#Barclays 23/24

I see no reason why Pep would help Arteta. I get that a City bid could be used to encourage Arsenal's board to throw more money at Rice, but Pep also knows Arsenal are getting a quality player. Don't see why he would want that.

Arteta and Pep are probably decent friends, but they aren't gonna pull strings behind the transfer market to suit each other.

It's just another "professional" "pundit" talking "a load of shite"

Edited by ClydeTon

The more and more I see of pundits the more and more I think of Christopher Hitchens' "If you gave him an enema he'd fit in a matchbox". It's widely accepted that most professional footballers are thicker than a whale's foreskin, so god knows why they get held in such a high regard in a job where intelligence and precise, thoughful communication is so important. It's not as if football tactics or most of its workings are some great mystery that we only a select few who have been there can comprehend.

16 minutes ago, southernrover said:

The more and more I see of pundits the more and more I think of Christopher Hitchens' "If you gave him an enema he'd fit in a matchbox". It's widely accepted that most professional footballers are thicker than a whale's foreskin, so god knows why they get held in such a high regard in a job where intelligence and precise, thoughful communication is so important. It's not as if football tactics or most of its workings are some great mystery that we only a select few who have been there can comprehend.

This bit is true enough in terms of watching football, but a pundit or, like on MNF when they sometimes get a manager on to explain some wee intricacies is good IMO. Likes of Thierry Henry for example often offers a good insight into the mind of an attacker.

We almost never get anything like that though as BT in particular appear absolutely determined to force us down the road of shrill, fan TV and controversy for controversies sake 

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This bit is true enough in terms of watching football, but a pundit or, like on MNF when they sometimes get a manager on to explain some wee intricacies is good IMO. Likes of Thierry Henry for example often offers a good insight into the mind of an attacker.

We almost never get anything like that though as BT in particular appear absolutely determined to force us down the road of shrill, fan TV and controversy for controversies sake 

Strangely the best bit of insight last season (I think) was on BT but it was almost by accident - they tried interviewing Thomas Frank and Graham Potter at the same time before a Brentford v Brighton game. They almost ignored the shite questions but interrogated each other about their styles of play and talked about ways to try and counteract each other.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

That is true enough, there are certainly some out there who are decent enough, I was more thinking about freaks like Redknapp and McManaman trying to string a sentence together, and when they do it's either shite or something Helen Keller could have told you.

I suppose I really want pundits to only tell me things I couldn't know. I suppose the battle of wits between Frank and Potter mentioned above (I've never seen it) is the kind of thing I'm after; not Keane being the pantomime villain and Richards the court jester.

Just now, southernrover said:

That is true enough, there are certainly some out there who are decent enough, I was more thinking about freaks like Redknapp and McManaman trying to string a sentence together, and when they do it's either shite or something Helen Keller could have told you.

I suppose I really want pundits to only tell me things I couldn't know. I suppose the battle of wits between Frank and Potter mentioned above (I've never seen it) is the kind of thing I'm after; not Keane being the pantomime villain and Richards the court jester.

Totally agree with you. Theres absolutely a place and a value in good punditry, but we are so starved of it now that all punditry is starting to seem like an annoyance you'd happily bin. Steve McManaman is just so irredeemably fucking excruciating, that he has a genuine negative effect on the watching of a football match. Can't stress enough how bad he is. I think he typifies the genre pretty well. 

There’s definitely a fair few pundits that have no business being there, but  the bigger problem is in those who maybe are worth having around find out the only way they stick around is by providing tv companies and weirdos who say they like football but haven’t ever watched a game outside their living room ‘entertainment’ and therefore the entire dynamic has become one or both say something ridiculous and they then scream at each other for 15 minutes.   Presenter then chuckles and we go to an ad break, 

Edited by parsforlife

Coverage starts 5 minutes before kick-off, quick intro with a bit of Rocky music and over to Brian Moore and Jimmy Greaves. The good old days of TV coverage. 

Edited by Crow

When the Premier League started up and Sky started doing the live games, Tyler and Gray did the Sundays and Darke and Gray (iirc) did the Monday nights. After a while though, Gray went to the studio and Trevor Francis became the summariser. He was excellent. Straight after kick off, he'd always say something like "for those of you interested in formations and systems, Arsenal have their usual back four playing quite high" or "West Ham have three at the back tonight, with the sweeper being a yard or two deeper and the centre halves being allowed to step into midfield". It was all basic stuff really but the first time a pundit had actually tried to explain how the teams had lined up, but more importantly why.

The intent of most pundits, and most media companies, isn't to explain intricate concepts to a vast audience - it is simply entertainment. Sometimes entertainment will be shitting on Johnny Foreigner, sometimes it will be banal platitudes, sometimes it will be Roy Keane looking hard.

It does nothing for me so I don't watch any of it any more.

You can very easily consume football coverage for free, the whole industry is built on a house of cards of consumers with enough cash, and not enough technical know how.

16 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

Go on then, how is she half right in her suggestion that Arteta asked Pep to put in a bid..?

What happens if West Ham accept the City bid and Arsenal refuse to match it?

Perhaps refer to my previous posts where that was explained. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

You didn't explain anything. You gave an opinion that Man City didn't want him.

Are you being thick on purpose? I never explained what she was half right about, apart from the time where I explicitly stated exactly that. Stop talking to me please, painful stuff.

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Are you being thick on purpose? I never explained what she was half right about, apart from the time where I explicitly stated exactly that. Stop talking to me please, painful stuff.

Compelling argument, Jives Miguel.