The bombing of Yogi Hughes career

15 hours ago, Mr Meeker said:

Home Alone was the pinnacle for me. Ferris Bueller's Day Off was also worth a mention.  

Breakfast Club, anything else is bullshit

12 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I can’t remember who the manager was, but I’m sure it was Ryan O’Leary that had come forward about being bullied for having depression. 

Jeffries, Calderwood and Paatel, Pateli, Pattelinnnn Mixu were afore he was out for months with depression...

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Mind when he got the groundsman at Raith to do the team talk?

Raith were then relegated in the playoffs by Brechin, the same Brechin who then went on to amass 4 whole points in the Championship.

I’m sure in the interview with Bobby Barr I listened to he basically said that categorically did not happen and the kitman never once gave a team talk. Not like Yogi to tell porkies :lol:

10 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

The Campbells?  John McGlynn? Until recently, Ian McCall?

Fair point.

3 out of 40 League clubs though with McGlynn not particularly popular with the Falkirk fans (but who is?!) and it remains to be seen if Ian McCall gets another gig.

Maybe McCall is now on a par with Yogi- not a bad record but will anybody hire him? 

2 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I’m sure in the interview with Bobby Barr I listened to he basically said that categorically did not happen and the kitman never once gave a team talk. Not like Yogi to tell porkies :lol:

Aye he lies ridiculously often and it’s stuff so easily proved wrong, f**k knows who he thinks he’s fooling.

he went on a long wild explanation on why he was not playing, and ultimately releasing Vytas Gašpuitis about how him being right footed made him unsuited to playing and it needed to be a left footed player playing in that position of course he signed a right footed replacement.  

21 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

There was obv history between him and Deuchar, maybe from Falkirk times, as Kenny tweeted that'll be his last game for Livi then, when Hughes was announced as our manager.

At Livi he hated flair players, that would dribble past opposition players and run with the ball, Bobby Barr and Dylan Easton both did that. He shackled Scougall though, moving him back to a DM, to bring the ball out of defence, because none of our CB's were capable of doing so, without losing the ball and ending with us conceding goals. Dunfermline away was the last straw for our fans, where Pars strikers stayed up the pitch waiting on our keeper rolling the ball out to a CB, then pressing them and winning possession, knocking 4 goals in against us. If our keeper hadn't kept on rolling the ball out, even when it was so obvious we'd get pressed and mugged every time, Hughes would've sent him to Coventry (or East Fife on loan, as he did Barr).

Bobby Barr's crime was to take players on and score 2 goals against Falkirk in an away game, which we won, he ignored Barr running over to celebrate his goal, and looked raging at him, Barr said he got told not to bother coming in for training, he was done at Livi. Ostracized for running with the ball, and not playing tippy tappy football.

Came across as a big galoot that would bully his players, and punt any that stood up to him.

That Dunfermline game sticks in my mind as being one of the most insane experiences I've ever had at the football. The keeper and defenders had clearly been told 'Under no circumstances are you to play a long ball', and they were terrified of playing any pass over 15 yards. This blatantly obvious tactic had an equally obvious weakness, in that you can surround the ball and press a lot harder if you know exactly what your opponent is going to do.

IIRC, and it was a long time ago so I might be mixing up games here, at 4-0 the keeper did punt it at one point, to cheers from the crowd, and a bollocking from Yogi. One of the few times in a football stadium that I genuinely believed that I knew football more than the manager did.

I remember being impressed with him at his starting press conferences as well. Talking about how football was a full time job, and that even if players weren't out on the pitch throughout that time then they'd be doing tactical work in classrooms instead. Which sounds great on the surface, but when the tactics being pushed are 'even if someones being marked out of the game you must pass to them', then it's not a surprise he's hated. One of the shittest Livi managers of all time, only bested by Lambert & Preston IMO

Unrelated to management but in his playing days at Ayr, he was constantly moaning at younger players who went down under a challenge.
Well sure as hell, he got lamped at a corner and was down holding his knee like he'd stood on a landmine, and I thought this was the ideal moment to give him some shite.
"Here Yogi, get up it's a man's game" as he'd shouted that at one of the lads earlier in the same game

well f**k me, didn't he leap to his feet, knocking the physio over and start roaring that he was gonny knock ma cnut in 😂

1 hour ago, thruthenight said:

That Dunfermline game sticks in my mind as being one of the most insane experiences I've ever had at the football. The keeper and defenders had clearly been told 'Under no circumstances are you to play a long ball', and they were terrified of playing any pass over 15 yards. This blatantly obvious tactic had an equally obvious weakness, in that you can surround the ball and press a lot harder if you know exactly what your opponent is going to do.

IIRC, and it was a long time ago so I might be mixing up games here, at 4-0 the keeper did punt it at one point, to cheers from the crowd, and a bollocking from Yogi. One of the few times in a football stadium that I genuinely believed that I knew football more than the manager did.

I remember being impressed with him at his starting press conferences as well. Talking about how football was a full time job, and that even if players weren't out on the pitch throughout that time then they'd be doing tactical work in classrooms instead. Which sounds great on the surface, but when the tactics being pushed are 'even if someones being marked out of the game you must pass to them', then it's not a surprise he's hated. One of the shittest Livi managers of all time, only bested by Lambert & Preston IMO

Yeah passing it out from the back is fine, if you've the players skilled to do it, that can deal with being pressed. He did the same at Hartlepool (i went on their fans forum for a swatch to see opinions of him after a few weeks), and they were all questioning why he persisted with this shite when their CB's weren't capable of dealing with being pressed like that. Sure he did finally dump it and got a MoTM when they played the long ball more, ultimately took them down though, and got punted. If your players aren't able to deal with a high press though, why not mix it up a bit, hitting the odd long ball, just so opposition players can't predict your GK's distribution, then they wont be pressing you as much in defence. Even Man City hit the odd long pass, it's nonsense thinking only short passes is the way to play 'proper football'.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah passing it out from the back is fine, if you've the players skilled to do it, that can deal with being pressed. He did the same at Hartlepool (i went on their fans forum for a swatch to see opinions of him after a few weeks), and they were all questioning why he persisted with this shite when their CB's weren't capable of dealing with being pressed like that. Sure he did finally dump it and got a MoTM when they played the long ball more, ultimately took them down though, and got punted. If your players aren't able to deal with a high press though, why not mix it up a bit, hitting the odd long ball, just so opposition players can't predict your GK's distribution, then they wont be pressing you as much in defence. Even Man City hit the odd long pass, it's nonsense thinking only short passes is the way to play 'proper football'.

This comes back to his basic lack of intelligence.

He'd got some narrow notion of the 'right' way to play, and clearly, dogmatically clung to it, regardless of the capabilities of the players he was in charge of.  

It looks more as if the real question concerns not why his career bombed, but how it ever scaled heights.

They say a week is a long time in football. What should also be said, is that a decade in football seems like a month to some people. His success at ICT was what, eight years ago? And of his last shree gigs since then, two have been unmitigated disasters. 

The notion that he was ever a good manager can be argued either way (as a Livi manager he was horrific). The notion that he is relevant today and should be mentioned in even the briefest of terms for today’s bigger jobs, is beyond laughable.

Edited by mozam76

4 hours ago, mozam76 said:

They say a week is a long time in football. What should also be said, is that a decade in football seems like a month to some people. His success at ICT was what, eight years ago? And his shree gigs since then have been unmitigated disasters. 

His short spell at Ross County wasn't.