Overrated/Underrated food.

Underrated: cheese on toast*, and liver (the comma is important).

Overrated: Crème brûlée.

*Don't. You all know what I mean.

Edited by Hedgecutter

Not getting the oyster hate. There are thousands of them where I am and cost pennies. Delicious.

Liver is underrated and very nutritious. It amazes me that many folk who are vegetarians for health reasons consume some of the most over processed foods going yet turn their nose up at something like liver which is phenomenally good for you.

Broth is underrated. Making your own stock is such an undervalued skill in the kitchen.

Of the spices, cumin and caraway seeds are underrated.

Mustard is bafflingly underrated, as is actual horseradish, not the sauce.

Georgian food is underrated and, delicious as it can be, British Chinese food is overrated.

IMG_20231223_141218.jpg

44 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Overrated

Anything from Wagamama

Funny you say this. I've never been but heard good things from friends who are - for want of a better phrase, uncultured oafs - so I bought Wagamama Firecracker mayo at the weekend. Its absolutely shite. I mean it, it's terrible. There's no spice, it has the consistency of an undiluted puddle and adds nothing to anything its near.

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Fish wise trout and salmon are well over rated. 

Barely hear of trout getting rated at all, let alone over rated.

That said, trout is a beautiful bit of scran.

Celery on its own is shite yet along with onions and carrots forms mirepoix in French cuisine and sofrito in Italian. both of which form the basis of a huge amount of sauces.

With broccoli, when something looks like that and smells like that then 2 of your senses have already been warned.

Mushrooms are the work of the Devil. They don't take root, grow on damp spots and contain poison.

A simply cooked bit of fish from the cod family, including haddock, hake and even pollock or coley is what you're after and Smokies, slathered in butter and grilled to warm them through, are a delight.

Mince and tatties is overrated. So many tastier uses for both the mince and the tatties.

Also fry ups. I like it once every so often but f**k having it on an even semi-regular basis. Far too greasy. Given the choice it’s a continental 9 times out of 10.

Underrated, the humble potato waffle. The Mrs forgot to get rolls a few weeks ago for breakfast so improvised woth some sort of potato waffle and bacon tower, outstanding scran. 

While we're on potato products, Potato Croquettes are also hugely underrated and always are skipped over when the chat comes round to potato based products.

Overrated would be any of these chicken restaurants frequented by young men in joggy bottoms 

19 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Underrated - Mince. Brilliantly versatile.

Overrated - Bacon, gammon, ham. Basically any pig based thing that isn't pork. Too salty and just nae for me. 

We wouldn't get on. 

13 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Celery is garbage, totally pointless existence.

Nope. It's an essential part of the trio of veg used as a cooking base- celery, carrot & onion. It will be in loads of dishes that you have eaten but is so subtle that you are unaware of it.