Overrated/Underrated food.

Aparagus - just a bland, tasteless vegetable. I've never understood why Europeans, particularly Germans, get so excited about it. Some years ago I was in a restaurant in German at the start of 'asparagus season' and they had an entire specials menu based on it, even asparagus creme brulee as dessert. 

32 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Just had a cheese savoury sandwich for lunch. Phenomenal. 100% in the underrated category when it comes to sandwiches.

Mayo in general is underrated. People who don't like it need to fucking grow up IMO.

Mayonnaise is dreadful. People who like it need to fucking grow up IMO.

38 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Scallops and Lobster are tremendous fair, fresh, lightly cooked and sitting next to the sea with a hangover.

Sounds like my dream date. Just name the date and time and I’ll be there.

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Sounds like my dream date. Just name the date and time and I’ll be there.

Down by the docks in Dundee. Im there most evenings (1900 - 2230 hrs).

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

You can't say farer than that!

Fare enough.

I know that seafood is not everyone's thing, but Octopus and Squid are both underrated while I can agree that Lobster is overrated.  Not that I dislike lobster but it's just not worth the price point

28 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I know that seafood is not everyone's thing, but Octopus and Squid are both underrated while I can agree that Lobster is overrated.  Not that I dislike lobster but it's just not worth the price point

I like octopus done well but done badly it's horrific. I don't recommend Lidl's tins of octopus in spicy sauce. 

48 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Fish

Underrated: Swordfish, Trout

Overrated: Tilapia, Pollock 

Ach, that's a bit unfair. They're doing ok this season. Beat Talbot on the opening day.

21 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I like octopus done well but done badly it's horrific. I don't recommend Lidl's tins of octopus in spicy sauce. 

Vomiting Marcus Butler GIF by StyleHaul

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Those Chilli ones are sublime. I'm saddened to read I'm going to have to stop buying them such is my thirst to cut all aid off to Fife and see their people extinct.

Other Fife exports being most of the main people “who cannot be named for legal reasons” in the organised crime thread. 

Edited by Shandon Par

Underrated: Mince Rolls. I have converted many English people to this delicacy.

Overrated: Agree with a few above but Avacado and Asparagus are rank.

19 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Underrated: Mince Rolls. I have converted many English people to this delicacy.

Yes!

19 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Overrated: Agree with a few above but Avacado and Asparagus are rank.

No!

8 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Bacon, steak and salmon the most overrated by far. 

Bacon is actually good, but there's a pervasive attitude towards bacon that its one of the best foods in existence. It's merely just good.

Steak is literally just a slab of meat on a plate. What a boring b*****d of a meal. Imagine you went to a restaurant and just asked for a plate of plain chicken.

Salmon = watery, weak tasting shite. Woulnd't make it into the top 10 tastiest fish. Shite.

Bacon - would tend to agree. Id counter that its complemented nicely with a fried egg in a roll, however.

Steak - mmrhhhhm, cant agree. Rare/medium rare with a quality sauce (asiago cheese, diane, bearnaise) is at a premium for a reason.

Salmon - a fillet maybe but i go the other way on it, if anything it can be too rich. Can go well with cream cheese, eggs benedict etc.

Generally anything with eggs is better tbh.

Celery is garbage, totally pointless existence.

Love fish and shellfish but having been involved in commercial fishing I  concur that lobster simply isn't worthy of its price point. I like it well enough and still catch an odd one when we manage to get our few pots out but simply wouldn't pay for it.

Fish wise trout and salmon are well over rated. Love herring and sardines but it has to be really fresh. Hake is seriously under rated and scallops are the food of Angel's but a lovely big brown crab takes some beating especially in pasta with a few clams and prawns.

Had veal when out on Saturday night done in a marsala and mushroom sauce. It was melt in the mouth delicious. Hadn't tried it like that and rare to see it on a UK menu in that way. Rated it highly. 

Oh and a perfectly good steak is a wonderful thing too but is becoming an expensive treat these days. A few under rated lesser cuts are great. Cheeks in particular (pork, beef or from big fish like monk) are excellent when cooked right as can be liver and heart.

11 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I made chips in the airfryer last night with some new potatoes I had left over.  I also bought some baked potatoes for lunch for the next few days.  A simply glorious and versatile food.

As I found out courtesy of OTB at the weekend, they're also used to make the white bit of macaroon bars.  I did not see that coming.