Drinking Establishments

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

My auld man was never oot of the Albert Bar and later the Windsor in the late 70's/early 80's.

Went to the Windsor, but not very often. I wonder if your old man was in the Balmore for the Iran game?

7 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The Comm was a legendary boozer in Dingwall. The belligerent landlady and dankness were part of the charm. Sadly the building looks like it's on it's last legs.

Was in there once, ONCE, when I was living just outside of Dingwall (Lemlair). I recall the "barmaid" wiping her nose on a bar towel then returning it to the bar surface.  Only had the one pint, strangely.

Favourites in Leven back in the day, all gone, were the Silver Tassie, The Den Inn, the Hunting Lodge and the Beach Hotel. The Auld Hoose used to be good but they dissected it, losing the horseshoe bar in the process - utter madness. 

The East Dock Bar in Methil is still a decent boozer. 

In Dundee I have jinxed my two locals. The Planet Bar (a friendly Dive) now closed, and the roof blew off the Charleston, which was a decent shop to watch the fitba. 

Lochee's not brilliant for pubs it has to be said. Sandy's is okay, and the Albert at a push. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

12 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Thains is fucking braw. Decent grub and everyone in there is like it's their first day and they just want to jack it on the spot.

JG Ross' is shite. Terrible.

Was recently informed of Aitkens and their once wonderful butteries (thats right Johnny). I said "Sake, baking butteries to beastin' bairns" and one guy overheard and just - without saying a word before or after it - "Aye, its a slippery slope"

:lol:

Still there. Decent boozer. Recentl5 done up to a pretty decent standard. Apart from the pishers, preferred it's old look. It's basically a hoooker in Victoria's Secret now.

There is a wee cafe takeaway on Regent Quay, Truffles. they have a cook/baker. If you early on a Thursday or Friday there are fresh butteries.

He used to work at Aitkens and uses their recipe. They sell out fast.

Perth is pretty poor for pubs these days, The Old Ship probably the best. Cullach is also good but it's a brewery taproom that sells (very good) pizzas so doesn't really count for this.

When I lived in Edinburgh I loved the Windsor on Leith Walk and the Dagda, although apart from a handful of guys raging at how popular it is you rarely see the same face twice and there's usually about 20 students in being twats.

In Glasgow I used to love the Lismore, the Ben Nevis, the Dublet, Three Judges, Tennants, the Belle and the Aragon. Went into the Arlington this time last year and it's completely changed.

Edited by GHF-23

15 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I used to be quite the regular in Wilsons too....

....and The Grampian.... 

....The White Cockade....

.....The Golden Tee....

....Murdos....

....Foundry....

....The Grays Inn...

....Butchers Arms....

.... I could go on but we probably crossed paths at some point!

is the covies still on the go in kincorth?

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Favourites in Leven back in the day, all gone, were the Silver Tassie, The Den Inn, the Hunting Lodge and the Beach Hotel. The Auld Hoose used to be good but they dissected it, losing the horseshoe bar in the process - utter madness. 

1st time I bought a pint, (think I would have been 15!), was at the Hunting Lodge, with you, prior to an EF game 😀

Crown Inn is now gone as well

Edited by specsaver

59 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

There's a lot of love for The Horseshoe, a real Glasgow pub. I can't say I'm that keen. It's full of tits pretending to rough it in a traditional boozer. They would wet themselves in any pub in Shettleston or Tolcross etc.

What leads you to the conclusion that they're actually trying to 'rough it', out of interest? For me, The Horseshoe serves a practical purpose only - a pit stop in the city centre if the Pot Still is likely to be rammed.

Agree with the positive views on The State, Bon Accord, The Lismore and The Laurieston. Would add The Three Judges at the bottom of Byres Road unless it has changed recently. 

The best pub in Greater Greenock is the Comet Bar, which has barely changed from the 1970s. A good pint of heavy for about £3 with both El Dorado and Buckfast tonic wines on optics. None of the pubs in the centre are outstanding but there's a decent half-dozen proper pubs (e.g. The Hole in the Wa, The Willow) that are good for a couple before moving on if they're quiet. Cleats in Gourock is quite enjoyable for an afternoon like today too, and the Station Bar is always good when getting to/from the ferry to Bute. 

Have to admit I'm a bit jealous of the Paisley Craft Beer tap room that's opened near the abbey, as there's no good option for anything other than lager/Guinness. 

16 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I used to drink in the Balgay every Sunday lunchtime and a fair chunk of Saturday lunchtimes for years back in the late 70s early 80s. The clientele were interesting even back then. Really good pub though back then.

This explains a lot.............................

😉

As for the wider country, The Crown Tavern in Kinghorn is an excellent pub (better than all of the dreadful options in Kirkcaldy itself). The Volunteer Bar in Dunbar is also very good.

The Phoenix in Inverness should be good but the beer seems to be getting badly kept due to lack of customers recently - friendly owner though. 

Bute now has the Anchor Tavern under community ownership in Port Bannatyne, which is great to see and are making a fine pub. Mac's and the Taverna are two very good pubs in Rothesay too and none of the others are bad. 

On 17/10/2023 at 12:45, Ross. said:

Went out with a lass from Alva a long long time ago. Drunk in the Cross Keys a few times but if we were out that way we normally drank in a place in Menstrie. Can’t recall the name of it, but it had a wee burn running up the side.

Lived next door to the State Bar for a while too. Decent boozer for the most part, didn’t seem to attract the dafties or the student crowd.

The Burnside in menstrie

There was a pub I used to quite enjoy, cannae mind the name, on the road from the station to Airdrie town centre. 

The first time I visited I thought it was a gay bar as it was only males in there. Then I realised it was mostly older men and the racing channel was on the Telly. 

Anyway. It was closed last time I was in Airdrie. 

5 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

In Dundee I have jinxed my two locals. The Planet Bar (a friendly Dive) now closed, and the roof blew off the Charleston, which was a decent shop to watch the fitba. 

Lochee's not brilliant for pubs it has to be said. Sandy's is okay, and the Albert at a push. 

The Auld Toll was a decent place, the brass foot rail that curved the bar was coupled to the heating system, the place must have been a palace to some.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

What leads you to the conclusion that they're actually trying to 'rough it', out of interest? For me, The Horseshoe serves a practical purpose only - a pit stop in the city centre if the Pot Still is likely to be rammed.

Agree with the positive views on The State, Bon Accord, The Lismore and The Laurieston. Would add The Three Judges at the bottom of Byres Road unless it has changed recently. 

The best pub in Greater Greenock is the Comet Bar, which has barely changed from the 1970s. A good pint of heavy for about £3 with both El Dorado and Buckfast tonic wines on optics. None of the pubs in the centre are outstanding but there's a decent half-dozen proper pubs (e.g. The Hole in the Wa, The Willow) that are good for a couple before moving on if they're quiet. Cleats in Gourock is quite enjoyable for an afternoon like today too, and the Station Bar is always good when getting to/from the ferry to Bute. 

Have to admit I'm a bit jealous of the Paisley Craft Beer tap room that's opened near the abbey, as there's no good option for anything other than lager/Guinness. 

Probably my inverted snobbery. It's just a feeling I get. It's always highly featured in these types of discussion and it's fuelled my intolerance. As you say it's a place to wait for a train, nothing more.