Wasps v the Queens

Thought we were the better team all game, we dealt with Queens long balls pretty well for the most part but still had a couple of dodgy defence moments. Going forward we looked good but the last ball lets us down quite a bit. 

Nice for Roy to get the club record now. 4 goals in 4 games from a guy who couldn't get a game in the lowland league.

Roberts and Hetherington both covered a lot of ground today. With the stamina and energy the man has, I feel sorry for Kurtis Roberts Mrs.

36 minutes ago, Rory said:

Thought we were the better team all game, we dealt with Queens long balls pretty well for the most part but still had a couple of dodgy defence moments. Going forward we looked good but the last ball lets us down quite a bit. 

Nice for Roy to get the club record now. 4 goals in 4 games from a guy who couldn't get a game in the lowland league.

Roberts and Hetherington both covered a lot of ground today. With the stamina and energy the man has, I feel sorry for Kurtis Roberts Mrs.

It's not the (should say undisputed) record - news desk in the programme has
image.png.fda6f0faec7ead971c0283fce13aa659.png

Edited by LeodhasXD
Ally Roy 5 in 5 next week at Edinburgh

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Wait? We played it long and it wasn't  the answer to all our problems?? 

Don’t worry we tentatively played it around the back plenty and eventually got caught for the goal. 

Bartley surely can’t survive after that today, it was absolutely awful. The players just look disinterested, lost and incapable of playing the way Marvin is demanding we play. 

31 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Afraid time's starting to run short now Marvin ... 

28 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

starting?!

24 minutes ago, Alex Nesovic's Barmy Army said:

Starting to?

Well, I had said in an earlier thread that he needed to get the show back on the rails by end of November latest ... so (in my mind at least) ... time's starting to run short ...

55 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Well, I had said in an earlier thread that he needed to get the show back on the rails by end of November latest ... so (in my mind at least) ... time's starting to run short ...

He’s got to go now - it’s an embarrassment to be in the position we’re in.

Edited by Dougie Mills

Our back 4 played solidly last week, restricted a decent Falkirk side to very few chances and first thing we see at Alloa is the restoration of a back 3 and no right sided defender starting the match?? Surely there was a logical case to try and build on a team shape and performance that was positive? McIntyre was excellent last week as a traditional LB and despite trying hard was ineffectual as a LWB and the whole shape of the team was disjointed, insipid and not fit for purpose. I was sorry for Ambrose - was by far our best player and 'didn't deserve to be the culprit who made the error that cost us the decisive goal. From midfield to front we are so weak, predictable and lacking flair and imagination. 

The level of disenchantment and negativity from the small band of Queens' supporters was there for all to see and the perseverance with this ridiculous tactic of pissing around  deep in our own half with a succession of square and backward passing along our backline is way beyond a joke. 

Alloa have regressed over past few seasons but without scaling any heights were much better than us - more energetic, created more chances and had forward players who actually tried to make something happen. Big decisions required because any notion that this group are equipped for a relegation scrap need to be quickly dispelled.

2 hours ago, HighlandQueen said:

Pedestrian is the word. Need more movement and we have to pass it quicker. I don’t think we’ve won a second ball either. Get Gibson on and go for it. 

Well it didn’t get any better. I’ve been a big supporter of Marvin’s but I don’t know where we go from here. I’ve missed the last 3 games and after last week expected an improvement but we are getting worse. 

The pointless passing triangles in our own half were eye bleedingly awful to watch. We are so slow and with no movement and inevitably it ended with playing to marked men or an endless punt. Terrible to watch. 

Of course it all ended in tears as Efe made a slack pass from the back and we conceded the losing goal. 

Not only that but we created one chance all game against an Alloa team that outplayed us and fully deserved to win. As a full time team we deserve better than this. 

Only players to get pass marks were Oscar, a rejuvenated McKay in midfield and Efe apart from his blooper. 

I support what the other poster said. If he doesn’t win next week and put up at least a good performance against Utd I think Marv will have to go otherwise we will have no hope of getting into the playoffs ( unless it’s the relegation playoffs). 

Good win for Alloa. Three wins out of four, second consecutive clean sheet, things looking up just as Chipper goes. C'est la vie.

