Overrated/Underrated food.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A guilty pleasure of mine is a plain chicken sandwich using white bread. Salt and some kind of spread the only other ingredients. Bland can be good.

image.thumb.png.684beee17fb768c7e8873d080ac76ad7.png

Like shards of rubber between two polystyrene ceiling tiles.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

The reason then that you think all our veg is shite is because you are buying it in the wrong places.

Go to a farmers market or greengrocers and get the good stuff.

It might be good but it's a fundamentally limited range because it's a cool, wet and limited sunlight climate. No amount of polytunnel help will produce a proper tomato or other vegetables that require actual warmth and sunlight.

On the other hand, the (general) Scottish aversion to fish and seafood is a scandal that is the source of many of the country's health problems. 

22 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

For me tea is like whisky, if you feel the need to mix it, you're drinking the wrong stuff. You can get it from a Chinese supermarket, and that'd probably be my first stop, I think one of those ones up the bridges sells some half decent stuff which will give you a good idea of what it's about.

If you enjoy that then, again like whisky, it's about how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go. The best stuff tends to be over three years old but less than fifteen. Even the stuff from the Chinese supermarket will be like drinking Lagavulin after a lifetime of Glen's Vodka though.

Let me know how it goes. 

I'm going to do this. I need to buy a teapot first. I have to make sure I buy the right teapot but I think I might need to buy a couple. 

23 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

White teas (like Pu Er) are up there with Irn Bru Energy when it comes to giving a lasting, edgy blast of nervous energy.

I had a search yesterday after reading this and I saw that there are two types. Sheng & Shu. They don't taste the same. The one you describe must be the Sheng (gives extra energy and can disturb sleep). Might come in handy.

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

Underrated - home made soups with added lentils, split peas, and any kind of seasonal veg.

Get a decent soup maker - sauté leeks and onions as a base in butter and extra virgin oil. Add spices like tumeric, etc add fresh ingredients like ginger and coriander. 

I regularly make a variety of soups - potato, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots , broccoli (& Stilton)

Overrated : placenta curry

A pot is all you need or do you mean investing in a personal chef ?

6 hours ago, Raidernation said:

I Fuuuucking HATE celery. I can taste even the smallest amount. In the bin now please. I drink tomato juice, but cannot drink V8 because of this, and the number of places that try to palm you off with V8 instead and think you won't notice? I have had arguments in restaurants over this and I'm not being a kuunt.

Same with fennel. Pointless. Why make your food taste like a licorice allsort? I want a savoury dish you fashionista twat.

This is me, but with cucumber. Fucking disgusting, food tainting, disgusting disgustingness.

3 hours ago, virginton said:

It might be good but it's a fundamentally limited range because it's a cool, wet and limited sunlight climate. No amount of polytunnel help will produce a proper tomato or other vegetables that require actual warmth and sunlight.

On the other hand, the (general) Scottish aversion to fish and seafood is a scandal that is the source of many of the country's health problems. 

Agree with you on fish but my elderly mother said that the tomatoes grown in the greenhouses on the Clyde were really good.

Said greenhouses are now abandoned as it was cheaper to import Spanish tomatoes.

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

image.thumb.png.684beee17fb768c7e8873d080ac76ad7.png

Like shards of rubber between two polystyrene ceiling tiles.

When I have cold roast chicken leftovers (basically twice a week - I know the kids will eat chicken above all else) this is my better half's absolute top pleasure. Crusty bread, salted butter, roast chicken. Anything else is a complication and annoying apparently.

I like a messy complicated sandwich, but I can get behind this one.

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'm going to do this. I need to buy a teapot first. I have to make sure I buy the right teapot but I think I might need to buy a couple. 

I had a search yesterday after reading this and I saw that there are two types. Sheng & Shu. They don't taste the same. The one you describe must be the Sheng (gives extra energy and can disturb sleep). Might come in handy.

