Overrated/Underrated food.

41 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

Most overrated food has to be turkey. 

I'd say crab meat is underrated. Hot in linguine or spaghetti with cream or cold in a salad, it's excellent.

Oh No Omg GIF by The Office

Edited by jimbaxters

I’m willing to fight the lad who compared a fine steak to a chicken breast. 

In a twist, vegetarian/vegan dishes get a bad name. There’s some really simple dished with lentils, chickpeas, butternut squash etc that are lovely. 

Underrated

Frozen peas - Versatile, cheap & healthy -adds colour and sweetness to meals.

Treacle scones - The king of scones and a national travesty that so few bakers or cafés sell them in its homeland.

Tinned sardines - Delicious, cheap and healthy. Lovely on toast or just straight out of the tin tbh.

Overrated

Oreos: The jumped-up American cousin of the bourbon. Oily tasting

Tunnocks caramel wafer - Claggy and not even good for dunking. Also just picture Boyd Tunnock (Dead pool pick 🤞) and his stupid "No" photos with Tories whenever I see tunnocks products. Off-putting.

Underrated- Peas*Excellent on their own with fish & chips or in a salad in the summer. Great addition to curries & split peas in broth.

*Exceptions - Mushy peas & peas brose.

Overrated- overly sweet puddings, I’d rather have a citrus dessert anytime. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m willing to fight the lad who compared a fine steak to a chicken breast. 

In a twist, vegetarian/vegan dishes get a bad name. There’s some really simple dished with lentils, chickpeas, butternut squash etc that are lovely. 

Most vegan food is culinary gaslighting, but vegan curries are brilliant.

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

Most vegan food is culinary gaslighting, but vegan curries are brilliant.

Agree if it’s shitty substitutes like soy “fish” or quorn but I more mean just making dishes using non-meat/dairy ingredients. 

A vegan curry is an excellent example. 

Edited by Dons_1988

5 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Nope. It's an essential part of the trio of veg used as a cooking base- celery, carrot & onion. It will be in loads of dishes that you have eaten but is so subtle that you are unaware of it.

Well aware of that particular use and you are right in that guise it's practically tasteless but eaten raw as plenty folk seem to do (with peanut butter or pate seems a particular work place favourite) it's bowfin stuff and it has a very distinctive taste.  Even celeriac doesn't taste anything like raw celery.

3 hours ago, ThomCat said:

Underrated

Frozen peas - Versatile, cheap & healthy -adds colour and sweetness to meals.

Treacle scones - The king of scones and a national travesty that so few bakers or cafés sell them in its homeland.

Tinned sardines - Delicious, cheap and healthy. Lovely on toast or just straight out of the tin tbh.

Overrated

Oreos: The jumped-up American cousin of the bourbon. Oily tasting

Tunnocks caramel wafer - Claggy and not even good for dunking. Also just picture Boyd Tunnock (Dead pool pick 🤞) and his stupid "No" photos with Tories whenever I see tunnocks products. Off-putting.

Morrisons finest tinned sardines in olive oil flavoured with chilli or the lemon and herbs ones are brilliant.

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

I only eat wild brown trout.  Perhaps I should have stated that, apolgies.

3 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Not the best diet tbf, you should definitely have something other than protein. 

3 hours ago, velo army said:

You type really well for an Osprey tbf 

Good to see pedantry is alive and well.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Well aware of that particular use and you are right in that guise it's practically tasteless but eaten raw as plenty folk seem to do (with peanut butter or pate seems a particular work place favourite) it's bowfin stuff and it has a very distinctive taste.  Even celeriac doesn't taste anything like raw celery.

I didn't realise it was such a rated vegetable, but I love it.

Celeriac smells a bit like celery, but it kinda makes sense that they don't taste the same as they're different parts of the plant and are structurally very different. 

Underrated

Tinned Jersey potatoes

A stir fry with the likes of beansprouts, egg noodles, vegetables of your choice and lots of diced meat marinaded in a suitable sauce overnight.

You can add or take out whatever you want, is quick to cook and is so filling.

Edited by BukyOHare

Overrated, Italian cuisine. I've never had anything from an Italian restaurant that was significantly better than I could make myself with some dried pasta and a jar of Newman's Own

Underrated, Central and Eastern European cuisine. I just love stuff like Goulash and Bigos.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Over-rated - anything American:

Shite chocolate

Shite contaminated chicken

Shite eggs

Shite beef

Shite tinned haggis

Shite whiskey (SP)

Shite beer

Shite country 

Thought they'd killed Bin Laden...

54 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Overrated, Italian cuisine. I've never had anything from an Italian restaurant that was significantly better than I could make myself with some dried pasta and a jar of Newman's Own

Underrated, Central and Eastern European cuisine. I just love stuff like Goulash and Bigos.

That is true outside of Italy, most Italian restaurants in the English Speaking world are pretty meh

And 100% agree about Central/Eastern European food.  Pierogies, goulash, cevapcici, burek, sudjuk and sirene cheese are just some examples of Central/Eastern European things that are fantastic

Edited by senorsoupe