Aberdeen v The Rangers - 23/24 League Cup Final

Frank Grimes

The last two Rangers game Aberdeen played 5-4-1 formation with major success but today Robson changed it with 2 forwards and it really didn't work. Our midfield hasn't cope all season with just 3 in the middle and the likes of shinnie and Clarkson are getting hung out to dry trying to be the extra man. 

Rangers are not that great but we didn't lay a glove on them today. 

Edited by betting competition

6 minutes ago, betting competition said:

The last two Rangers game Aberdeen played 5-4-1 formation with major success but today Robson changed it with 2 forwards and it really didn't work. Our midfield hasn't cope all season with just 3 in the middle and the likes of shinnie and Clarkson are getting hung out to dry trying to be the extra man. 

Rangers are not that great but we didn't lay a glove on them. 

That’s what frustrated me - and did the minute I saw the team.

Shinnie/Clarkson/McGrath are all good players, but it’s hardly worked all season with them playing together. Yet again today, we just gave up the midfield.

Defensively the team did fine, but that was a horrible switch off for the goal - were they still in shock that the VAR penalty hadn’t been given for sevco? 

Another one of these finals where I think we have let a decent opportunity slip by. Was Bojan even fit?

Edited by tarapoa

Gutted. A real missed opportunity for us, as they clearly aren't up to much. 

In the first half, I thought our defensive shape was broadly sound, and we limited them to very little in terms of chances. But, when we did win the ball, we were mostly timid and just didn't progress it effectively. We weren't really getting value from having both Sokler and Miovski there, and we we didn't get the same opportunities to turn their defence as we got at Pittodrie a few weeks ago. 

It felt like we had a little bit more courage about our attacking play in the second half, but we were still not doing enough to create a clear opportunity. Devlin's low ball across the six-yard box and the scramble in stoppage time are really the only attacking moments of note I can recall. There was just a general timidity and occasionally a panic about us that stopped us from ever convincingly imposing ourselves on the game offensively.

I will need to see the goal back, but it looked lazy from Polvara against Barisic and then that McGarry got dragged too central. 

Also, it's no surprise and probably not worth wasting energy on, but Cantwell's pull on Gartenmann just confirms that we are not getting those decisions in this fixture. We said after Pittodrie that if it had happened at the other end then VAR chooses not to see it, and there we go. 

Edited by DrewDon

WTF was that Aberdeen player doing to let yon *** get a cross in for the goal?

Neither team great but **** not looking like world beaters. A moment of awful defending plus VAR assist giving them the cup.

As to VAR - it's not the problem, it's the biased humans behind it.

9 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought we were absolutely shite. 

Defensively sound but if you don’t pose any threat then the inevitable will happen. A real disappointment. 

I knew we'd lose. so not a real disappointment.

1 hour ago, DukDukGoose said:

Terrible game.

No complaints about result.

Don Robertson was awful. It's not the big decision that go against you. It's every single little 50/50.

I broadly agree with this. To be fair to the Rangers players, I got the feeling that Robson had invoked the Spirit of Simpson in some of his players (not that that justifies the theatrics!)

Pfff. Missed opportunity. Sevco looked really poor again today. Until the goal, we had contained them really well. Roos made 4 decent but fairly routine saves in the second half.  'kin hell, that goal though. Polvara was so limp and caught ridiculously square - probably lazily assumed Devlin and/or Gartenmann were in wait behind him to offer more resistance. Looked like Roos was ripping with Rubi at the goal. I thought Roos should have done better but can only assume Rubi got a poke on it and distracted him.

We were so wasteful though. How many times did we turn over possession, break to the half-way line and then fumble? Wrong pass. Bad pass. No pass. We saw it all. Considering how efficient we have been on the counter in the big games this season, that really is a minger of a disappointment. We really let ourselves down in attack today.

As for the officials: the Sevco players and staff were screaming for yellow cards at every foul - cringey c*nts. To be fair, I thought the ref did pretty well to resist their entitlement. Regarding the blatant jersey pull and Butland appearing to empty Duk - I have lost all sense of reality with VAR and have no idea what does or does not merit a check. But, against this mob, I just work on the assumption we aren't getting anything soft or controversial even checked let along given.

Edited by bpdon