Time travel

14 minutes ago, southernrover said:

I'd honestly go back to all the towns and places I know now to see what they were like 50, 100, 150 years ago and what have you. What's changed, what x looked like before y happened, what was this pub or that ground really like...

Unless I'm being whooshed, you don't need to?

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/249681-a-photographic-history-of-scottish-football/page/366/#comment-14198512

The first question would be am I dumped into whatever time/place without resources (making anything much older than about 1945 dicey on both the medical front and the stranger in an area fromt) or are you an observer (meaning you don’t experience, just view)?

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

As an aside, is there anyone that actually thinks this will ever be possible?

The principle is pretty simple to go forwards, impossible to go back.

Everyone would stink in the olden days, you wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about, you'd almost certainly catch an horrific disease and they'd likely catch something off you which would wipe out the species and prevent you ever being born.

Would have to just play it safe and go to the future and check the Lottery numbers.

12 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Everyone would stink in the olden days, you wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about, you'd almost certainly catch an horrific disease and they'd likely catch something off you which would wipe out the species and prevent you ever being born.

Would have to just play it safe and go to the future and check the Lottery numbers.

Why would everyone stink? 

26 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Be like a visit to Dundee then

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

As an aside, is there anyone that actually thinks this will ever be possible?

The Earth travels around the sun at a speed of 67,000 miles per hour.

Assuming you still want to be on Earth at the other end of your travels then that is something else you need to consider.

HTH

4 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Because it was the olden days!

Ahh right. 

I never considered how everything would be in black and white and there'd be nobody over the age of 40. 

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Pre agricultural times. I'm fascinated by the idea of Scotland as completely natural and unchanged by human engineering. Wild forests, trees covering the mountains and proper wildlife. 

Absolutely.  Love to see what wildlife existed then.  Would also like to witness the Romans in Scotland  - just how much more advanced they were and see them piss aff never to return

23 minutes ago, RuMoore said:

Why would everyone stink? 

Well, obviously depending how far back you go. But even as recently as the start of the 20th century most people didn't brush their teeth, and the idea of bathing and changing clothes regularly is fairly recent. Also, if you get an abscess it would just fester before there were antibiotics etc.

6 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

The Earth travels around the sun at a speed of 67,000 miles per hour.

Assuming you still want to be on Earth at the other end of your travels then that is something else you need to consider.

HTH

You can’t travel only through time, you’d need to enter co-ordinates on the spacetime continuum in any case. 

If I can choose my location too I’m popping in to the pre Pictish Iron Age in Northern Scotland to find out what Brochs were actually for and how they were roofed, swinging past the Permian to see dimetrodon and going forward a million years to be probed and experimented on by homo electronicus and their Alpha Centaurian overlords.