a Captain bonus for 52 points.

=============

Up third this week, scientists and documentary participant Nick Hitchon: Nick Hitchon, nuclear scientist whose life’s ups and downs were charted in the groundbreaking TV series Seven Up! – obituary (telegraph.co.uk)

Nick Hitchon, who has died of cancer aged 65, was a Yorkshire Dales farmer’s son featured as a child in the groundbreaking Seven Up! documentary made for ITV’s hard-hitting current affairs series World in Action in 1964.

He went on to become a nuclear fusion scientist and professor at the University of Wisconsin in a life followed by the director Michael Apted for stand-alone catch-up programmes broadcast periodically over the next 55 years.

The shy country boy was first seen walking along a road in Littondale surrounded by fields and in the shadow of the huge overhanging limestone cliff Kilnsey Crag. Asked whether he had a girlfriend, he memorably responded: “I don’t want to answer that. I don’t answer those kind of questions.” The clip would be played back in all the follow-up documentaries.

More prophetically, Hitchon ventured: “When I grow up, I’d like to find out all about the moon and all that.”

I've never seen any of the Up programmes but it's an interesting concept. The Wikipedia article for the programme says this of Nick: "By 63, he had developed a cancerous mass in his throat and had recently lost his father, leading him to contemplate mortality and the future of his family after his death (he says at one point that if there is a 70 edition of the series, he will not be alive to participate in it)." 

I think the notion of mortality is probably the biggest thing I'd take from watching it. Several lives, a collective total of centuries of existence, all condensed to a few hours of television. Is this all there is?

Hitchon died at 65 so he's worth 60 Base Points, with @chomp my root also getting a Solo Shot bonus for a total of 110 points.

=============

And now, the good stuff. Noted baldy fraud Yevgeny Prigozhin: Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin killed in plane crash, Russia’s investigative committee confirms | Russia | The Guardian

Russia’s investigative committee has confirmed that the Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin was killed in a plane crash.

The committee said on Sunday that after forensic testing, all 10 bodies recovered at the site of the crash had been identified, and their identities “conform to the manifest”.

Russia’s civil aviation authority said earlier this week that Prigozhin and some of his top lieutenants were on the list of those onboard the plane that crashed on Wednesday.

Well I don't know about you, but I'm convinced. There isn't really much I can do with this death right now. The relevant authorities say he's dead, so I'm treating it as such. If there's a steward's inquiry before the end of the year or some other time in the future, we can deal with that when it happens. 

Prigozhin died at 62 so he's worth 63 Base Points for @Michael W and @TxRover, with a Deadly Duo and Unnatural Causes bonus giving them 138 points apiece. I'm disappointed nobody picked up on my No Country For Old Men reference the other day, so you're getting it again:

YARN | Natural to the line of work they was in. | No Country for Old Men  (2007) | Video clips by quotes | e24e7233 | 紗

He was in a plane that was shot down, obviously he gets a bonus.

After all of this, the standings now look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 405
2. psv_killie 376
3. Michael W 295

4. Arbroathlegend36-0 288
5. chomp my root 271

6. Desp 264
7. LoonsYouthTeam 245
8. Karpaty Lviv 241

9. The Naitch 240
10. ThomCat 239
11. gkneil 234
12. cdhafc1874 229
13. Arabdownunder 228
14. buddiepaul 226
15. Billy Jean King 225
16. Mark Connolly, weirdcal 224
18. Bert Raccoon 222
19. qos_75 221
20. peasy23 220
21. amnarab 219
22. Ned Nederlander 209
23. Miguel Sanchez 199
24. Bully Wee Villa 192
25. Ziggy Sobotka, TxRover 190
27. Ludo*1 188

28. lolls 180
29. Donathan 179
30. Shotgun 170
31. Savage Henry 169
32. D.V.T., microdave, throbber 166
35. HI HAT 162
36. ParsJake 160
37. pub car king, The_Craig 157
39. Aim Here 155
40. DG.Roma 154
41. The DA 153
42. sophia 148
43. Scorge 145
44. Indale Winton 142
45. Sweaty Morph 140
46. alta-pete 139
47. get_the_subbies_on 138
48. Frosty, HK Hibee, willie adie 134
51. djchapsticks 133

52. Fuctifano, thistledo 125
54. kilMARKnock 116
55. doulikefish,  tamthebam, The Master 111
58. Melanius Mullarkay 110
59. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
61. Lofarl 99
62. Oystercatcher, weemac 97
64. atfccfc, Ray Patterson 96
66. HTG 95
67. Moomintroll 93
68. Enigma 90
69. dagane, pawpar 87
71. German Jag, sparky88 84
73. blackislekillie 74
74. Jimmy Baker 71
75. ICTJohnboy, superwell87 69
77. paulathame 68
78. lichtgilphead 67
79. expatowner 60
80. Priti priti priti Patel, superbigal 58
82. Dunning1874, sleazy 55
84. Empty It, The Hologram 48
86. DeeTillEhDeh 42
87. Oceanlineayr, Salvo Montalbano, Shipa, statts1976uk 39
91. mathematics 37
92. 10menwent2mow, dee_62, mizfit, parxyz, scottsdad, senorsoupe, Suspect Device 32
99. choirbairn, Derry Alli, stanton 31
102. BillyAnchor, Christophe, Lex, PWL 29
106. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

On 22/08/2023 at 14:54, chomp my root said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/08/22/nick-hitchon-nuclear-scientist-seven-up-granada-television/

Thoughts, prayer, points. Was getting the fear that this was going to another pick that was too niche. :bounce2

Miguel, you missed this one.

17 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Jack Sonni in Die Straits. Doing the Walk of Death. Etc.

Dire Straits guitarist Jack Sonni dies age 68 as band shares touching tribute - Mirror Online

A session musician on one album and tour, but the article reads like he and Mark Knopfler were both main guitarists for the band.

Something that surprises me recently is I've heard "Money for Nothing" with no changes to lyrics (you know the ones) being played out in public a fair few times and no one cares. Yet when Kirsty MacColl said it everyone is raging at Shane MacGowan and make a big deal out of it every year. 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Something that surprises me recently is I've heard "Money for Nothing" with no changes to lyrics (you know the ones) being played out in public a fair few times and no one cares. Yet when Kirsty MacColl said it everyone is raging at Shane MacGowan and make a big deal out of it every year. 

Just looked up the lyrics and I must have heard the diluted version all my life (I'm 41) or just not paid attention to the lyrics 

5 hours ago, thistledo said:

Trigger Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by chomp my root