Drinking Establishments

Anne Stratherns in Paisley next to the fire station was a good pub that poured a great pint of Tennent’s. Not sure what it’s called now. Its been 25 years since I was in it  it may have changed somewhat  

Thompson’s (I think) in Dundee was one of about four pubs that rotated £1 for any half Thursday-Sunday. It was also a good laugh 25 years ago when visiting student mates. 

The Mallard in Dingwall gets special mention for having the train line out the back door as well as being a good after football pub.

I will have a few more I’m sure. 

Another fine pair of Elgin establishments was the double trouble of The Gokdwn Pheasant and The Rising Sun. The latter had a jelly like substance oozing from the walls as well as fungi. A pot belly pig would also sometimes make an appearance in the pool room.

11 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Quite a few mentions for the Guildford, has anyone found the basement booth in the pub?

There is one down a small flight of stairs at the back but is there one in a proper basement?

49 minutes ago, 101 said:

The Jolly Judge in Edinburgh is decent.

Over the bridge, The Old Inn and The Bruce Tavern would be my picks of Dunfermline. The Red Lion in Culross is decent.

Dunfermline has a decent amount of fairly good pubs quite close together. The Old Inn, Creepy Wee, Somewhere Else, The Commercial amongst others.

The Bruce however is about my least favourite... unpleasant smells, unpleasant drinkers and that weird set of stairs behind the bar.

Enjoy.

My local boozer had 3 murders, multiple stabbings, including myself.

Bar - pool (free). Chalk your name, if you get beat, buy the winner a drink.  Very simple stuff.

Dominoes in the corner, darts on the right.   Whats not to like....

Outsiders....

One afternoon, I tell you, me and my bro playing and drinking, get hooked up, too lads large and smart want some of it. White ball goes smash, next thing we were on top of each other,  the gaffer like Slips get the f**k out of here you loser.....

We did return in the evening all suited up with the trench coat. Long enough hide a sword....one of the scariest things many people in that pub have ever seen in there life

Looking back, maybe I should have released it like f**k samari, .

I did move to England shire not to long after

2 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Enjoy.

Bar - pool (free). Chalk your name, if you get beat, buy the winner a drink.  Very simple stuff.

Outsiders....

One afternoon, I tell you, me and my bro playing and drinking, get hooked up, too lads large and smart want some of it. White ball goes smash, next thing we were on top of each other,  the gaffer like Slips get the f**k out of here you loser.....

We did return in the evening all suited up with the trench coat. Long enough hide a sword....one of the scariest things many people in that pub have ever seen in there life

So you've been to Methil then SP? 

On 21/10/2023 at 12:38, Florentine_Pogen said:

The last time I tried to get in to The Canny Man's was in January 1982. The reason this date is so memorable is because I'd come back to Edinburgh for the Architectural Winter School and I thought I'd show some of my classmates a few decent Edinburgh pubs. One of them was Bem from Lagos. There was a group of us and Bem and I were at the rear, everyone walked in and approached the bar but as soon as the cvnt in the blazer saw Bem, it was suddenly "Sorry, private party, invitees only"...............I've never been so embarrassed in my life and have never darkened the door of that place since. Invergowrie Arab has nailed it above.

That your way of saying you never took your Nigerian mate there again?

Seen a couple of mentions of Paisley, only ever been once really (probably for the best, etc.), but was taken by the Bull Inn just off the High Street.

It's a Stonegate job, but does a decent array of beers and what have you, and still retains a lot of its original decor, including the snugs at the back. Certainly a bit of character to it at least.

19 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Enjoy.

Outsiders....

I mentioned earlier that I worked in Saddlers in Alloa. I loved it but didn't say why I quit. 

16 years old, working behind the bar, two guys sitting at the bar in front of me. One guy necks his drink, finishes it, calmly turns to the guy next to him and glasses him. Drives the glass into his face, pushing it in from the base. . Blood spurting everywhere, including on me. I can see the guy's teeth through his cheek. The bouncers grabbed him, police and ambulance arrive soon after and the pub shuts. 

I was shaken to say the least, just a wee laddie. Then a few days later (I wasn't there) a guy went into the toilet and got his face slashed with a knife. 

