Drinking Establishments

45 minutes ago, southernrover said:

I feel obliged to go to the Laurieston every time I am in Glasgow. Wonderful old school place.

For old school boozers near the centre of Glasgow The Laurieston is a great shout.

If I'm in town shopping with the wife, I generally quickly slope off to the nearest pub of this type for a couple of pints then meet her when she's finished. Renfield Bar, The Pot Still, Alpen Lodge and The Rhoderick Dhu are a few others I like to nip in to for a couple too.

Edited by 'WellDel

This thread is giving me the feels. 

See when you get into a bustling pub with some pals, and you hit that 3rd or 4th pint, maybe a bit of craic with some strangers, everything is funny as f**k. Everyone in the place loosening up a bit. You really just cannot fucking beat it. 

If I'm in the city I would usually start off in The Auctioneers due to the proximity to Queen Street, do whatever I am in for, and end my trip at Waxy O'Connors, even though I seem to get lost every time I am in there. A wee detour to The Piper Bar is usually fitted in as well, love that wee place.

As for drinking in my home town, I can't be arsed with having either Celtic pubs or Rangers pubs. I left all that shite behind when I left school. Is every town in Scotland like that, I've always wanted to know that. 

In my 52yrs of drinking, my best pub was was the Tudor Arms in Paisley.

5 mins to Love St and it had a back lounge for the young crew, front lounge of the older crew and a bar for the working man.

Good food, excellent service and never any trouble.

Was owned by the Bisland family who sold it when they retired, and it got altered inside and was never the same. 

Can't remember when Bisland sold it or when it closed, but guessing it was at least 20yrs ago when it closed for good. 

Sorely missed by many Saints fans. 

4 hours ago, Duszek said:

Chez Georges, rue des Canettes, Paris. Amazing place, packed with foreign students and local eccentrics. That was in the late 90s though, probably a tourist trap now.

chez_georges_07505600_161909863.jpeg

8570.jpg

Maybe not…seems to still be going:

https://www.tripadvisor.fr/Restaurant_Review-g187147-d938779-Reviews-Chez_Georges-Paris_Ile_de_France.html

The Bungalow in Paisley (the original) was something else. Due to Glasgow councillors shiting it due to punk and subsequently making it next to impossible for small venues to get an entertainment licence, everyone came to Paisley.

The excitement of opening the door of the lounge and looking at the newly posted list of bands who would be playing...The Psychedelic Furs, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Skids, Teardrop Explodes, The Associates, Aztec Camera and so many more.

A legendary 200 capacity which is sorely missed.

2 hours ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

If I'm in the city I would usually start off in The Auctioneers due to the proximity to Queen Street, do whatever I am in for, and end my trip at Waxy O'Connors, even though I seem to get lost every time I am in there. A wee detour to The Piper Bar is usually fitted in as well, love that wee place.

As for drinking in my home town, I can't be arsed with having either Celtic pubs or Rangers pubs. I left all that shite behind when I left school. Is every town in Scotland like that, I've always wanted to know that. 

There's good pubs near those ones.

It might come across as a bit ghoulish to some folk, but I always make the clutha one of my first pubs to visit in Glasgow. The bar staff are pretty sound, good pint of T, and there's usually some decent live music on. Obviously I've got Edinburgh a short journey away,  but i hate the city centre, so I'll head up to the diggers at Gorgie, as the 80 up there is a tremendous pint. Closer to home, the levenhall arms at musselburgh is my favourite. But it's a mile walk down the hill, then the same back up 😂

5 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

In Dundee, The Trades. Always bustling, always good energy.

The Phoenix is a lovely wee place but some of the clientele are so far up their own arse it ruins the atmosphere.

The Gaiety. Great views out the windows. Insta pub.

The Phoenix is up for sale. I'd hate it if the likes of Greene King or some other brewery bought it and turned it into a generic chain pub.

13 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Phoenix is up for sale. I'd hate it if the likes of Greene King or some other brewery bought it and turned it into a generic chain pub.

Aye, i'd heard the brothers who used to own the Trades were looking at buying it.