Overrated/Underrated food.

Agree about Italian food, although not about the Newman's own. I guess with it being essentially peasant cuisine means that it's hardly rocket science to put together a no bad pasta sauce. 

@D Angelo Barksdale how many more characters do you have left before you move onto another show?

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Overrated, Italian cuisine. I've never had anything from an Italian restaurant that was significantly better than I could make myself with some dried pasta and a jar of Newman's Own

Underrated, Central and Eastern European cuisine. I just love stuff like Goulash and Bigos.

I'd guess a good half of "Italian" restaurant meals in the uk use a similar quality sauce to supermarket stuff with similar emphasis on shelf life rather than taste and will almost certainly use dried pasta. You're definitely going to get at least a good a meal at home as in frankie and bennies or bella pasta or something. Not sure that there's that many restaurants that actually serve up bona fode Italian stuff though. It's mostly a domestic take on it - bolognese and creamy carbonara etc. 

Haven't had goulash in yonks. Good shout. 

Italian food is brilliant but like everything some places do it really bad. Once went to a supposedly “authentic” Italian restaurant with cracking reviews, ordered a carbonara and it arrived with cream and fucking nutmeg in it. Horrified doesn’t begin to cover it.

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Enough time has passed so the shock value had worn off.

Can we address this ice cream on a roll thing. What the fucking fück is that all about?

It's Sicilian

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

It's Sicilian

You're breaking my heart. You're shaking my confidence daily.

Oh Sicilian, I'm down on my knees. I'm begging you please to come home.

Come on home.

On 09/01/2024 at 06:36, jimbaxters said:

The most overrated food on the planet has to be oysters. Like having a mouthful of slimy seawater and anyone who raves about them is following a narrative that they are some sort of luxury. 

L'enfer, c'est les huîtres

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Italian food is brilliant but like everything some places do it really bad. Once went to a supposedly “authentic” Italian restaurant with cracking reviews, ordered a carbonara and it arrived with cream and fucking nutmeg in it. Horrified doesn’t begin to cover it.

This speaks to my point. It's fucking ham and eggs in pasta. Also, Italians are wildly fastidious about the "authenticity" of their food, but I'll bet you there are a few places in Italy that put cream in it. Carbonara just refers to the burnt bacon. Nutmeg is an outstanding addition tbf.

47 minutes ago, velo army said:

This speaks to my point. It's fucking ham and eggs in pasta. Also, Italians are wildly fastidious about the "authenticity" of their food, but I'll bet you there are a few places in Italy that put cream in it. Carbonara just refers to the burnt bacon. Nutmeg is an outstanding addition tbf.

Yet it tastes delicious when done right. Just because it’s simple doesn’t make it bad.

24 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Yet it tastes delicious when done right. Just because it’s simple doesn’t make it bad.

Just to be clear, it's a thread about overrated and underrated, not good and bad. I like Carbonara too, but it's the gatekeeping snobbery of italian food that is the knitting ripper for me.

Cooking an Italian recipe in Scotland will indubitably taste shite because Italy has very tasty ingredients and all our veg is garbage, and because Italians tend to have more experience cooking these things. When your dishes only contain three ingredients they need to be high quality and you need to get the process spot on.

As for mirepoix, the story goes like this:

Louis 14th wanted to pump some bird.

But she was married, so he showered her with gifts via her husband.

This culminated in Louis making her husband Duke of Mirepoix and her living in a castle and rich enough to hire one of the best chefs in France.

Said chef invented/popularised basing dishes on diced celery, carrot and onion.

But his boss (the girl's husband) took the credit and named it after himself.

So every time I cook mirepoix I remember that it exists as such only because Louis was desperate for his hole.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Doubtful in the extreme. 

@DiegoDiego is 100% correct. It's the produce that makes it easy. The concept of a market still exists in Italy i.e. a place where producers can sell and consumers can buy the freshest, best quality ingredients every single day. Supermarkets still exist here but even there the quality is astronomically better than, for example Tesco. 

Authenticity is just another word for sticking to the recipe. Pasta carbonara can't be called carbonara with the addition of cream due to the fact that pasta carbonara doesn't contain cream. That's not snobbery, it's just doing it correctly.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Doubtful in the extreme. 

@DiegoDiego is 100% correct. It's the produce that makes it easy. The concept of a market still exists in Italy i.e. a place where producers can sell and consumers can buy the freshest, best quality ingredients every single day. Supermarkets still exist here but even there the quality is astronomically better than, for example Tesco. 

Authenticity is just another word for sticking to the recipe. Pasta carbonara can't be called carbonara with the addition of cream due to the fact that pasta carbonara doesn't contain cream. That's not snobbery, it's just doing it correctly.

I refuse to believe that our eggs and bacon are any worse than those in Italy. 

You're also speaking to my point about the gatekeeping nonsense of Italian cookery. I love italian cookery, to be fair, and cook a lot of italian stuff at home, but the idea that there is some codified doctrine of what does and does not constitute a carbonara is pretty absurd. 

Carbonara isn't that great to be honest. Puttanesca is the absolute daddy of Italian pasta sauces.

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

I refuse to believe that our eggs and bacon are any worse than those in Italy.

Bacon in Italy is a very different product to bacon in Scotland. Not necessarily better, but culinarily speaking, a different ingredient.

Carbonara is an American recipe anyway.

Underrated: a really good pie (steady Ken). Some of the pies you get at wee clubs are superb.

Overrated: Salted Caramel. I didn't sacrifice my teeth from childhood for some git to start putting salt in places it has no place to be. 

Overrated. Crab, lobster, prawns - basically anything that arrives on my plate in a shell. The effort to return ratio is just not worth it

underrated. A piece of fresh bread with butter. 

as an aside carbonara is my test for how good a restaurant is. Pretty simple but you need to have good ingredients and cook it well. Good carbonara = good restaurant