Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

33 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

What is remarkable, if the auditors resigned six months ago, why haven't the SNP appointed new ones? Given their audited accounts need to be with the Electoral Commission by July.

They currently have no auditor, that's looking tight to contract with a new auditor, for them to handover with JC and audit the accounts. I expect they may need to seek an extension which is highly irregular.

Another gift as a result of the secrecy by which Murrell governed the party. More evidence of the catastrophically bald one running the party into the ground.

Would a new auditor be able to do much before the police finish their investigation and return the data and paperwork? 

13 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

You deserve a red dot for making me open an article with literally f**k all new in it at all........but I am feeling benevolent today.

Auditors resigning 6 months ago looks a lot worse for Murrell than them resigning because of his arrest.

With the police taking away a luxury camper van maybe Murrell bought it with SNP funds to use as a shagging wagon. Obviously when you are married to the First minister you can't be having flings in your own house or hotels. So a cosy camper parked up at his maws, out of sight.

Also not looking good that Humza came out and said he won't be getting legal fees.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Would a company normally pay legal fees for an ex employee?

If the legal issues were the result of what would be defended as legitimate actions by the Executive then yes.

For example if the charges related specifically to spunking money on Indy Ref stuff but not as part of an official campaign i would expect the SNP to defend that action. But saying he isn't getting his legal fees probably means it goes beyond that and into some other shady stuff.

The other possible way of reading it is that Murrell has the money to defend himself and it looks better for the SNP to cut him loose right now. So he gave humza the greenlight to ditch him for the good of the party. However I would say this is unlikely. The auditors walking out months ago and no replacement found signals that something was wrong and Murrell was in over his head.

12 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Nothing to see here, just auditors turning down fee-paying work. 

While I agree with your general point, if I was an auditor, I'm not sure I'd be jumping at the chance to take on work for an organisation that is currently the subject of a police investigation, and whose CEO just got arrested

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

While I agree with your general point, if I was an auditor, I'm not sure I'd be jumping at the chance to take on work for an organisation that is currently the subject of a police investigation, and whose CEO just got arrested

And you can't blame them for that. Things need to be bad for clients to be turned away. There are almost certainly more revelations to come. 

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm pretty sure this was just a coincidence...

That tweet is symptomatic of the poor quality of what passes for journalism these days.

That report was a regular one, written as part of their corporate governance. It was not issued in September as the journalist claims, it was issued in May 2022.

The equivalent report was published in May 2021 and - quelle surprise - also described risk management for taking on new clients, and their annual risk assessments for existing clients. 

There really has been some shoddy and innacurate reporting on this case, and much of it is basically adding to Murrels defence which will be that he cant get a fair trial.

Its going to end up with a similar shambles as we saw with the Salmond court case.