Time travel

I'd quite like to test the Butterfly Effect by going back a while and changing a then-seemingly unimportant event before returning back just 5 mins later.

For example, buying some Dweebs/Nerds instead of that packet of Panini stickers on 14/04/93, and then coming back to 2024 to find that Cameron Stout is the president of an independent Orcadian Republic.

As an aside, I occasionally wonder how much my individual presence or absence from a game would have affected the result (especially if it's a sh*te one).  I'd imagine it easily could, as even deciding to have an extra pre-match pint could delay the person behind me, who'd get into the ground 2 mins later and therefore not be in that position to throw the ball back to the player taking a throw-in when he would have otherwise, and so on...

Edited by Hedgecutter

46 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd quite like to test the Butterfly Effect by going back a while and changing a then-seemingly unimportant event before returning back just 5 mins later.

For example, buying some Dweebs/Nerds instead of that packet of Panini stickers on 14/04/93, and then coming back to 2024 to find that Cameron Stout is the president of an independent Orcadian Republic.

FYI: The Butterfly Effect is taken from the short story by Ray Bradbury called "The Sound of Thunder" where time travellers go back in time to kill a T-Rex.

Turned into an episode of "Ray Bradbury Theatre" which can be found on YouTube.

Not sure there is a need for you to do a remake with your story instead.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

As an aside, I occasionally wonder how much my individual presence or absence from a game would have affected the result (especially if it's a sh*te one).  I'd imagine it easily could, as even deciding to have an extra pre-match pint could delay the person behind me, who'd get into the ground 2 mins later and therefore not be in that position to throw the ball back to the player taking a throw-in when he would have otherwise, and so on...

I've wondered that too.

I suspect the smaller the crowd the more likely it is to have an effect.

9 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

I've wondered that too.

I wonder what the result would be if the players weren't getting the great advice I have to offer from the stands.

19 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

In all seriousness, not read the whole thread but has no one said anything like back to when no one won the euromillons and you stick the numbers on yersel 

Not a bad idea- take John McGuinness's numbers and no-one will come in to save Livingston FC during their first bankruptcy....

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:

I've wondered that too.

Could argue the opposite. The bigger the crowd the more people you could potentially be delaying from entering the ground, getting their bovril, using the urinal etc.