Overrated/Underrated food.

My son goes mad for the american sweets and treats but i havent tasting anything that wasnt sickly sweet.

The most over-rated being Oreos for me.

You can get crushed up oreos on your ice cream now but after the ice cream melts you are left with a mouthful of tasteless grit.

I got a laugh before when i scraped out the white bit of an oreo, replaced it with toothpaste and put it back in the packet. 

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Italian recipe in Scotland will indubitably taste shite because Italy has very tasty ingredients and all our veg is garbage

Not had such an awful take in a very  long time. Congratulations.

On 09/01/2024 at 14:13, Cosmic Joe said:

Top tip re tatties. Buy them from your local Polish shop. Not very environmentally sound, but they are tremendous.

I've found the fruit and veg in general to be great from most Polish and Eastern European shops. There's one in Govanhill that has a huge range of tomatoes in the summer months, and also sells those pale green peppers and yellow beans, both of which I'm partial to, and neither of which are carried by most other shops. Buying punnets of cherries, various currants, strawberries, etc. costs about half of what it does elsewhere too, and is of better quality. I make a point of going into Eastern European shops whenever I see them. Rarely disappointed.

21 hours ago, velo army said:

This speaks to my point. It's fucking ham and eggs in pasta. Also, Italians are wildly fastidious about the "authenticity" of their food, but I'll bet you there are a few places in Italy that put cream in it. Carbonara just refers to the burnt bacon. Nutmeg is an outstanding addition tbf.

12 hours ago, GHF-23 said:

The weird thing about the Italian fastidiousness is most of those recipes date in their present form at best from the 60s. When an Italian cultural historian pointed this out he received death threats

This is true for a lot of stuff in Italy. It's also funny how the Italian far-right like to propagate this notion of a shared cultural heritage, considering how discrete the regions used to view themselves from each other.
In terms of food I suppose if we go back far enough you could point out that tomatoes have only been there since the 16th Century, and going back further no-one in Europe had pasta either.

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but tofu and tempe are underrated, the crispy sambal tempe from my local Indonesian restaurant is amazing.

And deservedly so. 

1 hour ago, stevieKTID said:

I'll probably get slaughtered for this but tofu and tempe are underrated, the crispy sambal tempe from my local Indonesian restaurant is amazing.

The mrs is doing veganuary for some reason, anyway she had tofu once and was disgusted and swore never to have it again. 

Underrated - Seafood (bar lobster which is overrated - crab is better than lobster). Love all seafood from simple fish & chips to scallops, oysters, prawns/langoustine. Make own fish pies and couquilles san jacque,

Which takes to the 2nd underrated food potatoes, in Couquille, mashed for top of a fish pie, chips with your fish, toppings for other pies, boiled, roasted, and always boil too may so you have a few to chop and fry on a Sunday morning with your breakfast. Fried Tattie scone yes, fried tatties yes - Hash brown - not on my breakfast.

Haggis is also underrated either on its own or when I make sausage rolls or pies with mince, mix in some haggis for a bit a spice.

Overrated - chinese takeaways. always suspicious of foods that insist on too much sauce to hide the main ingredient.

The problem people have with tofu is that typically they buy it once, cook it badly and then never have it again. If you're a regular member of the tofu-eating wokerati then you start to learn how to cook it well and start to enjoy it a lot more.

On 09/01/2024 at 09:11, Jives Miguel said:

Bacon, steak and salmon the most overrated by far. 

Bacon is actually good, but there's a pervasive attitude towards bacon that its one of the best foods in existence. It's merely just good.

Steak is literally just a slab of meat on a plate. What a boring b*****d of a meal. Imagine you went to a restaurant and just asked for a plate of plain chicken.

Salmon = watery, weak tasting shite. Woulnd't make it into the top 10 tastiest fish. Shite.

"A plate of plain chicken, please, bring the condiments to the table and I'll add them myself and to my own taste, thank you"...there , not difficult. Imagine on the other hand, ordering chicken with all sorts of all sorts smeared over it and vomiting all over your dining companion...or having a severe allergic reaction....but hey, at least I'm not boring. !!!!

11 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

A guilty pleasure of mine is a plain chicken sandwich using white bread. Salt and some kind of spread the only other ingredients. Bland can be good.

With chips, of course?

5 hours ago, 101 said:

Not had such an awful take in a very  long time. Congratulations.

Thank you. But if you think you're even using the same varieties as the standard recipes then you're kidding yourself.

It's patently obvious that fruit and veg in UK supermarkets is selected for appearance and cost, not flavour.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkant said:

This.

"Our froot and veg are shit. strawberrys shit in December. tomatoes shit in January"

I wonder why eh?

Tomatoes in Scotland are shite year round. I love a simple salad when I'm in southern Europe, in Scotland they're offensively bland.

27 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Thank you. But if you think you're even using the same varieties as the standard recipes then you're kidding yourself.

It's patently obvious that fruit and veg in UK supermarkets is selected for appearance and cost, not flavour.

Tomatoes in Scotland are shite year round. I love a simple salad when I'm in southern Europe, in Scotland they're offensively bland.

The reason then that you think all our veg is shite is because you are buying it in the wrong places.

Go to a farmers market or greengrocers and get the good stuff.

I Fuuuucking HATE celery. I can taste even the smallest amount. In the bin now please. I drink tomato juice, but cannot drink V8 because of this, and the number of places that try to palm you off with V8 instead and think you won't notice? I have had arguments in restaurants over this and I'm not being a kuunt.

Same with fennel. Pointless. Why make your food taste like a licorice allsort? I want a savoury dish you fashionista twat.

Underrated - home made soups with added lentils, split peas, and any kind of seasonal veg.

Get a decent soup maker - sauté leeks and onions as a base in butter and extra virgin oil. Add spices like tumeric, etc add fresh ingredients like ginger and coriander. 

I regularly make a variety of soups - potato, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots , broccoli (& Stilton)

Overrated : placenta curry

2 hours ago, 101 said:

The reason then that you think all our veg is shite is because you are buying it in the wrong places.

Go to a farmers market or greengrocers and get the good stuff.

This thread is obviously all about generalisations, but if you want to focus on 1% of the fruit and veg bought in Scotland then fill your boots.