Drinking Establishments

The Douglas Hotel in Clydebank. A pub so dismal it was ended up in Trainspotting 2.  First place I was served, when I was 16. Used to let us sit in the corner as long as we kept the noise down and stayed off the jukebox. The lassie who worked the bar at the weekend was a cleaner at our school(Which was directly across the street from the pub) during the week. She’d give us dogs abuse when we were in the pub for being at school, and give us dogs abuse in school for being pished at the weekend in the pub. Started drinking in there in 1998 and I don’t think a single thing in the bar changed between then and it closing a few years ago, other than the toilets being renovated. I know folk who had been drinking in there a hell of a lot longer than that, and they couldn’t recall it ever having been done up in their time either.

Edited by Ross.

All my old haunts in Alloa have gone. 

I spent a fair chunk of 1997-2000 in Tree Tops. Usually a good DJ, al my mates there. Good atmosphere. It's now a bike shop, I think. 

When I got older I would go to the Claremont Lodge hotel, and would sit with my mates talking and drinking. Still a hotel I think but with a new name and all renovated. 

Then the other place - the Leisure Bowl. Met the wife there. Where they had snooker and pool tables. Where they put UV lights in the toilets so that junkies couldn't see their veins and shoot up. Always had sport on the TV and comfortable couches. Now knocked down. 

My brother was a regular at the Primrose Bar (aka The Prim). It's had a renovation and now goes under the pseudonym McGregors. 

14 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I miss the 3 kings in Cullen. Was a great boozer. 

Loved The Ark when I lived in Glasgow. Many a drunken Friday night spent in there playing the quiz machines. 

That's what I miss most about pubs these days. I used to love playing the quiz machines and the pinball machines. Just don't see the fun in putting money into a bandit for one press of a button and lose your cash.

Only pinball I have seen recently was in Solid Rock in Glasgow, the old 1990's Ghostbusters one. Just had to give it a go.

First pub I went to as an under-ager was the Strath Bar in Dundee - it's still there.  Was a typical local with a bar and lounge bar on the other side. Nothing special about it other than it served us under-agers so filled a need.  I used to go through phases of going to different pubs without really have a true local but If I had to pick one it would be Sinatra's.  

A sad (or maybe not) indictment of how times have changed.

The Cross Keys in Alva used to be 6 deep at the bar from teatime on Friday til the last Sky Super Sunday evening game. (And as an aside many careers were ended as a result - the EPL game at lunchtime was used as the curer from Saturday night's excesses, and then, that as you were in the pub anyway and 1/2doz pints down, you may as well stay and watch the Championship game before the SPL game came on at 6pm - many Mondays were missed by many people).  Many friendships were made there but then Scottish & Newcastle spotted it, bought out the owner, killed the Tennents, installed Fosters and Kronenberg and that was the beginning of the end. Now lying empty as a gently deteriorating monument to its previous life.

In Glasgow you cannot beat The State Bar on Holland Street, albeit a bit of a hoof from everywhere. 

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

The Cross Keys in Alva used to be 6 deep at the bar from teatime on Friday til the last Sky Super Sunday evening game. (And as an aside many careers were ended as a result - the EPL game at lunchtime was used as the curer from Saturday night's excesses, and then, that as you were in the pub anyway and 1/2doz pints down, you may as well stay and watch the Championship game before the SPL game came on at 6pm - many Mondays were missed by many people).  Many friendships were made there but then Scottish & Newcastle spotted it, bought out the owner, killed the Tennents, installed Fosters and Kronenberg and that was the beginning of the end. Now lying empty as a gently deteriorating monument to its previous life.

In Glasgow you cannot beat The State Bar on Holland Street, albeit a bit of a hoof from everywhere

Not too much of a chore if tied in with the equally out of the way Bon Accord (and its framed Dundee United shirt IIRC) nearby I find. Then usually a hop on the Subway to the Three Judges and Lismore at Kelvinhall. 

The latter has printed on the urinals the names of the men complicit in the Highland Clearances, which is always good fun after a few pints.

24 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

That's what I miss most about pubs these days. I used to love playing the quiz machines and the pinball machines. Just don't see the fun in putting money into a bandit for one press of a button and lose your cash.

Only pinball I have seen recently was in Solid Rock in Glasgow, the old 1990's Ghostbusters one. Just had to give it a go.

I don't see the attraction in spending money in any machine in a pub, but everyone has their own taste.

If you're ever in the the Black Bull in Edinburgh, they have a pinball machine.

34 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

In Glasgow you cannot beat The State Bar on Holland Street, albeit a bit of a hoof from everywhere. 

Went out with a lass from Alva a long long time ago. Drunk in the Cross Keys a few times but if we were out that way we normally drank in a place in Menstrie. Can’t recall the name of it, but it had a wee burn running up the side.

Lived next door to the State Bar for a while too. Decent boozer for the most part, didn’t seem to attract the dafties or the student crowd.

I spent 5 months as an exchange student at Uppsala in Sweden. Instead of a student union there were (I think) 13 student Nations. Each represented a part of Sweden and these were the only places you could drink without going bankrupt. It was £4 a pint in 1999 - about twice what it was in Scotland at the time. 

I was a member of the Östgöta Nation. It had a great pub in the lower floor, and a ballroom upstairs. 

image-asset.jpeg#

However, I soon learned that it was a wee bit upmarket. More emphasis on formal dinners than pub drinking, so I spent most of my time at the Norrlands Nation. Far more of a party/drinking atmosphere there. Often live music and served great food at Orvar's. 

image-asset.jpeg