I thought we deserved the three points; carrying more threat than QotS going forwards (Wales, Roy and Buchanan all dangerous), whole team working very hard, defence more solid as a unit than it has been.

I thought Queens passed the ball about neatly, but that's clearly of little to no comfort for their fans, and understandably so.

Some other thoughts:

* some of the touches and turns from Wales second half were top level.

* Kurtis Roberts has some engine.

* Taggs is still a class act.

* good to see PJ back.

* interesting to see how Steven Buchanan develops.

Alloa looked better again today, more urgency and pressure when Queen's had the ball, missed that this season so far. 

I'd say it was a fair outcome although if Queen's had brought their shooting boots  they could have levelled it in the second half or even taken the lead the first half but for an excellent low save by Morrison.

Kurtis Roberts put in another very impressive shift today but Roy stole the show with his history making finish.

Edited by thestorytobetold

Deserved win for Alloa over the piece. First half wasn't great for either side with 1 great chance for Buchanan for Alloa and a really good opportunity for QoS which PJ saved well. Second half was better from the Wasps with a very good strike from Roy and two more opportunities, one from from Steven after a good move that he should have burried - and another from Roy. Thought we might regret not putting the game away as we ended up dropping deeper later on, but QoS didn't really pose any great threat. 

Was probably Roy's least effective performance for us in terms of linking things up but he kept working away and scored a great goal. Steven for Coulson was a big call and not sure it really worked out but also kept at it and tried to make things happen. Thought Wales was very good and a real threat throughout. Have to give a lot of credit to Roberts who never stopped running and driving the team on, and kept things simple while in possession. Good team effort though and a good three points. 

Not the best game but a great 3 points and almost as importantly, another clean sheet. 

First half was a snooze fest which we just about shaded although both sides probably should have had a goal - Buchanan needs to score his and McKechnie (?) the same (although it was a really good save from PJ). 

Thankfully things livened up after with the break with Queens coming out the strongest initially. After weathering a little, I thought we were then comfortable for the rest of the game and worth the win. 

Thought Deveney regressed a little from his performance last week but the defence as a whole were decent enough - what a difference cutting out the stupid individual errors is making! 

Stevie H and Kurtis Roberts were good together again - agree with others that Roberts was a stand out today. 

Front 3 worked well linking up and really should have had more goals - Taylor Steven especially with a great chance. Just as impressive was how they defended from the front - there’s a massive difference how those 3 work as a unit to press and you can see them all communicating to each other so that they try to not leave an easy out ball, which ultimately led to the goal.  Bobby Wales just needs a goal as the rest of his play is excellent - suspect we may notice his absence next week. 

Ally Roy…what a guy! Quieter game, but quality finish when he got the opportunity. Huge achievement getting 4 in 4 and fingers crossed he can go one further next weekend. 

Pretty desperate stuff from a Queens point of view. The way they are playing reminds me a lot of how we were around 6 weeks ago - fine passing at the back but unable to move it between the lines resulting in an aimless hoof up the park, more often than not turning it over, while creating very little overall. It’s exactly how we were playing and it becomes pretty turgid to watch. Similarly, whenever we won possession, there was a gap of about 30/40 yards where the midfield should be - gave us so much space to drive out of defence and through the midfield.

Feel Queens have a lot of potential strength in wide areas (both on the pitch and sitting on the bench) and Bartley should have them moving the ball from side to side, but MUCH higher up the pitch.

6 hours ago, QoS99 said:

Dropping Botterill seems strange.

Changing a balanced team who had just had their best performance of the season is the strange thing. I've really like what I've seen of Stones so far this season but I bet both Botterill and Logan (right footed) are really pissed off at being dropped today!

Very poor management in my mind!

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Highlights up before 9 pm. Excellent service. Just another thing our club can't manage, along with winning games, maintaining a stadium, retaining its fan base, developing youth players, etc. We are heading to the Lowland League. But, here, at least we're doing a lot for local charities.

26 minutes ago, Rory said:

Who picks our man of the match? They picked Roy yesterday who was pretty quiet aside from his goal and they picked Taggs the other week when he was poor (by his standards!) but scored a penalty. 

The main hospitality guests pick it, so it's always a mixed bag rather than an assessment with any real accuracy.