#Barclays 23/24

3 minutes ago, guinness said:

Ian Wright is spot🤭 on ...

Screenshot_20240101_215542_X.jpg

He’s right, there’s a large element of footballers who have realised going down in the box is massively beneficial to them, but lack the awareness that it isn’t always,  on the 0.2 even 0.5 chances it may well be the best choice but on a 0.9+ it’s just stupid

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

The elbow caught his right foot immediately before he went down. It wasn’t much, but it was enough. 

Even Neville and Dean acknowledged that before doubling-down on “he’s gone down in stages”. 

Dearie me.

18 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Eddie Howe next for the chop? How long before bin Salman decides heads must roll?

He overachieved last season but was also helped by Liverpool and Chelsea being terrible, and Spurs and Villa being nowhere. This season they've all stepped it up (apart from Chelsea) and they've dropped back down. I think they've also found that you can progress too quickly, they don't have the squad to deal with Champions League, Premier League and cup competitions (which they are clearly desperate to win) and it's meant their form in all of them has suffered as injuries have piled up.

To your question, it will depend whether the owners think last season was the outlier that it was, or whether they think that's where they should have been and that this is them dropping off now. They have tough league games coming up and away to Sunderland in the cup. If they lose all those I think he's in trouble, I'd be surprised if anything happened sooner though.

Someone should make another joke about Howe getting beheaded. It would be hilarious reading that for about the hundredth time in the past month.

Edited by eez-eh

37 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

He’s right, there’s a large element of footballers who have realised going down in the box is massively beneficial to them, but lack the awareness that it isn’t always,  on the 0.2 even 0.5 chances it may well be the best choice but on a 0.9+ it’s just stupid

I want to deviate from the consensus here. The guy wouldn't pass up the chance to score, he hadn't overrun the ball and yet he went down. Either the minimal contact with the keeper was enough for him to trip or he tripped himself. All other speculation as to his motivation is clearly based on his lack of physical beauty.

16 minutes ago, Thane of Cawdor said:

I want to deviate from the consensus here. The guy wouldn't pass up the chance to score, he hadn't overrun the ball and yet he went down. Either the minimal contact with the keeper was enough for him to trip or he tripped himself. All other speculation as to his motivation is clearly based on his lack of physical beauty.

I think that's right. Might end up getting lots of red dots but having not seen it live I assumed it was a horrendous dive. On first view it looked soft, and the replay confirmed that IMO - soft but probably a foul. Dubravka's elbow seems to catch Jota, it knocks his balance a wee bit and the change in stride means it takes a second for the momentum to work against him. He had an empty net in front of him while Liverpool's penalty taker had already missed one in this game and isn't in good penalty taking form in general. So why go down? Answer, the wee tap. If you watch rugby, you'll sometimes see much bigger guys get taken down with a slight tap on the ankles. It happens. It wasn't as if it was one of those where the striker is already on the way down and dangles his leg so that it brushes against the goalkeeper's shoulder, it was a soft award but probably correct IMO.

30 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

IMG_2408.thumb.jpeg.1c01bb0b035d41691b7753f987d91664.jpeg

#footballheritage

Ooft!  Public enemy number one in our family.  Me for his Crystal Palace FA Cup semi-final goal.  My mum for him  saying that his West Ham side had given Everton a footballing lesson, at Goodison.  Dear me.

3 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Someone should make another joke about Howe getting beheaded. It would be hilarious reading that for about the hundredth time in the past month.

Keep the heid bud. 

Can't believe someone on here is actually defending the most blatant dive you'll see :lol:

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

No it wasn’t because he was quite able to stay on his feet and score, as shown by him staying on his feet for a bit before diving. It was basically an open goal.

I think it's probably a penalty but he has dived to secure it.  

There's a good view from behind in the spoiler you can see his foot is coming down when there is contact but it's made him plant his heel, he isn't able to get the right push off to continue his run properly so at that point he just dives to secure it.  

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Michael W said:

It must be at least a decade now that Liverpool have had a chronic lack of depth. A couple of injuries and it's a bunch of regens with high-numbered shirts on the bench. 

You are just forgetting what things were like pre Jurgen Klopp. Take us back to Nabil El Zhar as first sub under Rafa. 

It was only 18 months ago that Liverpool were 2 games away from winning all 4 competitions. 

Jota, Gakpo, Gravenberch and Mac Allister not bad subs last night.

Edited by Crow

14 hours ago, Michael W said:

The p45 or his head?

Said p45 and two bodybags

Baby, that's all we need

We can go St James Park, after dark

Chop that b*****ds heid

Edited by RawB93

17 minutes ago, RawB93 said:

Said p45 and two bodybags

Baby, that's all we need

We can go St James Park, after dark

Chop that b*****ds heid

And as Joelinton crying we can take our turns,

Riding his missus rawdawg,

Stone a couple gays, take a aisha bong

Cause the Saudi's ain't doing nuttin' wrong.

11 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I think it's probably a penalty but he has dived to secure it.  

There's a good view from behind in the spoiler you can see his foot is coming down when there is contact but it's made him plant his heel, he isn't able to get the right push off to continue his run properly so at that point he just dives to secure it.  

Hide contents

It looks like the video might be down. To me it doesn't matter though, because whatever touch there was, didn’t impede him, he clearly runs (perfectly balanced it’s not like he was falling) a few more steps then goes down. That tells me he could have stayed on his feet easily and still scored. Not all contact is a foul.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

It looks like the video might be down. To me it doesn't matter though, because whatever touch there was, didn’t impede him, he clearly runs (perfectly balanced it’s not like he was falling) a few more steps then goes down. That tells me he could have stayed on his feet easily and still scored. Not all contact is a foul.

Where are people getting that he was "perfectly balanced" and that he ran "a few more steps"? Genuinely. His left leg gets caught by Dubravka (which he has admitted), and the very next time he tries to plant his left leg (the one that has been caught), rather than his foot coming down straight, it's the side of his boot that hits the turf, which then knocks him off balance so that he then goes down the next step he makes. I get that people will say there was minimal contact, and I get that folk will think he could have stayed up if he tried harder, and I get that the LiVARpool stuff is amusing (and I agree to all three), but to say it's a dive, that he kept running for several steps, that VAR should have overturned it, that Newcastle were hard done by etc is clearly nonsense too.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Where are people getting that he was "perfectly balanced" and that he ran "a few more steps"? Genuinely. His left leg gets caught by Dubravka (which he has admitted), and the very next time he tries to plant his left leg (the one that has been caught), rather than his foot coming down straight, it's the side of his boot that hits the turf, which then knocks him off balance so that he then goes down the next step he makes. I get that people will say there was minimal contact, and I get that folk will think he could have stayed up if he tried harder, and I get that the LiVARpool stuff is amusing (and I agree to all three), but to say it's a dive, that he kept running for several steps, that VAR should have overturned it, that Newcastle were hard done by etc is clearly nonsense too.

No it doesn’t. Both feet land fine before he pulls them as he goes down. Its a clear dive and should have been overturned.