2023–24 Highland League Chat

welshbairn

Fraserburgh throwing themselves right into contention here. If they can beat Brora you've got to think they'll be in with a very strong chance.

Edited by craigkillie

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Fraserburgh throwing themselves right into contention here. If they can beat Brora you've got to think they'll be in with a very strong chance.

They've also still got to play Strathspey twice. As have Buckie. So that's effectively a guaranteed 6 more points for both clubs. 

27 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

They've also still got to play Strathspey twice. As have Buckie. So that's effectively a guaranteed 6 more points for both clubs. 

Guaranteed?you have seen buckies results against bottom feeders this last month or so?

6 minutes ago, highlandmac said:

Guaranteed?you have seen buckies results against bottom feeders this last month or so?

Strathspey are a different level of shite. 

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Strathspey are a different level of shite. 

They've done fine against the teams that have taken points off Buckie this last month.any head to head with fellow contenders&it's Buckie every time it seems but their games against the minnows🤣...

Deveronvale fairly turning things around after manager Craig Stewart's departure .

Good group of young lads,if they can be kept together,maybe just maybe there's brighter times ahead for Vale.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They do as long as we have a clown of a Manager in charge. 

An important Monday Night Football win for Buckie in the local derby against Keith last night.  Although I'd imagine Spider would've liked it to have been more than 3-0.  Peters and MacAskill were rested, presumably for the Brora game tomorrow.

Elsewhere Rothes and Forres were tied at 1s.

Very tasty looking indeed.  Some highlighted remaining fixtures - 

Buckie host Brora tomorrow night (likely to be off due to the forecasted monsoon).

Both Buckie and Fraserburgh still have to play Strathspey twice (Strathspey's last 4 games of the season), so that's 6 expected points for both.

Brechin go to Brora on the last day.

image.thumb.png.75842638ab3b32561f62bf711a51f0b9.png

Some other comments - 

Shocking seasons for Clach and Forres, Forres actually bodied Clach 4-1 about a month ago, which shows how poor a side Clach are.  This is undoubtedly their worst squad for as long as I can remember, possibly ever.

Wick have surprised me, there was talk early in the season of them struggling to get players to play for them and ending up in a race to the bottom with Strathspey but they've picked up well since Christmas.

Draws have killed Banks o'Dee, a few of those turned into wins and they'd be lifting the trophy.

IMO, Fraserburgh are going to win the league.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Some other comments - 

Shocking seasons for Clach and Forres, Forres actually bodied Clach 4-1 about a month ago, which shows how poor a side Clach are.  This is undoubtedly their worst squad for as long as I can remember, possibly ever.

Wick have surprised me, there was talk early in the season of them struggling to get players to play for them and ending up in a race to the bottom with Strathspey but they've picked up well since Christmas.

Draws have killed Banks o'Dee, a few of those turned into wins and they'd be lifting the trophy.

IMO, Fraserburgh are going to win the league.

Hard to disagree with any of that. Totally agree R.E. Fraserburgh. Fair play to Lossie as well who have had a pretty decent points return on games their own patch. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Clach don't bother getting out of bed for minnows like Forres and Grantown FC.

Anyway, on an end of season roll..

image.png.110f92a296c19edefb9957623b2daeaf.png

image.png.bcb20fba838c91bc98ea75eb008db1

Edited by welshbairn

Sorry for being thick but why do people consider Fraserburgh favourites when Brechin have three points and a (slightly) better GD? I presume the combination of momentum from the 4-2 the other week and the fact that playing Strathspey twice is a given six points and considerable +GD?

43 minutes ago, southernrover said:

Sorry for being thick but why do people consider Fraserburgh favourites when Brechin have three points and a (slightly) better GD? I presume the combination of momentum from the 4-2 the other week and the fact that playing Strathspey twice is a given six points and considerable +GD?

I think it's just Buckie and Brechin stumbling just as Fraserburgh are getting unbeatable. I'd still put Brechin as favourites though.

49 minutes ago, southernrover said:

Fraserburgh have a far easier run in. 

18 hours ago, southernrover said:

To add to what's been said above, Fraserburgh are by far the form team in the league and with Brora at home and Strathspey twice you'd have to expect them to take 9 points and substantially improve their goal difference.

Brechin have done poorly against the better sides and have to go away to Keith - who despite their defeat on Monday are still the second-best team in the league any way you want to look at the last 6 to 10 games - away to Brora and home against Forres. Taking 7 points from that, or 6 and better Fraserburgh's goal difference, won't be easy. Going to Brora for the last game is very squeaky bum.

I'm not sure which of the two are favourites, you can make a case for either.

Buckie are still well in it, they have to play 5 games in 10 days but two are against Strathspey and the other 3 are at home. Four wins and a draw would be enough to guarantee finishing above Fraserburgh.

It wouldn't be a surprise if all three finished on 78 points.

ETA: It's Keith v Brechin tonight. The pitch just passed an inspection at 11.30am, there's another inspection at 4pm. Fingers crossed it goes ahead. If they broadcast it I'd watch instead of the Champions League.

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 22.23.05.png

Edited by GordonS

15 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Keith v Brechin City is off.

All eyes on Buckie Thistle as they attempt to close the gap to three points.

Buckie 'hosting' Brora at Grant Park, Lossiemouth.