Overrated/Underrated food.

Underrated : Tuna. I eat it almost everyday. Its versatile and can be added to numerous things or on its own.

Underrated : Beetroot. Preferably sliced but, much like tuna is wonderful in its versatility. 

Overrated : Lettuce. It's absolutely shite, Geoff.

Underrated: Carrots.  A versatile and tasty vegetable

Overrated: Cauliflower, I just find it bland, much prefer broccoli 

Underrated: Asparagus.  Really tasty, especially cooked with butter

Edited by senorsoupe

Underrated - potatos dauphinoise. Just cheesy potatoes, one might think, but if theyre done right and nice n' crispy i could live on them. Maybe not underrated but not something you're going to hear much about, underappreciated perhaps.

Overrated - not pizza in general, but chain pizzas (dominos, pizza hut etc.) Have always found there's some other takeaway in the area that can do a better pizza, and cheaper.

Edit: underrated - brie cheese. Its vastly superior to cheddar/mozzarella, fite me.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

The most overrated food on the planet has to be oysters. Like having a mouthful of slimy seawater and anyone who raves about them is following a narrative that they are some sort of luxury. 

For me seafood wise -

Underrappreciated is crab. Spiced crabmeat linguine. Unf.

Overrated is lobster. Fillet steak is vastly superior in general, especially at that sort of price point

5 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Underrated : Tuna. I eat it almost everyday. Its versatile and can be added to numerous things or on its own.

Underrated : Beetroot. Preferably sliced but, much like tuna is wonderful in its versatility. 

I saw the topic headline and immediately thought Beetroot.

I grew loads last year and pickled a great deal of it (roasted some others) Twice in the last week I have bought fairly substantial bags of tatties with the intention of making stovies (if ever two foods went together.....) I have gone to the cupboard and my tatties are gone - then I see a big pot of mash that has been made by my Ukranian guests.  I would say something but they are always offering me food (as they batch cook a great deal)

Now that the festive period is over, I thought that I would add that turkey is under-rated.  I always use it in my stir-frys (prefered over chicken) and now use it in lasagne instead of beef.  It's cheaper and in my opinion better tasting.

Bacon, steak and salmon the most overrated by far. 

Bacon is actually good, but there's a pervasive attitude towards bacon that its one of the best foods in existence. It's merely just good.

Steak is literally just a slab of meat on a plate. What a boring b*****d of a meal. Imagine you went to a restaurant and just asked for a plate of plain chicken.

Salmon = watery, weak tasting shite. Woulnd't make it into the top 10 tastiest fish. Shite.

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

I like your list its all good, and this might be a slightly off topic question, but - is there a question about how much tuna you consume weekly and mercury ?

I know "they" say you can eat loads before turning into a thermometer - but then again "they" said smoking was fine and dandy until it really wasnt.

15 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Steak is literally just a slab of meat on a plate. What a boring b*****d of a meal. Imagine you went to a restaurant and just asked for a plate of plain chicken.

It’s almost as if steak and chicken are two completely different meats, with two completely different flavour profiles.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

The most overrated food on the planet has to be oysters. Like having a mouthful of slimy seawater and anyone who raves about them is following a narrative that they are some sort of luxury. 

Tried lobster for the first time in my 30s, couldn't believe what all the hype was about, a very average taste at best 

Underrated- braised steak. Slowcooked under onions and wine in the oven for hours, bit of mash or new potato. Xx

Cabbage (all kinds) Salad. Stir fry. Roast, steamed, sauteed with bacon.  Healthy. Cheap. Delicious. 

Overrated - Cadbury chocolate. The midway point between decent European recipe chocolates and US waxy sugary commodity. Come at me. 

Under

Potatoes - fallen out of fashion due to trends against carbohydrate consumption, the humble potato is a thing of beauty. Baked with chilli con carne over the top, boiled with salmon fillets and green vegetables, roasted as part of a Sunday lunch - such a great thing to eat.

Overrated: Avocados. Nutritionally fantastic, but slimy shite.

I second the love of beetroot. Nutritionally amazing, adds superb colour and earthy flavour. Makes it look like there's blood in your stool though 😂.

Underrated: Boiled egg in a cup with butter. Boiled eggs generally. Outstanding. 

Overrated is any meat based gluttony. Working at TGI'S you'd get loads of people eating huge burgers or massive mixed grills actively wanting to feel that full and have "the meat sweats". As said above, vegetables are brilliant.

6 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Chips are overrated. I’ve not made chips in over 10 years. As is pork.

Broccoli is underrated. 

Best thing to come out of Fife since the invention of the Thermos flask. 

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Under

Potatoes - fallen out of fashion due to trends against carbohydrate consumption, the humble potato is a thing of beauty. Baked with chilli con carne over the top, boiled with salmon fillets and green vegetables, roasted as part of a Sunday lunch - such a great thing to eat.

Great shout. The sweet potato is the grey squirrel to the common tattie's red, but thon wee tatties are unbelievable. Roasters are still hanging in there in terms of popularity, though, for good reason.