2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Why can't Brechin beat any of the top 5 and Buckie not beat anybody outwith it just now?!

We know the first part, but the latter is such a mystery that it's almost deliberate.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Vale potentially putting one of the final nails in the coffin for their rivals' title bid has to feel good.

Reckon Brechin limp to the finish line, but nae danger they get near promotion unfortunately 🙁

1 hour ago, Comrie said:

Ah, Clach. I give up on predicting what you will do.

I thought Clach were excellent today. Solid at the back and in midfield. Michael Miele in goals was superb and it was a wonder goal from Connor Bunce to win it.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Why can't Brechin beat any of the top 5 and Buckie not beat anybody outwith it just now?!

We know the first part, but the latter is such a mystery that it's almost deliberate.

A weird thing is how Buckie keep beating the top sides on Wednesday nights but get nowhere against the dross on Saturday afternoons. 

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I thought Clach were excellent today. Solid at the back and in midfield. Michael Miele in goals was superb and it was a wonder goal from Connor Bunce to win it.

Connor Bunce is a good player.

But Clach are just so unpredictable. I thought so too. Expected nothing and got a nice win.

14 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Vale potentially putting one of the final nails in the coffin for their rivals' title bid has to feel good.

Reckon Brechin limp to the finish line, but nae danger they get near promotion unfortunately 🙁

When we got promoted to the championship under Darren Dods we finished 4th in league one having lost more games than we won . Nobody gave us a chance but we upped it for the play offs , beat Raith and Alloa to go up . 

Never say never. 

Turned out to be the beginning of the end for us but it was good at the time. 🥴

10 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

When we got promoted to the championship under Darren Dods we finished 4th in league one having lost more games than we won . Nobody gave us a chance but we upped it for the play offs , beat Raith and Alloa to go up . 

Never say never. 

Turned out to be the beginning of the end for us but it was good at the time. 🥴

Finished 12 points behind Alloa too.

Big difference with that I suppose is that nobody was expecting it, and promotion was more of a 'nice to have'.  

Not so much now where there's serious pressure to get up asap, otherwise there's the realistic chance that we'll end up one of the perennial mid-HL-table teams (although most seem to eventually have a shot at the title on a cyclic basis tbf).  If Brechin didn't have the SPFL history behind them then there's no reason why they should be seen as any bigger than a team from a similar sized town such as Turriff (granted they don't have the Dundee area to tap into as well as Aberdeen, but you know what I mean).  This is a critical season.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Finished 12 points behind Alloa too.

Big difference with that I suppose is that nobody was expecting it, and promotion was more of a 'nice to have'.  

Not so much now where there's serious pressure to get up asap, otherwise there's the realistic chance that we'll end up one of the perennial mid-HL-table teams (although most seem to eventually have a shot at the title on a cyclic basis tbf).  If Brechin didn't have the SPFL history behind them then there's no reason why they should be seen as any bigger than a team from a similar sized town such as Turriff (granted they don't have the Dundee area to tap into as well as Aberdeen, but you know what I mean).  This is a critical season.

Don’t get promoted 75% of the players are off ,we are going to end up as a mediocre highland league team at best.

It's getting too close to call, but here we go.

Brechin City will beat EK in the playoffs.

Brechin City will beat Clyde in the final.

Anyone else?

Edited by Cosmic Joe

2 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Anyone else?

They wouldn’t have to beat anyone else. EK and Clyde would be enough.

On 31/03/2024 at 20:13, Cosmic Joe said:

Anyone else?

If they don’t do it this season I think it’s going to get harder next season for them I feel. 

2 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

I think City will be competing in the Highland League for a long time.

The way Aberdeen are playing they could be in the HL within 10 years

On 31/03/2024 at 20:13, Cosmic Joe said:

Anyone else?

Price to be both the Messiah and an unpopular figure ("ach, it was mere luck in the playoffs") next season.

Can seriously see it happening.

4 minutes ago, kevsmart said:

The way Aberdeen are playing they could be in the HL within 10 years

At least we won't have to play Hibs, as they could be in the Lowland League

Posted (edited)

Brora v Vale moved to Golspie

Buckie v Strathspey postponed

Forres v Wick postponed

Keith v Brechin 1.30 pitch inspection postponed

All due to waterlogged pitches. All 4 clubs need to get serious in the summer about sorting the drainage out, this season has been embarrassing. Brora, Buckie and Forres have been some of the more reliable grounds till this year.

Edited by welshbairn