Drinking Establishments

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I used to go into the Cask & Barrel Southside when I was in that neck of the woods, but considering their Broughton Street counterpart has been charging above £6 for a pint of Peroni (not that I drink it) for at least 18 months, I'd imagine the Southside version can't be much further behind.

Normal beer in the Southside Cask is nowhere near that price.

Never understood why Peroni is so expensive, maybe they expect us to be all continental and drink it as Colonel Gaddafi's?

On 18/10/2023 at 10:58, Florentine_Pogen said:

Is the Balgay on Blackness Road still open  ? Used to be my pal's local. 'Interesting' clientele.

I used to drink in the Balgay every Sunday lunchtime and a fair chunk of Saturday lunchtimes for years back in the late 70s early 80s. The clientele were interesting even back then. Really good pub though back then.

6 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

When back in Irvine almost every establishment I used to drink in is gone,

Crown, Kings, Attic, Ruby Tuesday, Amandas, Eglinton.

Fortunately Porthead & Turf fight on as decent pubs.

Eglinton completely rebuilt as a soulless Belhaven and a Wetherspoon stuck on the end of Mall shopping centre have most of the town business.

In Aberdeen first regulars were the Pittodrie (still a decent pub on all but match days - just too busy) and the Marischal (it was closed and became the first and original Brewdog pub and is still that.

Regular of Wilsons strange mix of folk, decent beer, always has sport on and live music at weekends, and still one of cheapest in city centre.

A gone bad memory of Aberdeen is the East Neuk, one of only two pubs I have ever not finished my pint and left as it was undrinkable.

Other bad memory and never revisited was Coopers, only realised how rough it was when meeting someone there and as I walked in someone took a run at me and kicked me in the side of the head. After it was all calmed my assailant apologised as he thought I was someone else. I have never gone back there.

I can proudly claim to have drunk in every bar in Aberdeen city centre, and a wee bit further that has been open in the last 2 decades and can issue a review of any of them, from Peep Peeps to Masada to Rowan Tree to Broadsword and beyond, we all need a hobby or two.

I used to stay a few doors down from the East Neuk and only went in once. Rumour was that they sold pints poured out of drip trays to tramps in exchange for a handful of coppers. Never witnessed it but nothing about the place or the clientele made me doubt it.

7 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Regular of Wilsons

I used to be quite the regular in Wilsons too....

....and The Grampian.... 

....The White Cockade....

.....The Golden Tee....

....Murdos....

....Foundry....

....The Grays Inn...

....Butchers Arms....

.... I could go on but we probably crossed paths at some point!

29 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I used to be quite the regular in Wilsons too....

....and The Grampian.... 

....The White Cockade....

.....The Golden Tee....

....Murdos....

....Foundry....

....The Grays Inn...

....Butchers Arms....

.... I could go on but we probably crossed paths at some point!

That's quite the tour of Aberdonian bandit country. Torry, Northfield and Mastrick well represented there. Grays is a cracking pub though. 

The White Cockade and Grumpian (to pronounce it correctly) are equidistant from my flat. Torry pubs are very weird, but the Gramp is probably the friendliest. The Victoria is the most redneck bar in the entire city. 

26 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

What's this place like? It's on my hitlist when I get the chance in Aberdeen.

Weirdly they do a reggae night once a month which is decent. It's a DJ rather than bands. 

They have a heated beer garden which is pretty nice actually. It's also just along from Thain's bakers which opens late if you fancy some post pub stovies or pehs. 

When I lived in the Albert Street area of Dundee, we used to frequent the Balmore, which I think is still there. In the late 70s it was one of the trailblazers that sold Flemings steak pies, absolutely revolutionary at the time. A great pub, but my main memory of the Balmore is watching the Scotland Iran match in the 78 World Cup there. 

49 minutes ago, velo army said:

Weirdly they do a reggae night once a month which is decent. It's a DJ rather than bands. 

They have a heated beer garden which is pretty nice actually. It's also just along from Thain's bakers which opens late if you fancy some post pub stovies or pehs. 

Thains is fucking braw. Decent grub and everyone in there is like it's their first day and they just want to jack it on the spot.

JG Ross' is shite. Terrible.

Was recently informed of Aitkens and their once wonderful butteries (thats right Johnny). I said "Sake, baking butteries to beastin' bairns" and one guy overheard and just - without saying a word before or after it - "Aye, its a slippery slope"

:lol:

39 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When I lived in the Albert Street area of Dundee, we used to frequent the Balmore, which I think is still there. 

Still there. Decent boozer. Recentl5 done up to a pretty decent standard. Apart from the pishers, preferred it's old look. It's basically a hoooker in Victoria's Secret now.

Edited by Derry Alli

45 minutes ago, velo army said:

That's quite the tour of Aberdonian bandit country. Torry, Northfield and Mastrick well represented there. Grays is a cracking pub though. 

The White Cockade and Grumpian (to pronounce it correctly) are equidistant from my flat. Torry pubs are very weird, but the Gramp is probably the friendliest. The Victoria is the most redneck bar in the entire city. 

I was quite the Aberdonian bandit at one time! I lived in Torry for a while, also drank a lot in Woodside at the White Horse and along Great Northern road to the Central.

45 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

When I lived in the Albert Street area of Dundee, we used to frequent the Balmore, which I think is still there. In the late 70s it was one of the trailblazers that sold Flemings steak pies, absolutely revolutionary at the time. A great pub, but my main memory of the Balmore is watching the Scotland Iran match in the 78 World Cup there. 

My auld man was never oot of the Albert Bar and later the Windsor in the late 70's/early 80's.