Drinking Establishments

16 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

I saw more trouble in Alloa when I drank there as a teenager in the late 90's than I ever saw in Glasgow or Edinburgh. I think it was all quite tribal there with teenagers from Alloa,  Sauchie, Clackmannan, Tullibody and the hillfoots all drinking in the same places., plus the young neds that used to hang about outside looking for trouble.  The taxi rank was a war zone at times.  I used to do the Treetops then Nighthawks doubler. I can barely fight sleep but I ended up getting dragged into a few scraps at kicking out time. The Meadowpark in Bridge of Allan and the wee shitty nightclub beside it could be quite mental too.  I got saved from a tanking at the hands of ex Stirling Albion and Alloa player/psycopath Chris 'kicky' Wood there by a bouncer who took pity on me.  I think I glanced in his general direction, so I can only blame myself.  Bizarrely I also met Colin Hendry in there.

He stayed in a mansion on the same road as it. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

My haunt used to be the Halt Bar, went downhill and closed for a while. Now reopened as FF and owned by an ex-Rugby international so that gets priority over football on the TV. More food focused these days.

Living just off Byres Road I have been in most of the pubs mentioned. My 3 "favourites" would be The Three Judges, The Aragon and Tennants Bar.

On a matchday I'll nip into the Botany at top of QMD for a couple. More a foodie place but a decent selection of lagers.

If out with mates we usually wander up Garscube Road, to The Station Bar in Cowcaddens. A cracking pub with cheap and cheerful pub grub during the day.

A new kid on the block is Camerons on St Georges Road. Has had a refurb from its days as The Carnarvon. A pint of Tennents is only £3.50 or something too. Has sports on TVs too.

I like a pint in The Rock on Hyndland Road if I've  been out for a wander and heading home. £4 for a Tennents.

Partick has plenty of pubs most of which serve a purpose. Smiddy is good for a daytime pint or two too. 

Not done many southside pubs but off to Clockwork this afternoon for a prematch pint and catchup.

Cheers!

I'm not in that area enough. I had a tour of duty in partick social and in Northgate. My role in Northgate was to spend time in the Station insulting minor celebrities.

13 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I thought he was up the hill?

Or was that Terry Butcher back in the day??

Aye Hendry was just up from the private School beside the Meadow Park, probs about 300/400 yards from it.

Not sure where Butcher stayed but his house hotel was just opposite the big park along the other road, now a salon/treatment place instead.

Good thread, just enjoying reading through these. Actually just posted a top fives for Glasgow city centre-ish pubs elsewhere.

I love drinking in the Woodside Inn in Maryhill, every other Saturday, I walk in and the lassie just starts pouring me a Guinness, have a chat with the old regulars and then just sit and listen to the quiet pub chatter going on until the other lads arrive, my brain finally free from a week of work and the kids. Independent pub, even when it gets busy they have a lot of staff so service isn't an issue and usually a good pint of Guinness. I'm probably biased, but it's hard not to like. 

It's not my favourite, but I do quite enjoy jumping into Waxy's at the back where the lane is. Was always a good stop for a few Guinness after the train back from Edinburgh. People travelling were always in and out due to the proximity of the train, hearing peoples stories of Glasgow and one time watched this lassie make her boyfriend sit for a good 15 minutes to take a picture of them and the food while he so desperately wanted to just eat. Good people watch due to the lane as well.

On 18/10/2023 at 19:27, Molotov said:

Away fans to Paisley must be missing The Alamo. 
IMG_4368.jpeg.7ebcb9741da3a9312bf72b8fa828312f.jpeg

Home fans miss the Wee Barrel and the walk down Love St. 
IMG_4367.jpeg.67d106dce68658bce9feb9f67f10f38e.jpeg

After a home win the walk back up to the town was brilliant. 

In the 70s & 80s home and away fans used to “meet” up at the fountain gardens! 🥊 

Drank in the Alamo before Thistle won the league in 2002, I think I was 15, for some reason we were drinking a lot of vodka orange and I'm fairly sure I got a vodka and orange which was made up of diluting juice. We moved onto the Caledonian? I think, more vodka and actual orange juice and I spewed in the pub, not even close to the toilet, got hauled out, still made the game and went out drinking afterwards. 

Edited by thistledo

29 minutes ago, thistledo said:

Drank in the Alamo before Thistle won the league in 2002, I think I was 15, for some reason we were drinking a lot of vodka orange and I'm fairly sure I got a vodka and orange which was made up of diluting juice. We moved onto the Caledonian? I think, more vodka and actual orange juice and I spewed in the pub, not even close to the toilet, got hauled out, still made the game and went out drinking afterwards. 

Because of your age you were given diluting juice in the Alamo!

Once you moved onto adult orange juice you were obviously out your depth.  😂 

31 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Because of your age you were given diluting juice in the Alamo!

Once you moved onto adult orange juice you were obviously out your depth.  😂 

🤣

Don't even like vodka n orange juice so that was probably part of the problem, but when you're 15 you'll take what you can. Missed both goals going for a pish that day and it's become a thing now, usually during Scotland games, the most recent one being the Norway game equaliser, so you all have my pish to thank for that. 

