Drinking Establishments

32 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

The Canny Man's is awful IMO. It should be good but full of the worst c***s in Edinburgh and therefore planet earth. 

17 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Never really found it to be like that, but admittedly a bit biased as it’s my local and it’s got a great whisky selection and decent beers.

Shots fired...

7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

More shots fired...

I've only been twice tbf, and this was in the days that the bar staff used to walk around in white shirts and aprons and they had that attention seeking shite set of rules on the wall, so it may have changed and the owner was definitely the biggest arsehole connected to the place.

However, I have just read on their website that  Rick Stein called the Canny Man's "the best pub in the world". 

At which point the prosecution rests 

39 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

it may have changed and the owner was definitely the biggest arsehole connected to the place.

This is undoubtedly true.

He has retired or died, and his daughter now runs the place - I understand it is much improved (although I havent been in for about 10 years).

Never been in the canny man's even though at one point I lived opposite the place. Gave out a vibe similar to one of those invite only flat roofed establishments but achieved through snobbery rather than a pool cue to the teeth. Talking of which I now live near the Good Companions and I've never darkened it's doors in 10+ years due to its rep (deserved or not)

21 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

This is undoubtedly true.

He has retired or died, and his daughter now runs the place - I understand it is much improved (although I havent been in for about 10 years).

Aye he died. Tbf the first time I went in I thought the daughter was a bit of an arsehole but been in plenty since and always been good.

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is this all because I'm Raging at getting charged 13 quid for some chicken mayo on one slice of rye bread? Quite possibly 

Judging a drinking pub on its food selection/pricing is disgusting behaviour. 

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The Canny Man's is awful IMO. It should be good but full of the worst c***s in Edinburgh and therefore planet earth. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Never really found it to be like that, but admittedly a bit biased as it’s my local and it’s got a great whisky selection and decent beers.

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

Seconded, half decent pub full of awful people in my experience   

1 hour ago, GHF-23 said:

I've only been twice tbf, and this was in the days that the bar staff used to walk around in white shirts and aprons and they had that attention seeking shite set of rules on the wall, so it may have changed and the owner was definitely the biggest arsehole connected to the place.

However, I have just read on their website that  Rick Stein called the Canny Man's "the best pub in the world". 

At which point the prosecution rests 

20 minutes ago, orfc said:

Never been in the canny man's even though at one point I lived opposite the place. Gave out a vibe similar to one of those invite only flat roofed establishments but achieved through snobbery rather than a pool cue to the teeth. Talking of which I now live near the Good Companions and I've never darkened it's doors in 10+ years due to its rep (deserved or not)

The last time I tried to get in to The Canny Man's was in January 1982. The reason this date is so memorable is because I'd come back to Edinburgh for the Architectural Winter School and I thought I'd show some of my classmates a few decent Edinburgh pubs. One of them was Bem from Lagos. There was a group of us and Bem and I were at the rear, everyone walked in and approached the bar but as soon as the cvnt in the blazer saw Bem, it was suddenly "Sorry, private party, invitees only"...............I've never been so embarrassed in my life and have never darkened the door of that place since. Invergowrie Arab has nailed it above.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Brauhaus, Bennets (both Tollcross & Morningside), Guildford Arms, Diggers, Windsor, Canny Mans are decent in Edinburgh off the top of my head. 

Weird seeing The Abbey being mentioned positively, the guys I know who went to Uni in Edinburgh said it was known as an absolute dive filled with nutters only <10 years ago. Need to give it a shot.

Guildford, Abbotsford, Cumberland & Ryries are all owned/ran by the same people. All decent pubs.

8 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Guildford, Abbotsford, Cumberland & Ryries are all owned/ran by the same people. All decent pubs.

Agreed they run good boozers.............although heres an oddity.

I have never liked Abbotsford as a pub, even back to the days when I worked in St A Sq, I never liked it. My uncle loves it so when I take him for a beer we have to go there !

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Agreed they run good boozers.............although heres an oddity.

I have never liked Abbotsford as a pub, even back to the days when I worked in St A Sq, I never liked it. My uncle loves it so when I take him for a beer we have to go there !

On the odd occasion when I go to M&S in Princes St., always take the rear entrance to Rose St. and into The Abbotsford for a couple......only downside is I have to make do with Caledonia Best rather than Belhaven........grrrrr........:guinness