Drinking Establishments

40 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Is Peep Peeps the pub from the infamous YouTube video about “hard pubs”? :lol:

Yes, shithole pub, with an arsehole landlord and both long gone. Was only really visited as used to be part of the harbour pub crawl, sadly many of the pubs on the crawl are gone. 

The ones on the crawl I remember were,

St Clements - rough and gone - and frequently by very undesirable junkie street hookers

Neptune - Gone

Fittie - Good pub still on go and worth a pub lunch and evening drink after work

Peep Peep - gladly gone

Quarterdeck - boring and gone to a cafe

Regent Bridge - A proper harbour drinking pub

Crown & Anchor - Same as Regent, and just about next door  - gone to flats

Moorings - good live music and beer, now called Krakatoa and lively and strange.

Sure I've missed a couple

5 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Yes, shithole pub, with an arsehole landlord and both long gone. Was only really visited as used to be part of the harbour pub crawl, sadly many of the pubs on the crawl are gone. 

The ones on the crawl I remember were,

St Clements - rough and gone - and frequently by very undesirable junkie street hookers

Neptune - Gone

Fittie - Good pub still on go and worth a pub lunch and evening drink after work

Peep Peep - gladly gone

Quarterdeck - boring and gone to a cafe

Regent Bridge - A proper harbour drinking pub

Crown & Anchor - Same as Regent, and just about next door  - gone to flats

Moorings - good live music and beer, now called Krakatoa and lively and strange.

Sure I've missed a couple

Went to the fiftie after being bored up on a course and went to view the wee houses and must admit it was a funny old mix. Travellers sitting outside, American tourists inside with workies and locals. Was by myself so sat back and people watched for a bit, Guinness went down tremendously despite it being a hot old day.

Weird seeing the Abbey in Newington getting mentions because it used to be a shithole. Good few folk used to drink in there who had been punted from the Grapes, but every time I've been past lately it looks like a totally different clientele.

Can't beat a pint of 80/- in Diggers. Always good beers on in the Guildford, and I enjoy the Cumberland's sunday roasts even though the staff all look like they've just come straight from a Young Tory Farmers' convention.

Just now, Boo Khaki said:

Weird seeing the Abbey in Newington getting mentions because it used to be a shithole. Good few folk used to drink in there who had been punted from the Grapes, but every time I've been past lately it looks like a totally different clientele.

Can't beat a pint of 80/- in Diggers. Always good beers on in the Guildford, and I enjoy the Cumberland's sunday roasts even though the staff all look like they've just come straight from a Young Tory Farmers' convention.

It certainly did but I think after the smoking ban came in, many of the 'characters' fecked off and the guy who has the place now has really invested in the food side of the place, along with the very impressive whisky stock. Very popular with tourists and AFAIK, it's one of the last reasonably priced pubs going into town before you hit the £5.50/£6.00 a pint shops. If only the landlord would invest in better quality TV's it would be even better.

11 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

As I mentioned in the whisky thread it's almost unique in Edinburgh in having a superb whisky collection but also reasonably priced and not full of whisky dicks.

Seems to get a decent mix of #ladz, students, tourists and locals and seems to have a good buzz about it from lunchtime onwards.

It's puts me in mind of what uni adjecent Edinburgh pubs might have been like when working class people and people from Edinburgh were allowed to live there.

On 17/10/2023 at 12:06, alta-pete said:

In Glasgow you cannot beat The State Bar on Holland Street, albeit a bit of a hoof from everywhere. 

The State is fantastic

Am currently browsing this page having a quick afternoon solo pint in the abbey inn in kinloss,watching the red warning gales outside the window,bliss.

The Abbey is no State or Market bar but it's still a lovely bar

Other honourable mentions-mathers in Edinburgh,market arms in Banff,bridge bar in Aberdeen,dynamo in Dundee,tooth&claw and the glenalbyn in inverness

Edited by highlandmac

11 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

It certainly did but I think after the smoking ban came in, many of the 'characters' fecked off and the guy who has the place now has really invested in the food side of the place, along with the very impressive whisky stock. Very popular with tourists and AFAIK, it's one of the last reasonably priced pubs going into town before you hit the £5.50/£6.00 a pint shops. If only the landlord would invest in better quality TV's it would be even better.