A.K.A. raw and ripe. Essentially one is just a quicker way of getting to the desired end product.

It started out when tea was pressed into cakes and taken by donkeys over long mountain passes, fermenting on the way.

Lapsang Souchong was similarly invented inadvertently when a passing army demanded tea from villagers. It wasn't ready so they dried it over pine fires to speed up the process. The resultant smoky tea proving popular.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

It doesn't help that it's priced so highly, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. If it's not one of a select few species of fish the general public just aren't interested. I'm sure there's a correlation between supporting the Old Firm and refusing to eat octopus.

5 hours ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

A.K.A. raw and ripe. Essentially one is just a quicker way of getting to the desired end product.

It started out when tea was pressed into cakes and taken by donkeys over long mountain passes, fermenting on the way.

Lapsang Souchong was similarly invented inadvertently when a passing army demanded tea from villagers. It wasn't ready so they dried it over pine fires to speed up the process. The resultant smoky tea proving popular.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

It doesn't help that it's priced so highly, but I agree with you wholeheartedly. If it's not one of a select few species of fish the general public just aren't interested. I'm sure there's a correlation between supporting the Old Firm and refusing to eat octopus.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

This causes me an un-natural level of rage, only made worse when I approach the increasingly more pitiful fish sections of *name any supermarket* in some sort of forlorn hope that they might just have something interesting, fresh or different. 

A nation of absolute children. 

Its something iv always associated with a sort of reverse snobbery. Folk think your a posh weirdo if you have some idea what to do with a razor clam rather than just shovelling tonights preferred shape of Bernard Matthews eyelids and arseholes onto a baking tray

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This causes me an un-natural level of rage, only made worse when I approach the increasingly more pitiful fish sections of *name any supermarket* in some sort of forlorn hope that they might just have something interesting, fresh or different. 

Its something iv always associated with a sort of reverse snobbery. Folk think your a posh weirdo if you have some idea what to do with a razor clam rather than just shovelling tonights preferred shape of Bernard Matthews eyelids and arseholes onto a baking tray

That's true. I know so many people with that sort of inverted snobbery towards food.

They'd rather go to some chain restaurant in a retail park than to an independent place that does fine dining. 

14 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

That's true. I know so many people with that sort of inverted snobbery towards food.

They'd rather go to some chain restaurant in a retail park than to an independent place that does fine dining. 

I think it's more fear of trying something outwith their comfort zone.

On 12/01/2024 at 08:18, D Angelo Barksdale said:

It wouldn't let me for some reason. Kept rejecting it.

c7d8a05ae960407c8055376a3a9a6f0a.jpg.327353b64b8c88b3e8560972853994e5.jpg

Where the apostrophe at String? Huh? Where's the apostrophe? That's all I wanna know. So where the f**k is the apostrophe?

Anyway, agree with most seafood being underrated. The shellfish haters in here have clearly never tried langoustines, and while I'd agree that scallops are overpriced for the quantity you get in a restaurant, buying them from a proper fishmonger rather than a supermarket and making something yourself with them really can't be beaten.

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Have you considered that fish smells and looks weird?

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

c7d8a05ae960407c8055376a3a9a6f0a.jpg.327353b64b8c88b3e8560972853994e5.jpg

Where the apostrophe at String? Huh? Where's the apostrophe? That's all I wanna know. So where the f**k is the apostrophe?

Anyway, agree with most seafood being underrated. The shellfish haters in here have clearly never tried langoustines, and while I'd agree that scallops are overpriced for the quantity you get in a restaurant, buying them from a proper fishmonger rather than a supermarket and making something yourself with them really can't be beaten.

Its fair enough to not like a type of food but it always amazes me just how many people in Scotland dont like seafood or very rarely eat it when we have some of the best seafood in the world easily available

16 hours ago, virginton said:

If fishmongers weren’t so expensive or if the fish you get in supermarkets wasn’t so terrible then this would be less of problem.