The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

Week 5 update

Two deaths this week. Up first, Swedish footballer Kurt Hamrin: Kurt Hamrin dead: World Cup legend who took on Pele and still holds Serie A goalscoring record passes away | The Sun

Hamrin was, up until his death, the last surviving player from the 1958 World Cup final between Sweden and Brazil.

His death came a month after Brazil's last survivor of the match Mario Zagallo passed away.

Hamrin began his professional career with AIK in 1952 before he joined Juve in 1957.

He would spend the bulk of his career in Italy, where he also had stints with AC Milan, Napoli and Padova.

The majority of the wideman's career, however, was spent in Florence with Fiorentina, whom he scored 150 goals for in 269 appearances.

Hamrin bagged 190 Serie A goals during his time in Italy, a haul which sees him ninth above the likes of Alessandro Del Piero and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in Serie A's all-time leading goalscorers list.

Hamrin made a total of 32 appearances for Sweden between 1953 and 1965, scoring 17 goals for his country.

Loads of goals, loads of trophies. What more could you want? Hamrin died at 89 so he's worth 36 Base Points for @tamthebam, with a Solo Shot giving him 86 points.

==============

Second, of course, is Jonnie Irwin: Presenter of Channel 4’s A Place in the Sun Jonnie Irwin dies at 50 | Cancer | The Guardian

The TV presenter Jonnie Irwin has died aged 50, his agent has confirmed.

Irwin, who presented Channel 4’s A Place in the Sun and the BBC’s Escape to the Country, revealed in November 2022 that his lung cancer had spread to his brain and it was terminal.

A statement posted on the presenter’s Instagram account paid tribute to his “kindness, warmth and infectious spirit” and referred to his family’s “immeasurable” grief and “profound loss”.

Alongside a photograph of the late TV host and his wife, Jessica Holmes, with whom he has three young sons – Rex and twins Rafa and Cormac – the tribute read: “In loving memory. It is with heavy hearts that we share the news of Jonnie’s passing.

“A truly remarkable soul, he fought bravely against cancer with unwavering strength and courage. Jonnie touched the lives of so many with his kindness, warmth and infectious spirit.

“At this time, we kindly ask for the privacy of Jonnie’s family as they navigate through this profound loss. Their grief is immeasurable and your thoughts, prayers and support are deeply appreciated.

“As we remember the beautiful moments shared with Jonnie, let us celebrate a life well lived and a legacy that will for ever be etched in our hearts. Jonnie may be gone from our sight, but his love, laughter and memories will live on.

“Rest in peace, dear Jonnie. You will be dearly missed, but never forgotten.”

Irwin presented the popular Channel 4 property show for more than 18 years . After sharing his terminal diagnosis, he said he hoped it would inspire others to “make the most of every day”.

Lots to be going on with here. Irwin died at 50 so he's worth 75 Base Points, 113 for a Vice-Captain and 150 for a Captain bonus. These are awarded as follows:

Base Points: @amnarab, @Arbroathlegend36-0, @cdhafc1874, @DG.Roma, @JustOneCornetto, @Lofarl, @lolls, @Mark Connolly, @pub car king, @qos_75, @Savage Henry, @senorsoupe, @Sergeant Wilson, @Shotgun, @sleazy, @sparky88, @Sweaty Morph, @The DA, @The Naitch

Vice-Captain: @Arch Stanton, @buddiepaul, @chomp my root, @El Guapo, @Forest_Fifer, @mathematics, @Melanius Mullarkant, @Ned Nederlander, @scottsdad, @The_Craig, @Trogdor, @TxRover, @weirdcal

Captain: @Billy Jean King, @blackislekillie, @Bully Wee Villa, @choirbairn, @Desp, @Indale Winton, @lichtgilphead, @mozam76, @Oystercatcher, @peasy23, @psv_killie

As a result of these, the standings look like this:

1. mozam76 339
2. psv_killie 291
3. Ned Nederlander 282
4. lichtgilphead 279
5. The_Craig 254
6. lolls, pub car king 238
8. Billy Jean King, Indale Winton, JustOneCornetto 225
11. Arch Stanton 207
12. cdhafc1874 204

13. amnarab, sparky88, The DA, The Naitch 169
17. Moomintroll, Salvo Montalbano 163
19. blackislekillie, Bully Wee Villa, choirbairn, Desp, Oystercatcher, peasy23 150
25. tamthebam 144

26. buddiepaul, chomp my root, El Guapo, Forest_Fifer, mathematics, Melanius Mullarkant, scottsdad, Trogdor, TxRover, weirdcal 113
36. sleazy, Sweaty Morph 100

38. Arch Stanton, ThomCat 94
40. Arbroathlegend36-0, DG.Roma, Lofarl, Mark Connolly, qos_75, Savage Henry, sensorsoupe, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 75
49. D Angelo Barksdale 71

50. Florentine_Pogen 58
51. parxyz 47

52. stanton 25
53. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

Good points - thrilled to be in the lead, already with a score I’ve never been close to in all the years I’ve been doing this. 

Bad Points - my captain is away and one of my two solo shots, and I have a lead of 48.  That’s nothing in Dead Pool terms. Long year ahead. 

6 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Ive never cared much for rugby yet Barry John somehow is stuck in my memory I think because of the way commentators always used the full name. Another part of my childhood dies.

He's reunited with John Barry.