Bonnyrigg Rose 2023-24 Best supported team in SPFL2

8 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

May be a wee problem with this theory... they have a squad full of guff.

Everything is relative. I’m sure the Bonnyrigg squad is better than ours. 

From Cowdenbeath's Facebook it sounds like he took a while but eventually had them playing nice stuff.

With that in mind, I get the impression this is more of a long term vision from the Bonnyrigg board. In the immediate term, and with all respect, I'd say its not a name that would put the fear of God in Stranraer or Clyde fans. Furthermore, he doesn't have the time, players or facilities to play nice stuff on the deck this season.

However, a new manager bounce could easily see them keep their heads above water.

For next season, regardless of the league they're in, they'll have a settled manager that can assemble his own team and have them playing the way he wants. If they do go down, he has experience in that league. If they stay up, he brings something fresh after the previous approach had gone stale.

2 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Think Calum will do well at Bonnyrigg given time. 

Plays an attractive brand of football with high intensity and lots of pressing.  Does that suit the current Bonnyrigg team?

Does he bring his own hammers, or does he expect the team to provide their own?

1 hour ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Is there a director in Scottish football that wee Calum doesn't have the phone number of? He'll whore himself out for anything - clearly it doesn't matter if it means going behind another gaffers back. At least Mick Kennedy just used his mates in the press!

Mick still isn’t in the SPFL so advantage Elliot.

Goes to show that you don’t need to manage a mega bucks Club to get noticed

10 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Mick still isn’t in the SPFL so advantage Elliot.

Goes to show that you don’t need to manage a mega bucks Club to get noticed

Sticking up for the lad who has done everything he possibly could to get out of the dump that is Central Park as soon as he could. What a club!

2 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

Sticking up for the lad who has done everything he possibly could to get out of the dump that is Central Park as soon as he could. What a club!

That’s because we are an intelligent and reasonable bunch, and can see the bigger picture, although naturally quite a few are disappointed Calum has gone.  On the other hand, you are a gibbering moron incapable of any sensible opinions at all.

1 minute ago, Cowdenleith said:

That’s because we are an intelligent and reasonable bunch, and can see the bigger picture, although naturally quite a few are disappointed Calum has gone.  On the other hand, you are a gibbering moron incapable of any sensible opinions at all.

The only intelligent and reasonable Cowden supporter is the one on your Facebook page suggesting the best thing for the club is to fold 

52 minutes ago, peternapper said:

There was talk of the pitch being replaced with Astro close season would this still go ahead if dropping back to the Lowland?

I’m sceptical this can happen for a few reasons:

1) Civil engineering - flattening that surface  is going to take a heck of a lot of redistributing soil about the ground to flatten the area, building retaining walls, drainage channels, reprofiling spectator areas, fixing lighting etc. Is it even feasible without paying silly money and leaving a serviceable spectator area behind? (I can imagine the corner at the Calderwood end would look like the old Tannadice corners which would be very retro and welcomed by me!)

2) Time - see above. Bonnyrigg are playing the last game of this season at home. Planning a major project like the above would have presumably seen a request to shift a few matches at end of this season and start of next season so it could be ready for next season? That doesn’t seem to be in the pipeline.

3) Money - the community club installed a new artificial pitch / lights / cage at the Poltonhall Hub not so long ago, presumably with a bit of grant funding chucked in and perhaps a bit of council support. Are any of these funding bodies going to provide funds for another project in Bonnyrigg so quickly? Can the football club fund such a project from their own reserves? 

I just wonder if it is feasible to make this happen without a massive vacant period at NDP (leading to ground sharing where?) and a massive benefactor to fund it.

My suspicion is if this was really on their radar, the Poltonhall pitch would have been installed at NDP.

But who knows, I was wrong about Gary, I was wrong about Clint, I might be wrong about this and Bonnyrigg shall be playing on a beautiful flat carpet awfae soon!

2 hours ago, Wee man the jackass said:

The only intelligent and reasonable Cowden supporter is the one on your Facebook page suggesting the best thing for the club is to fold 

Don’t think he could be classed as a supporter then ?

10 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

Ok Rosey Posey it is. 

I suppose  a Posey could refer to the Rose flower.

It's no meaningless when it's in the songbook though.

And yes Boomtown has been mentioned for years but is it any Boomier than Penicuik or Dalkeith. :lol:

Each to their own I suppose. 

