Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

8 minutes ago, Venti said:

Seem to vaguely remember either my Gran/Mum saying our phone number when answering the phone.

I just say "hullo" with a hint of 'who the f**k are you?' now, unless the caller name appears on the phone. In the olden days we didn't get ambulance chasers and scammers phoning random numbers, so you'd either say your number or name when picking up the receiver.

Edited by welshbairn

19 minutes ago, Venti said:

Seem to vaguely remember either my Gran/Mum saying our phone number when answering the phone.

My aunt still answers that way.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I just say "hullo" with a hint of 'who the f**k are you?' now, unless the caller name appears on the phone. In the olden days we didn't get ambulance chasers and scammers phoning random numbers, so you'd either say your number or name when picking up the receiver.

I use “What the f**k do you want” for likely scammer number, when I bother to answer.

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

My aunt still answers that way.

I use “What the f**k do you want” for likely scammer number, when I bother to answer.

I put loads of dialling codes on block for my recently departed mother's phone after she was swamped by scammers, recently found out she had friends trying to get in touch for years without getting through. She handled the scammers quite well though, just told them to send a letter if it was important and hanged up.

1 hour ago, Venti said:

Funny thing is I can still remember my first phone number but I cannae remember my current postcode or my wife’s birthday. 

I guess that’s why I’m in a care home now and heading for divorce.