I used to go into the Cask & Barrel Southside when I was in that neck of the woods, but considering their Broughton Street counterpart has been charging above £6 for a pint of Peroni (not that I drink it) for at least 18 months, I'd imagine the Southside version can't be much further behind.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I used to go into the Cask & Barrel Southside when I was in that neck of the woods, but considering their Broughton Street counterpart has been charging above £6 for a pint of Peroni (not that I drink it) for at least 18 months, I'd imagine the Southside version can't be much further behind.

I'm a Belhaven Best lightweight these days (3.2%) but a very reasonable £4.20/pint in The Abbey.

I love this thread already, but would challenge @scottsdad and say that we have enough negative threads, let's keep the energy of this one positive.

The Crooked Lum in East Kilbride holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Many a drunken night as a teenager and every year of my 20's my mate would start his birthday (Xmas eve) there. All my mates from school would be there too so it always has a warm and cosy vibe when I think about it.

I've been a bit of a drinker since moving North East and used to spend easily £100 a week in pubs. Ma Cameron's for watching fitba is great, Blackfriars for cosiness and The Tippling House, Drummonds or The Grill for the introverted solo inebriation. Triple Kirk's has the best atmosphere though.

I fucking love drinking in pubs but it's very expensive now. I was £6 a pint in TK's the other night which adds financial guilt to the hangover.

When at Uni in Glasgow always used to like The Horseshoe - not been in for 25 years.

doubtful about the claims on the 80/ in Diggers - was in over the summer and it was poor. 

to be a bit more exotic

if you are ever in Tokyo then Geronimos is worth a visit 

in Hong Kong - The Globe stands as as being the closest to a pub in a world full of bars….

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

I love this thread already, but would challenge @scottsdad and say that we have enough negative threads, let's keep the energy of this one positive.

The Crooked Lum in East Kilbride holds a lot of nostalgia for me. Many a drunken night as a teenager and every year of my 20's my mate would start his birthday (Xmas eve) there. All my mates from school would be there too so it always has a warm and cosy vibe when I think about it.

I've been a bit of a drinker since moving North East and used to spend easily £100 a week in pubs. Ma Cameron's for watching fitba is great, Blackfriars for cosiness and The Tippling House, Drummonds or The Grill for the introverted solo inebriation. Triple Kirk's has the best atmosphere though.

I fucking love drinking in pubs but it's very expensive now. I was £6 a pint in TK's the other night which adds financial guilt to the hangover.

Fair enough!

Let's say instead if you have a funny/amusing story about a dump of a place, it's welcome here. Keep it light. 

Can't believe I missed Saddlers in Alloa off my list. I got a job there as a 16 year old washing the glasses. Paid in cash, and in beer. It was a very nice building, had 2 bars. It was packed on Fridays and Saturdays, my working nights. The only downsides were the smoke (this was ~1995, pre-smoking ban), some nights it got to my eyes, and the occasional bit of fisticuffs. We had bouncers on the door and they dealt with it all pretty quickly. 

That place has memories of many, many "firsts" for me. Hogmanay was an utter blast, lots of folk having a blast. This was the height of Britpop, and so Blur and Oasis playing on heavy rotation. It was brilliant. 

16 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The B&B we stayed at in Blackpool on a mate’s stag had a bar, of sorts, with a big sign - seriously about A5 size - with ‘out of date Quavers 10p’ behind it. I wasn’t expecting Gleneagles but that seemed a bit unnecessarily desolate. 

That'll be 10p mate

1.jpg

I used to really like Driftwood at Charing Cross in Glasgow when I was a student (02-06). I went back in a couple of years ago and ordered a bottle of peroni which was haphazardly decanted into a plastic pint tumbler and paid about a fiver for the privilege. Needless to say I fucked off after that.