Edited by thistledo

On 21/10/2023 at 15:09, BigBo10 said:

Anne Stratherns in Paisley next to the fire station was a good pub that poured a great pint of Tennent’s. Not sure what it’s called now. Its been 25 years since I was in it  it may have changed somewhat 

Was originally called The Cavern, my Grandmother was the manager in the early 70s. As you say, changed names to Anne Strathern's (not my Grandmother) and is now called The Horseshoe.

On 25/10/2023 at 23:24, southernrover said:

Seen a couple of mentions of Paisley, only ever been once really (probably for the best, etc.), but was taken by the Bull Inn just off the High Street.

It's a Stonegate job, but does a decent array of beers and what have you, and still retains a lot of its original decor, including the snugs at the back. Certainly a bit of character to it at least.

Aye, when the BBC made the series about Christie, Rillington Place, the interior of The Bull Inn was used to replicate a 1950s boozer with little or no alterations. 

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

My haunt used to be the Halt Bar, went downhill and closed for a while.

Great place. You ever go to Bobby Wishart's Tuesday night jazz sessions there? Man was a legend. 

Or rather, IS a legend, seems he's still on the go.

https://www.neildrover.com/portfolio-item/bobby-wishart/ 

6 minutes ago, Duszek said:

Great place. You ever go to Bobby Wishart's Tuesday night jazz sessions there? Man was a legend. 

Or rather, IS a legend, seems he's still on the go.

https://www.neildrover.com/portfolio-item/bobby-wishart/ 

No. Not a big fan of jazz. Saw a few acts at 3 Judges on a Sunday. 

8 hours ago, jagfox said:

My haunt used to be the Halt Bar, went downhill and closed for a while. Now reopened as FF and owned by an ex-Rugby international so that gets priority over football on the TV. More food focused these days.

Living just off Byres Road I have been in most of the pubs mentioned. My 3 "favourites" would be The Three Judges, The Aragon and Tennants Bar.

On a matchday I'll nip into the Botany at top of QMD for a couple. More a foodie place but a decent selection of lagers.

If out with mates we usually wander up Garscube Road, to The Station Bar in Cowcaddens. A cracking pub with cheap and cheerful pub grub during the day.

A new kid on the block is Camerons on St Georges Road. Has had a refurb from its days as The Carnarvon. A pint of Tennents is only £3.50 or something too. Has sports on TVs too.

I like a pint in The Rock on Hyndland Road if I've  been out for a wander and heading home. £4 for a Tennents.

Partick has plenty of pubs most of which serve a purpose. Smiddy is good for a daytime pint or two too. 

Not done many southside pubs but off to Clockwork this afternoon for a prematch pint and catchup.

Cheers!

Good list. Was The Halt also a West bar for a brief period? Wasn’t a big fan of it at that point tbh. Clockwork is pretty shite these days, a cavernous place with not much atmosphere IMO. They had a good beer garden set up during the Euros though when the Covid restrictions were still in force.

7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Good list. Was The Halt also a West bar for a brief period? Wasn’t a big fan of it at that point tbh. Clockwork is pretty shite these days, a cavernous place with not much atmosphere IMO. They had a good beer garden set up during the Euros though when the Covid restrictions were still in force.

I think you are spot on about West doing a pop up at the Halt for a spell. Now does nice food. Had a decent Sunday lunch in there a month or so ago. How times change. 

I'm a soothside ignoramus really. 

Edited by jagfox

7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Clockwork is pretty shite these days, a cavernous place with not much atmosphere IMO

Hard to disagree with that.

Bus went there a few times when we were at semis/finals at Hampden, it was fine but unless you were in early it became almost impossible to get a drink.

Outside of proximity to the stadium, it doesnt have that much going for it sadly.

On 27/10/2023 at 16:19, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Good list. Was The Halt also a West bar for a brief period? Wasn’t a big fan of it at that point tbh. 

It was indeed a West Bar. I was happy enough to get a pint of Munich Red reliably without traipsing across Glasgow Green. 

On 27/10/2023 at 16:19, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Agree with your assessment of the Clockwork. When I lived in King's Park over a decade ago it was one of very few proper ale pubs in the city, so it had that going for it. It never had a great atmosphere tbf. I wouldn't go near it on a match day.

I once saw a young lad deliver a quite impressive headbutt to another fella there. The other lad should have blocked it as it was fairly well telegraphed, but it was a notable moment all the same.

5 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Enjoyed reading through this thread.

Fan of the Academical Vaults in Hamilton both pre and post train journeys.

Waxy’s is fine for journeys to and from Queen Street as well.

Got to slum it and just go Sammy Dow's in such a situation. 

f**k doing that labyrinth of staircases etc just to get a drink. 

18 hours ago, The Naitch said:

Enjoyed reading through this thread.

Fan of the Academical Vaults in Hamilton both pre and post train journeys.

Waxy’s is fine for journeys to and from Queen Street as well.

Vaults is decent and the staff are great. It's let down as its a Greene King and also pretty much a Celtic pub despite it's name. Best pint in Hamilton though

18 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Vaults is decent and the staff are great. It's let down as its a Greene King and also pretty much a Celtic pub despite it's name. Best pint in Hamilton though

Aye this took me by surprise but I walked past it during the most recent El Cheekico and found it hoaching with sonny jims. Given how close it is to NDP it seemed highly incongruent. 

Are there pubs which are entirely Accies pubs or do you guys pretty much have to ground share?