Drinking Establishments

5 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

In Dundee, The Trades. Always bustling, always good energy.

The Phoenix is a lovely wee place but some of the clientele are so far up their own arse it ruins the atmosphere.

The Gaiety. Great views out the windows. Insta pub.

Come over and say hi next time.

Phoenix is probably the last decent bar in the town IMO but now its up for sale no doubt it will turn to shite.

Bank Bar can be decent when they have a band on.

I'm just back from Cork and the Irish do drinking right. Pubs are busy from mid-morning, dark and full of snugs and refusing to sell food.

37 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Come over and say hi next time.

HaHa! I'm sure you're not the wee specky guy who sits at the end of the bar and just scowls at anybody having a good time.

Disagree about the Bank. Horrific pub.

24 minutes ago, throbber said:

I was staying at Apex hotel Dundee for September weekend and was in the phoenix and then a wine bar down near the discovery. Also ate out at the Caribbean place next to the Caird Hall.

Apex is a bit rough now, int'it?

Gidi Grill was spectacular down the docks. Never been since it centralised. Good few Caribbean places popping up now. There's one in Stobbie (!!) and everybody appears to be all about the jiynts.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

HaHa! I'm sure you're not the wee specky guy who sits at the end of the bar and just scowls at anybody having a good time.

Gidi Grill was spectacular down the docks. Never been since it centralised. Good few Caribbean places popping up now. There's one in Stobbie (!!) and everybody appears to be all about the jiynts.

It was a nice enough hotel - it was my first time staying there but has no complaints apart from jacuzzi was out of order.

The town centre was a bit more rustic than I had remembered, been years since I’ve been out there though.

Being aberdonian, but having lived in Dundee for a while, I nominateThe Cragshannoch, George St in Aberdeen , and The Scout, Temple lane in Dundee . Both absolute dumps, but a great vibe to them.. Both closed.

Edited by shuggz
missed a bit

18 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The Bungalow in Paisley (the original) was something else. Due to Glasgow councillors shiting it due to punk and subsequently making it next to impossible for small venues to get an entertainment licence, everyone came to Paisley.

The excitement of opening the door of the lounge and looking at the newly posted list of bands who would be playing...The Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Skids, Teardrop Explodes, The Associates, Aztec Camera and so many more.

A legendary 200 capacity which is sorely missed.

I was lucky to have seen the golden era of the Cuinzie Neuk, Kinghorn.

Bands from all over Scotland played over an 18 year period.

1 hour ago, shuggz said:

Being aberdonian, but having lived in Dundee for a while, I nominateThe Cragshannoch, George St in Aberdeen , and The Scout, Temple lane in Dundee . Both absolute dumps, but a great vibe to them.. Both closed.

Whereabouts on George Street was the The Cragshannoch?

14 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Was in the Gidi Grill on Sat, was really good.

21 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This thread is giving me the feels. 

See when you get into a bustling pub with some pals, and you hit that 3rd or 4th pint, maybe a bit of craic with some strangers, everything is funny as f**k. Everyone in the place loosening up a bit. You really just cannot fucking beat it. 

And then you have too many and the day after is a dark depressing day.

But totally agree with what you're saying so If anybody has any practical tips on how to keep that feeling Bairnardo is describing going over a number of hours without tipping over the edge into being blootered, I'm all ears. Actually probably more psychological tips as I know fine well why it's going wrong from a science point of view. 

1 minute ago, The Holiday Song said:

And then you have too many and the day after is a dark depressing day.

But totally agree with what you're saying so If anybody has any practical tips on how to keep that feeling Bairnardo is describing going over a number of hours without tipping over the edge into being blootered, I'm all ears. Actually probably more psychological tips as I know fine well why it's going wrong from a science point of view. 

Iv had some long philosophical conversations on the matter. The best part is when your inhibitions are lowered but your charm and charisma are up at full. At that point, more drink will see you go downhill.... BUT, are you f**k refusing a drink 🤣

The drinkers conundrum 

19 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The Bungalow in Paisley (the original) was something else. Due to Glasgow councillors shiting it due to punk and subsequently making it next to impossible for small venues to get an entertainment licence, everyone came to Paisley.

The excitement of opening the door of the lounge and looking at the newly posted list of bands who would be playing...The Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Skids, Teardrop Explodes, The Associates, Aztec Camera and so many more.

A legendary 200 capacity which is sorely missed.

Yeah. Sorely missed. 😢 Great memories!

18 hours ago, alta-pete said:

If we’re on Paisley establishments, is The Wee Howff at the top of the High Street still going? Hadn’t seen a coat of paint in 30 years the last time I was in. And that would’ve been about 30 years ago! Great pint of Tennents though. 

Yup. Still going strong and had a makeover a wee while back.