Better Rosey Posey than "Shitehill" or the "Santa Stoners" I suppose. Although I heard the nickname applied to Linlithgow first. 

Rosewell is surely Boomtown. Around November 5th anyway. 

So a new era starts for The Rose on Saturday. My personal thanks to Robbie and his team for the journey of his tenure at The Rose it has certainly been a fantastic journey from level 7 when he came to the club to now be at level 4 with a few League Championships and Cups along the way.. 

So it’s a welcome and good luck to Callum Elliot and his team with a massive opening match for The Rose.  I feel we must get something out of the game and as usual the first goal of the game will be all important. Looks like it’s gonna be dry for the game and little wind. Another nail biting day awaits.

C’mon The Rose 🌹🌹🌹

11 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

They were good defensively. Two rotten teams though today. A game full of head tennis and baws getting booted out the park. 

That’s been the problem all season (and last season) at NDP - hoofball from defence missing out midfield aiming for McGachie who’s usually outmuscled by 2 defenders who’re of similar size or regularly bigger and stronger. And when he’s not there (he's been injured for large parts of the season), the tactics are still the same ….. but this time the target is Ross Gray, Declan Byrne, Kevin Smith, Liam Buchanan et al who are all tiny compared to the CBs they’re up against. And the number of goals we lose from balls launched into our box and being outmuscled in the challenge is embarrassing.

Calum Elliot has a big job next season - we’ve got some decent players (especially Martin, Peggie, Mailer, Barrett, Gray) but regardless of what league we’re in we need a rebuild.

3 hours ago, Broonaldo said:

That’s been the problem all season (and last season) at NDP - hoofball from defence missing out midfield aiming for McGachie who’s usually outmuscled by 2 defenders who’re of similar size or regularly bigger and stronger. And when he’s not there (he's been injured for large parts of the season), the tactics are still the same ….. but this time the target is Ross Gray, Declan Byrne, Kevin Smith, Liam Buchanan et al who are all tiny compared to the CBs they’re up against. And the number of goals we lose from balls launched into our box and being outmuscled in the challenge is embarrassing.

Calum Elliot has a big job next season - we’ve got some decent players (especially Martin, Peggie, Mailer, Barrett, Gray) but regardless of what league we’re in we need a rebuild.

As an occasional watcher I always feel that the squad has improved on paper in the past 2 seasons but have been going backwards, somehow they've never matched in spirit etc the team that won the LL (appreciate it's a higher level).
In recent weeks Kerr Young has been a bad loss, a real leader on the park. I think Robbie should have been replaced early in the season, I can understand him getting kept on after keeping them up but they've been going nowhere this season.
Last season I enjoyed the novelty of league fitba about a mile from my house, but this season it has been a real chore. There's a post somewhere where I listed even more forwards than you have, there were 7 or 8 in total.

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

As an occasional watcher I always feel that the squad has improved on paper in the past 2 seasons but have been going backwards, somehow they've never matched in spirit etc the team that won the LL (appreciate it's a higher level).
In recent weeks Kerr Young has been a bad loss, a real leader on the park. I think Robbie should have been replaced early in the season, I can understand him getting kept on after keeping them up but they've been going nowhere this season.
Last season I enjoyed the novelty of league fitba about a mile from my house, but this season it has been a real chore. There's a post somewhere where I listed even more forwards than you have, there were 7 or 8 in total.

You’re right, Robbie has dabbled (unsuccessfully!!) with loads of forwards over the last 2-3 seasons who’ve all been in the same mould - small and speedy. Anyone who’s been to NDP will know it’s a cow field in the winter months and must be like running in treacle, so speed is pretty much negated. Added to that it can’t be the easiest to pass on the deck in those conditions, so we resort to hoofball. The only 6ft+ forward we signed was Faye and he refused to head the ball!! It must be so demoralising for poor Ross Gray to watch those missles get launched at him from defence. I couldn’t understand why we didn’t sign a clone of McGachie, that target man model works for our style and those conditions.

As for Kerr, he’s been missed but (1) he’s not had a great season and (2) he needs support - Martynuik isn’t a CB and Grigor / Mercer are too small. We need a Munro (Forfar), Dolzanski (Elgin), Buchanan (Stennie) or Sonkur (Spartans) to add dominance and cut out those ball’s into our box ….. and add a threat when we have a corner.