Drinking Establishments

On 21/10/2023 at 09:18, Honest_Man#1 said:

Brauhaus, Bennets (both Tollcross & Morningside), Guildford Arms, Diggers, Windsor, Canny Mans are decent in Edinburgh off the top of my head. 

Weird seeing The Abbey being mentioned positively, the guys I know who went to Uni in Edinburgh said it was known as an absolute dive filled with nutters only <10 years ago. Need to give it a shot.

Posted on another threat but Diggers is one of the most overrated boozer in Edinburgh, full of uppity beer bores. Windsor is about the worst pub in leith too - no surprise it’s Heineken owned.

The Abbey is fine, a bit foodie but far from a dive. Grapes is the best pub in that area if you want hair put on your chest. The Southsider very good too. 

Cask and Barrel Broughton is the best pub in the city centre for me. Has it all.

If you avoid Green King and Heineken pubs in Edinburgh you can’t go too far wrong. Malones in Haymarket is the best pint of Tennents in the city but it can be full of jeans and shoes types.

Dont even try and get a pint in Edinburgh after 1am, abysmal choices. I’m too old to be up that late anyway. 

I love pubs. 

58 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye this took me by surprise but I walked past it during the most recent El Cheekico and found it hoaching with sonny jims. Given how close it is to NDP it seemed highly incongruent. 

Are there pubs which are entirely Accies pubs or do you guys pretty much have to ground share?

Most Accies fans have took to drinking in The Bayhorse just down from Hamilton racecourse. Decent pub and ran by an Accies fan 

23 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Most Accies fans have took to drinking in The Bayhorse just down from Hamilton racecourse. Decent pub and ran by an Accies fan 

The Tap Room used to be a decent pre-match pub in Hamilton, but it's now the Ivy or something? Which I've been in once and seemed to be run by a couple of miserable smelly people who are trying hard not to make it a football pub and were furious any time someone dared show a bit of Thistle or Accies colours. I take most Accies fans don't bother with the place? Need a new alternative for next season by the looks of it. 

Edited by thistledo

Just now, thistledo said:

The Tap Room used to be a decent pre-match pub in Hamilton, but it's now the Ivy or something? Which I've been in once and seemed to be run by a couple of miserable smelly people who are trying hard not to make it a football match and were furious any time someone dared show a bit of Thistle or Accies colours. I take most Accies fans don't bother with the place? Need a new alternative for next season by the looks of it. 

Think it's mostly used by families going for a bite to eat before the game tbh. Vaults is good for a few pints beforehand or Bay Horse, both away fan friendly 

On 29/10/2023 at 09:44, Muzza81 said:

Posted on another threat but Diggers is one of the most overrated boozer in Edinburgh, full of uppity beer bores. Windsor is about the worst pub in leith too - no surprise it’s Heineken owned.

The Abbey is fine, a bit foodie but far from a dive. Grapes is the best pub in that area if you want hair put on your chest. The Southsider very good too. 

Cask and Barrel Broughton is the best pub in the city centre for me. Has it all.

If you avoid Green King and Heineken pubs in Edinburgh you can’t go too far wrong. Malones in Haymarket is the best pint of Tennents in the city but it can be full of jeans and shoes types.

Dont even try and get a pint in Edinburgh after 1am, abysmal choices. I’m too old to be up that late anyway. 

I love pubs. 

If you’re up past 1 am despite being too old for that nonsense really then the Royal Oak might be  the place for you 

Mentioned it in the thread before but the Station Bar within Wemyss Bay train station and connecting to the Rothesay ferry is a magnificent wee pub. They've given the place a good lick of paint since the last time I visited (relatively sober at least) and also had a coal fire up and running earlier this evening. With minimal lighting (instead of the fucking floodlights used in chain pubs) it was a very enticing place to linger over a few pints.  

Edited by vikingTON

19 hours ago, virginton said:

Mentioned it in the thread before but the Station Bar within Wemyss Bay train station and connecting to the Rothesay ferry is a magnificent wee pub. They've given the place a good lick of paint since the last time I visited (relatively sober at least) and also had a coal fire up and running earlier this evening. With minimal lighting (instead of the fucking floodlights used in chain pubs) it was a very enticing place to linger over a few pints.  

Sounds spot on. There used to be a decent wee pub in Kilmarnock Station. I doubt if it will still be there. 

Edited by jagfox

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Sounds spot on. There used to be a decent wee pub at Kilmarnock Station. I doubt if it will still be there. 

Fanny by Gaslight? Enjoyed going in there between train connections when engineering works were on.

8 minutes ago, diege said:

Fanny by Gaslight? Enjoyed going in there between train connections when engineering works were on.

Poorly worded by me. This pub used to be just off the actual platform. Was years since I was last on it.

On 26/10/2023 at 04:12, Cosmic Joe said:

So you've been to Methil then SP?

Certainly have. Empire Bar... was shit. I moved onto Hogans Bar in Lundin Links, small quiet, not really my stuff.  But business was good, took care of the East Neuk for me to be  fair...better than doing business in a  zoo that was Methil, sorry. Also played 1 season in the Sunday league (NEFL) for them round about 99. Won the league, think it was the 2nd tier.

I was obviously a ringer.

If I was not spewing on the touchline (good enough for Zidane) good enough for me. I was dictating play from CM.

Eta. I only knew about that pub through a friend Craig, you was was working at police HQ in Glenrothes.  Pub was full of coppers and players of the team. Crazy but true.

Edited by SlipperyP

On 05/11/2023 at 16:39, jagfox said:

Poorly worded by me. This pub used to be just off the actual platform. Was years since I was last on it.

Sadly not, EAC (well the inbreds from down Cumnock way) revoked the early morning licences that killed his trade stone dead. 

When I was a student in Glasgow I lived in Cessnock and avoided pretty much everything down there bar the occasional one bar the Old Toll Bar. I used to love drinking at the Arlington on Woodlands but increasingly spent most of my time in the Doublet when I was a postgrad. If I'm ever through these days I try to make a point of going to the Three Judges on Dumbarton Road, cracking wee place.

All the places I used to drink underage in Aberdeen are all dead and gone now (RIP the Basement) but if I'm ever back visiting family I'll likely go to the Tolbooth in Ellon. Can't be doing with that BrewDog concept bar shite.

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Tips for best old man's style pub near Desperate Dan statue in Dundee please? 

The Pillars top of Crichton St would probably suit or Star and Garter on Union St. Latter might be hoaching though.

Trades is obviously excellent but similarly hoaching.

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Tips for best old man's style pub near Desperate Dan statue in Dundee please? 

Caw's across from the entrance to the Wellgate or there's a place just outside the Keillor Centre, buggered if I can mind the name.