Overrated/Underrated food.

3 hours ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I think it's more fear of trying something outwith their comfort zone.

I have Welch fishmonger not far from me but I usually buy the same stuff even although there is so much to choose from. I don't want to waste money on something I don't know how to cook properly and the fish is so expensive. 

On 12/01/2024 at 10:56, craigkillie said:

The problem people have with tofu is that typically they buy it once, cook it badly and then never have it again. If you're a regular member of the tofu-eating wokerati then you start to learn how to cook it well and start to enjoy it a lot more.

Aye, the tofu you get in a Chinese restaurant too is often just slimy curd. Dreadful.

When it's fried so it's crispy it's even better than meat I think. The tofu at Dr Noodles is outstanding. Crispy, spongy and soaks up the sauce beautifully. Fantastic stuff.

27 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Probably the most posh phrase I've ever seen 

I've never been called posh before😁 it's quite a down to earth little place with a couple of tables, I usually get a take away.

With it being a former Dutch colony Indonesian food is very popular over here.

Screenshot_2024-01-13-14-57-39-49_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

5 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

c7d8a05ae960407c8055376a3a9a6f0a.jpg.327353b64b8c88b3e8560972853994e5.jpg

Where the apostrophe at String? Huh? Where's the apostrophe? That's all I wanna know. So where the f**k is the apostrophe?

Anyway, agree with most seafood being underrated. The shellfish haters in here have clearly never tried langoustines, and while I'd agree that scallops are overpriced for the quantity you get in a restaurant, buying them from a proper fishmonger rather than a supermarket and making something yourself with them really can't be beaten.

Heartbreaking that we ship langoustines abroad.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

I've never been called posh before😁 it's quite a down to earth little place with a couple of tables, I usually get a take away.

With it being a former Dutch colony Indonesian food is very popular over here.

Screenshot_2024-01-13-14-57-39-49_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

Haha, yes that explains a lot then. 

4 hours ago, velo army said:

Aye, the tofu you get in a Chinese restaurant too is often just slimy curd. Dreadful.

When it's fried so it's crispy it's even better than meat I think. The tofu at Dr Noodles is outstanding. Crispy, spongy and soaks up the sauce beautifully. Fantastic stuff.

ha ha laughing GIF

8 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Its fair enough to not like a type of food but it always amazes me just how many people in Scotland dont like seafood or very rarely eat it when we have some of the best seafood in the world easily available

It doesn't matter how good it is, I refuse to eat something that swims in it's own shit.

Pak choi/bok choy is pretty underrated. Leaves and bulb can be used for different things and are both fairly versatile. Easy to cut up and can be used in so many things.

Raw ginger is great too. Cheap, easy to peel, easy to cut up and can add so much flavour to so many things.

42 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Bagels are shit. People need to accept this truth into their lives.

The cinnamon and raisin ones are a delight when cut in half, toasted and buttered.

13 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

It doesn't matter how good it is, I refuse to eat something that swims in it's own shit.

Not as bad as non-free range chicken.

They eat their own shit.

22 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

If fishmongers weren’t so expensive or if the fish you get in supermarkets wasn’t so terrible then this would be less of problem. 

Supermarkets killed off so many traditional independent fishmongers, butchers, dairies and bakeries. Boo!😡