Huw Edwards

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

Calm down man. This isn't a binary. Accents are great (ironically I'm defending someone from West Lothian,  which is an awful accent) but he's right that lazy English isn't great for broadcasters. And aye, pronouncing a "th" as "f" is pretty lazy, ditto the "could of" nonsense that Stewart spouts which is simply wrong.

A pet hate of mine is "th" being pronounced as "f". I automatically think 'Moron!'. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

A pet hate of mine is "th" being pronounced as "f". I automatically think 'Moron!'. 

I did this for my whole life up until my partner picked me up on it several years ago. I didn’t even hear them as being different sounds until she pointed it out and I struggled to correct it for a while. I had to properly think about it every time I said it until I got the hang of it. Even now I’ll sometimes mispronounce them on the odd occasion, and then cringe as soon as I’ve said it.

I’m amazed that no teacher or parent ever picked me up on it when I was younger. It must be some sort of speech impediment.

And yes, I’m a moron, I know.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

I did this for my whole life up until my partner picked me up on it several years ago. I didn’t even hear them as being different sounds until she pointed it out and I struggled to correct it for a while. I had to properly think about it every time I said it until I got the hang of it. Even now I’ll sometimes mispronounce them on the odd occasion, and then cringe as soon as I’ve said it.

I’m amazed that no teacher or parent ever picked me up on it when I was younger. It must be some sort of speech impediment.

^^^Smiffy.

microsoftteams-image-63.png

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

I dunno, I'm not in Glasgow very often but I spot it pretty often in the city centre when I'm through. Quite amusing.

I've a theory it's the American influence, considering there's a bit of a drawl in there. No idea if it's deliberate, but seems to be affected by young professionals who are either embarrassed about sounding lower-class than their colleagues, or find people struggling to understand them at work; kind of like how everyone has a phone voice.

I was going to say it's a sort of American-Scottish hybrid accent, interspersed with the word 'like'. I heard a student on the train recently and 'like' was used twice in every sentence, I swear to God.

10 hours ago, eez-eh said:

My girlfriends family all talk like this, perhaps it's an Ayrshire fing. 

I remember primary 1. This would be 40 years ago now. We started the class and one boy pronounced th as f. The teacher was a right stickler and we went over our sounds over and over again. But this lad got extra attention, over and over again. He had to say th. 

It did work, I should add. He changed his f to th. But the way it was done would never get allowed nowadays. Singled him out, and made him go over it over and over and over again.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

My girlfriends family all talk like this, perhaps it's an Ayrshire fing. 

I've been in Ayr for 17 years and never heard such a thing from the 6 fingered yokels up country. Plenty of yins and twas and similar annoyances though. Its like they can't possibly be heard to pronounce words 'properly' and feel the need to change them to something incomprehensible.