#Barclays 23/24

On 10/07/2023 at 22:07, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Ashley Young? Fucking hell Everton. 😂

Was pretty decent for us last season, I was surprised we didn't offer him a new contract. As a squad player he's a good option for them for a season or two at the most.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Was pretty decent for us last season, I was surprised we didn't offer him a new contract. As a squad player he's a good option for them for a season or two at the most.

I saw £100,000 a week being talked about. For a club in as much financial trouble as Everton are allegedly,  I think they shouldn't be giving that to a 38 year old squad player, sorry.

It probably highlights the fact the club are a basket case at the moment.

49 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I saw £100,000 a week being talked about. For a club in as much financial trouble as Everton are allegedly,  I think they shouldn't be giving that to a 38 year old squad player, sorry.

It probably highlights the fact the club are a basket case at the moment.

Highly doubt Everton can afford to give anyone 100k a week, especially with Gnonto and another player out in Italy expected to be coming in very soon.

And considering he's 38 and past the peak of his abilities, I highly doubt Ashley will be able to demand a wage like that. Luton certainly wouldn't be offering anything close, either.

5 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Highly doubt Everton can afford to give anyone 100k a week, especially with Gnonto and another player out in Italy expected to be coming in very soon.

And considering he's 38 and past the peak of his abilities, I highly doubt Ashley will be able to demand a wage like that. Luton certainly wouldn't be offering anything close, either.

Just putting it out there what I read somewhere else. I also read they were going to offer Leeds £15M for Gnonto,  can't see that happening at that price.

Tom Heaton looks likely though.

1 minute ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Just putting it out there what I read somewhere else. I also read they were going to offer Leeds £15M for Gnonto,  can't see that happening at that price.

Tom Heaton looks likely though.

Not sure how they're doing it for Gnonto, but they're using installments to pay for the Serie A player they're in for, probably similar here.

They'll have a budget they'll be able to spend without triggering FFP, but for a PL team that has to be upwards of, being generous, £60m. They could do £15M in one go but they'll be worried about leaving little room going forward.

Some sites are saying they're looking at Moussa Dembele and Jamie Vardy. Not looking great for them (although Vardy would probably work quite well, tbf)

Just watched the full interview (here). There's a lot to resonate with and some really good quotes. So fucking sad and fair play to him for coming out and speaking, that couldn't have been an easy thing to do. Reminds me a bit of Adam Strachan who clearly had so much going on. 

If anyone ever needs a chat then my PMs are open. There's a Depression Thread in GN which is incredible and there are so many people on the forum able to give support if needed. Take care of yourselves.

46 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Some story Dele Alli has. Just shows that we do judge people too hard at times. He hasn't had his troubles to seek. Poor guy.

Now there's a proper player.  A proper Barclays man who just.......gets it, you know?

Seems he was a bit forced to come out before the press did it for him

Still very young, think it's easy to forget that a lot of these lads are in their bloody 20s, got to take some toll. 

Hopefully able to focus a bit more on his football now, but a long journey in front of him.

I used to laugh at the English media lauding any player with a bit of promise breaking through in the EPL but Dele was one I felt would break the mould to be potentially a world beater but his quick demise really baffled me. He was one who's talent really seemed to match the hype. Regardless now I hope he just enjoys his life now and whatever level of football he ends up at.

4 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

I always had a feeling Dele’s demise had more to it. What a tough upbringing he had had. I hope he can turn it around and get back to his best on the pitch. 

I felt the same as well. He was such a talent in his first couple of years at Spurs that you just thought there’s no way that his playing levels could’ve fallen so much without something going on behind the scenes. Hopefully he gets all the support he needs.

Edited by ArabGaz