Drinking Establishments

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Has anyone been to The Griffin since reopening? Looks to be getting run by Isle of Skye Brewery but not sure if they're making a c**t of it or not.

Was in a couple of weeks ago and it was alright. 

15 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Tried the Pillars for my first pint, looks ideal for the afternoon but a bit racy for my sensitive tastes on a Friday evening. Liking the Trades, managed to find a corner table to watch the Scum v United game. Going to let my nearest and dearest know I'll be heading for the Arctic next, just in case... 😁 

Did you survive? 😁

On 05/11/2023 at 14:13, jagfox said:

Sounds spot on. There used to be a decent wee pub in Kilmarnock Station. I doubt if it will still be there. 

There used to be a pub in Coleraine Station, the Pullman Bar. Bit of a dive, but straight out the door onto the train. Long gone.

Edited by Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

Advice required please............Need a recommendation for a good old guys boozer on Dumbarton Rd., preferably not too far from Partick subway.

TIA.

ETA - Rosevale or The Windsor.........any good ?

If you’re a Rangers fan then yes. 

Deoch N Doris is decent, Smiddy ok. Three Judges isn’t too far away and is right across from Kelvinhall Subway 

On 11/11/2023 at 12:55, Florentine_Pogen said:

Advice required please............Need a recommendation for a good old guys boozer on Dumbarton Rd., preferably not too far from Partick subway.

TIA.

ETA - Rosevale or The Windsor.........any good ?

Probably a bit late, but Deoch An Dorus a good shout. 

On 10/11/2023 at 18:56, Cosmic Joe said:

Caw's across from the entrance to the Wellgate or there's a place just outside the Keillor Centre, buggered if I can mind the name. 

On 11/11/2023 at 13:11, welshbairn said:

I chickened out and had an early night, will give it a go when I get back from Brechin for the fitbaw today. 😁

There are plenty more mature gentlemen in the Arctic on a Friday and Saturday night but they're usually PCP'd out their tits. There is one guy with the whole cast of the Simpsons tattooed from ear to ear around the back of his head. Some place.

I'd recommend you try the Bush bar.

On 11/11/2023 at 14:52, The Golden God said:

If you’re a Rangers fan then yes. 

Deoch N Doris is decent, Smiddy ok. Three Judges isn’t too far away and is right across from Kelvinhall Subway 

1 hour ago, thistledo said:

Probably a bit late, but Deoch An Dorus a good shout. 

Thanks guys. Deoch An Dorus it was after a very good vegan meal in Suissi.

On 11/11/2023 at 13:41, Jacksgranda said:

There used to be a pub in Coleraine Station, the Pullman Bar. Bit of a dive, but straight out the door onto the train. Long gone.

Wasn't the best bar but the one on Dundee station platform was handy for a last pint and didn't have to finish pint until you saw the train at window.

Gone with the modernisation.

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Wasn't the best bar but the one on Dundee station platform was handy for a last pint and didn't have to finish pint until you saw the train at window.

The old station bar was good fun. 

Tartan Special on draught - when Tartan Special seemed like a decent pint on your way back from Forfar or Brechin in early 80s.

19 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The old station bar was good fun. 

Tartan Special on draught - when Tartan Special seemed like a decent pint on your way back from Forfar or Brechin in early 80s.

I'm sure they had that in the Kilmarnock version.

On 11/11/2023 at 13:41, Jacksgranda said:

Was in the one opposite the entrance to the station there back in the spring, not particularly good or bad but did like all the old maps and historical bits and pieces they had about.

(EDIT - the Railway Arms according to Maps)

5 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Was never the same after they got rid of that huge bridge towards the city centre years ago IMO.

Edited by southernrover

thomsons2.jpg.ca5a25e4885704750cffa22799235632.jpgthomson1.jpg.3b3f4a6fe8a9f3e5db33e1f8ace6f837.jpg

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Same for Haymarket please, I'm staying just across the road from the station. 

Thomson's, about 400 yards up Morrison St from Haymarket. No music, no puggies, great pies.

ETA - Good beers too, usually several guest ales but their Belhaven Best is top drawer !

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

thomsons2.jpg.ca5a25e4885704750cffa22799235632.jpgthomson1.jpg.3b3f4a6fe8a9f3e5db33e1f8ace6f837.jpg

Thomson's, about 400 yards up Morrison St from Haymarket. No music, no puggies, great pies.

ETA - Good beers too, usually several guest ales but their Belhaven Best is top drawer !

An excellent recommendation my good man, in my dotage the lack of canned music is bliss. 

17000715755804625849385798460120.thumb.jpg.36f19c5354a1014d1bdc165fb50c605a.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

On 13/11/2023 at 16:19, MEADOWXI said:

I found that pub so depressing. Thank goodness it’s gone. Star and Garter was the place to drink near the station. The train drivers used to be in there too.