Lewis Ferguson

Bing.McCrosby

I'm not suggesting he should be called up, but in any other era over the last 10 years or so Armstrong probably would be in the squad by now, given the consistent numbers he's been putting in over the last two years. He's just a bit unlucky that he's up against the likes of McTominay, McGinn, Christie etc for the attacking roles in our team rather than Matt Phillips and Barry Bannan or whatever.

8 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

Clarke wouldn’t have played him during the euros anyway. 

He definitely would have. Probably wouldn't have started but he absolutely would've come on as sub in games. 

It's a lot of games to get to the final...

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

In fairness to Danny Armstrong isn't he an out and out winger? That's something we lack at times if it's not working with the full backs. I wouldn't be averse to bringing him in.

I think Simon Murray deserves a crack ahead of Armstrong. He's been banging them in for County and with Fergie out the picture this is his chance I believe to come into the squad and show us all what he can do. We need goalscorers and Murray certainly is that. 

• Armstrong: 6 goals in 33.
  • Murray: 11 goals in 32.

He doesn't just do it against the duffers of the league (Dundee etc) he can do it against the big boys like we saw yesterday where showed that killer instinct that we are sorely lacking. And if that wasn't enough his link up play is fantastic, he's full of confidence - the boy is absolutely flying.

I'd start him against Germany and that's no joke - he's the in-form Scottish striker. He's scored 4 in his last 5, compared to Shankland who's only managed a poor 1 in his last 5 (a penalty). 

CASE CLOSED

Edited by 2426255

39 minutes ago, GTG_03 said:

He definitely would have. Probably wouldn't have started but he absolutely would've come on as sub in games. 

It's a lot of games to get to the final...

He’d have got limited game time at best. Clarke will insist on playing the likes of Callum McGregor. 

4 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

From a Scotland point of view it's bad news but we were always likely to lose someone from the definite squad members. We'll be fortunate if it's only him. Given he wasn't massively likely to start in a first choice eleven it could have been worse.

That's basically how I see it. Shame for Fergie and hurts our depth, but not in my top XI for players I don't want to miss the tournament. @Butters Scotch will be devastated.

Edited by 2426255

4 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

He’d have got limited game time at best. Clarke will insist on playing the likes of Callum McGregor. 

And rightly so. McGregor is a tremendous player for Scotland albeit in a different position from Ferguson.

Ferguson would almost certainly have been used as a sub for Mcginn/Mctominay as a pressing 10.

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not suggesting he should be called up, but in any other era over the last 10 years or so Armstrong probably would be in the squad by now, given the consistent numbers he's been putting in over the last two years. He's just a bit unlucky that he's up against the likes of McTominay, McGinn, Christie etc for the attacking roles in our team rather than Matt Phillips and Barry Bannan or whatever.

Harsh on Phillips and Bannan surely? Phillips has at various times been a starter in the prem, while Bannan was considered one of the best players in the Championship when I was following Brentford at that level. 

I mean it as no disrespect to Armstrong, a player who is fun to watch but I don't agree with the two players you've singled out there. 

Phillips was rarely anything other than rubbish for Scotland and Bannan did us a turn but was mostly a decent Championship level player in his later days. The point is the difference between that and the attacking midfield options we have now.

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Phillips was rarely anything other than rubbish for Scotland and Bannan did us a turn but was mostly a decent Championship level player in his later days. The point is the difference between that and the attacking midfield options we have now.

I don't remember him as being that bad, I don't think we saw him play as well for us as what he was doing for his club side but I don't have chills remembering him. 

Bannan was exciting, or certainly I was excited by him when he first came through, he made a decent amount of Prem appearances for Villa and just looked like a lovely footballer. 

I don't disagree at all with that, we're in a better place now. Who would be the last attacking midfielder/winger who got capped for a side finishing 4th or lower in the prem? Would it be GMS/Armstrong at United? 

Real shame for Ferguson. I hope that it doesn't hamper a big move for him. He'll be a big miss for our squad at the Euros.

I'm still one of the ones that would like to see Gauld given a chance. Having seen him play a fair bit, I think he still offers something a bit different to our other attacking mids and could even play up front. But then again, I'd also like to go play some bluesy sax on a Springfield bridge. What can you do...

Is Danny Armstrong likely to get a big move? Be interested to see if he could cut it at a higher level. 

We've shown a lack of options out wide when we've moved to a midfield 4, I wouldn't be too annoyed to see Armstrong in the next squad

Shame for the player most of all hope this is something he can recover from and still get his big move. Even worse if it came from his own tackle....

He wouldn't have started but would have definitely played a role in the Euros.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Phillips wasn't great. He was probably roughly of a level of the likes of Nisbet, Brown or even Ross Stewart though. It's not like players of that standard aren't getting occasional caps. It's probably more that we play a system that doesn't really call for wingers. Can Armstrong play wing back? I've not seen enough of him to know. If he can't then his chances of getting a look in for Scotland are limited. I'm not sure Philips, who played more as a forward for Scotland, is a great comparison though. Bannon is a better one though he was / is more central than Armstrong.

9 hours ago, HoBNob said:

Harsh on Phillips and Bannan surely? Phillips has at various times been a starter in the prem

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Phillips was rarely anything other than rubbish for Scotland 

As someone who comes from a West Brom supporting family, and supporters them as my English side, this is incredibly harsh on Phillips. His career has sadly been hampered by injuries and he is in fact just coming back from another one. I have no doubt if he had steered clear of them, he would have played at a higher level than he has and would have and would have picked up a lot more Scotland caps, which he spoke about previously of being frustrated that he was only able to represent the country on 20 (from memory) occasions and it being during a relatively bleak time for the nation.

Anyway, gutted for Ferguson, especially after the season he has had. Having watched my son go through the same injury, I know how tough it can be for him....despite the op being private and the best of health care no doubt. Really wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he can pick up where he left off this time next year.