I phoned the boss and quit - I was just shit scared of going back. 

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I mentioned earlier that I worked in Saddlers in Alloa. I loved it but didn't say why I quit. 

16 years old, working behind the bar, two guys sitting at the bar in front of me. One guy necks his drink, finishes it, calmly turns to the guy next to him and glasses him. Drives the glass into his face, pushing it in from the base. . Blood spurting everywhere, including on me. I can see the guy's teeth through his cheek. The bouncers grabbed him, police and ambulance arrive soon after and the pub shuts. 

I was shaken to say the least, just a wee laddie. Then a few days later (I wasn't there) a guy went into the toilet and got his face slashed with a knife. 

I phoned the boss and quit - I was just shit scared of going back. 

I saw more trouble in Alloa when I drank there as a teenager in the late 90's than I ever saw in Glasgow or Edinburgh. I think it was all quite tribal there with teenagers from Alloa,  Sauchie, Clackmannan, Tullibody and the hillfoots all drinking in the same places., plus the young neds that used to hang about outside looking for trouble.  The taxi rank was a war zone at times.  I used to do the Treetops then Nighthawks doubler. I can barely fight sleep but I ended up getting dragged into a few scraps at kicking out time. The Meadowpark in Bridge of Allan and the wee shitty nightclub beside it could be quite mental too.  I got saved from a tanking at the hands of ex Stirling Albion and Alloa player/psycopath Chris 'kicky' Wood there by a bouncer who took pity on me.  I think I glanced in his general direction, so I can only blame myself.  Bizarrely I also met Colin Hendry in there.

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
Spelling

1 hour ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I saw more trouble in Alloa when I drank there as a teenager in the late 90's than I ever saw in Glasgow or Edinburgh. I think it was all quite tribal there with teenagers from Alloa,  Sauchie, Clackmannan, Tullibody and the hillfoots all drinking in the same places., plus the young neds that used to hang about outside looking for trouble.  The taxi rank was a war zone at times.  I used to do the Treetops then Nighthawks doubler. I can barely fight sleep but I ended up getting dragged into a few scraps at kicking out time. The Meadowpark in Bridge of Allan and the wee shitty nightclub beside it could be quite mental too.  I got saved from a tanking at the hands of ex Stirling Albion and Alloa player/psycopath Chris 'kicky' Wood there by a bouncer who took pity on me.  I think I glanced in his general direction, so I can only blame myself.  Bizarrely I also met Colin Hendry in there.

Treetops and Shitehawks in the late 90s - our paths probably crossed! 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Treetops and Shitehawks in the late 90s - our paths probably crossed! 

No doubt. I was from Clackmannan,went to Lornshill and worked at Safeway in my 6th year when it opened so knew lots of folk from the surrounding areas. I'd seen you talking about Somerfield and the guy getting crushed before, my pal Cammy worked there and was a witness at the hearing so you possibly worked with him. Treetops was okay, generally a good atmosphere in there . Nighthawks was grim. They had the cheek to turn you away if you had trainers on I saw a guy get glassed for dancing 'funny' in there. 

My haunt used to be the Halt Bar, went downhill and closed for a while. Now reopened as FF and owned by an ex-Rugby international so that gets priority over football on the TV. More food focused these days.

Living just off Byres Road I have been in most of the pubs mentioned. My 3 "favourites" would be The Three Judges, The Aragon and Tennants Bar.

On a matchday I'll nip into the Botany at top of QMD for a couple. More a foodie place but a decent selection of lagers.

If out with mates we usually wander up Garscube Road, to The Station Bar in Cowcaddens. A cracking pub with cheap and cheerful pub grub during the day.

A new kid on the block is Camerons on St Georges Road. Has had a refurb from its days as The Carnarvon. A pint of Tennents is only £3.50 or something too. Has sports on TVs too.

I like a pint in The Rock on Hyndland Road if I've  been out for a wander and heading home. £4 for a Tennents.

Partick has plenty of pubs most of which serve a purpose. Smiddy is good for a daytime pint or two too. 

Not done many southside pubs but off to Clockwork this afternoon for a prematch pint and catchup.

Cheers!