Which Male Comedian Do You Hate The Most?

On 07/01/2024 at 19:30, mathematics said:

I like Lee Evans.

I’m glad that Reginald D. Hunter and Bill Bailey haven’t been mentioned.

Reveal hidden contents

Don’t even think about it.

I went to see Reginald D Hunter at the Pavilion in Glasgow years ago.  It was a really strange night. He absolutely died on his arse, and really seemed like he couldn't be fucked.  After almost bang on 60 minutes on stage, he announced that he had "done his obligated time" (or words to that effect) and that was it.  Folk sort of hung about expecting him to come back out and he didn't.

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I went to see Reginald D Hunter at the Pavilion in Glasgow years ago.  It was a really strange night. He absolutely died on his arse, and really seemed like he couldn't be fucked.  After almost bang on 60 minutes on stage, he announced that he had "done his obligated time" (or words to that effect) and that was it.  Folk sort of hung about expecting him to come back out and he didn't.

Billy Connolly did the same in the Kings Theatre the time he did the gag about yer man being decapitated by ISiS.

Someone shouted ffs Billy and Connolly said eff you and walked off the stage.

10 minutes into the gig.

19 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Barry Humphries, chronic as is previously mentioned Lee Evan's. Never got Russ Abbott back in the day and I can't stand the Tim Vine one liner style either.

That’s one of my two hitherto escapees. One more to go before P&B hates everyone I like. 

I feel like a Mediterranean Island 

“don’t be Sicily”

On 07/01/2024 at 20:34, dagane said:

For one's I thought were very good

Bill Bailey , saw him in Glasgow a a couple of years ago , don't know that he even told a joke but the whole audience  pissed themselves laughing all night

Couple of months ago went to a Scottish comedians night at Kilmarnock

Stuart Mitchell , did well ,thought he was learning the game

Des Clarke , enjoy breaking the news ,thought he was very good

Billy Kirkwood ,hilarious hyperactive nutjob

Raymond Mearns , loved the deadpan humour , pished myself laughing

His routines with an ochestra are just brilliant - very clever and funny.

39 minutes ago, coprolite said:

That’s one of my two hitherto escapees. One more to go before P&B hates everyone I like. 

I feel like a Mediterranean Island 

“don’t be Sicily”

Just his style I don't like not really anything personal. I think the thread title is a bit strong. Some "funny" people I don't get but I would never say I actually hate them. As you highlight perfectly it's all objective, one man's meat is another man's poison as they say.

Ricky Gervais stand up is shit. I did like the Office when it came out, still not got round to watching the US version which I keep being told is better. Extras was good must admit. Just his stand up is crap & annoying. 

Franky Boyle, not much a fan. Doesn't annoy me though like Gervais does. 

For me, I like Doug Stanhope, Danny Boy (saw him last year and he was fantastic). The best for me is Bill Hicks. However, his goatboy stuff hasn't aged well for sure. Richard Pryor used to like back in the day. Sean Lock was a big loss. Would have liked to have seen Rik Mayall do his routines too.

16 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm glad the spirit of the Glasgow Empire lives on- "no turn unstoned"

Known as the Comic's Graveyard with good reason.

One infamous reaction was to the Winters Brothers during their early years working the circuit - Mike Winters had already been straining their patience for some time, he was joined belatedly on stage by brother Bernie. 'Aw Christ,' groaned one local from high up in the gods, 'there's TWO of 'em!'

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Known as the Comic's Gravetard with good reason.

One infamous reaction was to the Winters Brothers during their early years working the circuit - Mike Winters had already been straining their patience for some time, he was joined belatedly on stage by brother Bernie. 'Aw Christ,' groaned one local from high up in the gods, 'there's TWO of 'em!'

Never understood this Glasgow Empire business. Always seemed to say more about the stupidity of the audience than the quality of the acts in my opinion. Presumably Des O'Connor, Mike & Bernie Winters et al were still paid whereas the 'smartarse' heckling in the dark had paid money to watch someone he had no interest in. "Why do that Glasgow ?", as any comedian worth their salt might have said.

Edited by kennie makevin

17 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had the same experience when I saw him over here a few years ago.

I did like the BBC programme he did about music in the Southern US states.

On 07/01/2024 at 19:34, blackislekillie said:

Lee Hurst. 

On 07/01/2024 at 19:38, eindhovendee said:

The word "comedian" doing some very heavy lifting there.

I'm glad he came up anyway though. Particularly here on a football forum. I remember the shite that passed for a lot of TV in the 90s, and there were plenty of my mates who would watch total shit like They Think It's All Over simply because it was sport-related, and were in denial about it being chronically unfunny shite. I feel time has vindicated my viewpoint.

On 08/01/2024 at 12:46, Crawford Bridge said:

You all love dead Bill Hicks don't you? It's easy being dead Bill Hicks. 

I wish I could be judged on 90 minutes worth of material. 

I don't think Bill Hicks was bad but he certainly wasn't anything like as revolutionary or amazing as was made out. I remember when the videos were first circulating over here and it seemed like he was saying stuff that wouldn't have been out of place at all in a lot of the UK circuit. It might be that it was more incisive than most of what was breaking trough into the mainstream of US standup at the time, but I wouldn't know. Either way it was fine but nothing crazy. Then he died and all of a sudden was this firebrand character.
Also, I hate that "'kay? 'Kay." Rhetorical call & response shit he does in one of the shows. 

Aye Bill Hicks is one I never got a lot of fuss over. George Carlin's later stuff I found to be similar to Connolly on that it was just polemic rather than comedy.

Earlier George Carlin is utterly peerless standup. The man was a genius.

Edited by velo army

Old boomers need to recognise that Morecambe and Wise were rank and stop clogging up Christmas TV schedules with this deception. Ditto the Two Ronnies (pretty much most acts from that time tbh)

48 minutes ago, ThomCat said:

Old boomers need to recognise that Morecambe and Wise were rank and stop clogging up Christmas TV schedules with this deception. Ditto the Two Ronnies (pretty much most acts from that time tbh)

They generally follow it up with drivel about everything from Steptoe and Son, to Dad's Army, to On the Buses, and all the way through to Only Fools and Horses by way of Open All Hours and Porridge.
Mainly shite.

Hancock's Half Hour will often get lobbed in, and while  can see it's well written and performed, it doesn't mean I can't pretend it's not aged. It's not the fault of the programmes themselves sometimes; they've been copied, parodied, reworked so many times in media since that the gags are basically telegraphed from a mile off to modern eyes. It's a bit like 50s rock n' roll. I get that it was new and exciting at the time, but f**k me it's trite and route-one by today's expectations.

All that said, we don't always move onwards an upwards. There will always be enough actual simpletons in the world that Mrs Brown's Boys will have a large audience.