Nicola

19 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Jedi, i get that this thread is Sandy’s own Gareth Marenghi type dreamfuck but surely you get that Labour in its current guise is nothing other than tory-lite? 

Well, yeah. That'll be why he's having fever dreams of what he's decided to believe that Labour will do in government (but absolutely won't).

I thought this was supposed to be the Natter meltdown thread?

20 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Jedi, i get that this thread is Sandy’s own Gareth Marenghi type dreamfuck but surely you get that Labour in its current guise is nothing other than tory-lite? 

Aye but he's got his thing to stick with. Absolute horseshit but hey ho. 

5 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Tbh politics across the UK is in a sorry state at the moment.

In their current guise the SNP...horrific. The Tories are, well the Tories, and Labour have had a shocking last few weeks, from rowing back on Green Energy, to abstaining on Rwanda, and now not capping bankers bonuses.

It's heading for a 'none of the above' (not including the Lib Dems as they are clearly an irrelevance)

Just takes a quick glance across Social Media Twitter etc to find the usual suspects claiming that 'support for Independence will be soaring now after Nicola's 'magnificent performance' today, and 'Scotland stands with Nicola'

Deary me.

14 hours ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Havent seen any of it yet but heard Aamer Anwar on radio Scotland, he was slating her

Aamer is a good lawyer, really good in fact, but at the end of the day he's representing his clients. 

The Scottish Covid Bereaved I feel desperately sorry for but they do come over as if they are trying to find a hook of blame to hang everything on. And it's never ever going to be as simple as that.   

12 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

Just takes a quick glance across Social Media Twitter etc to find the usual suspects claiming that 'support for Independence will be soaring now after Nicola's 'magnificent performance' today, and 'Scotland stands with Nicola'

Deary me.

The Unionist twitterati were just as bad with their crocodile tears shit.

I genuinely despair.

@Billy Jean King is absolutely correct about this enquiry - it, like it's Scottish counterpart, is not about learning from the mistakes made but about hindsight blaming - it will be a waste of fucking time.

The obsession with WhatsApp messages is also detracting from the actual decisions made - it misses the point.  They are focusing far too much on how decisions were made than the actual decisions themselves.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I genuinely despair.

@Billy Jean King is absolutely correct about this enquiry - it, like it's UK counterpart, is not about learning from the mistakes made but about hindsight blaming - it will be a waste of fucking time.

The obsession with WhatsApp messages is also detracting from the actual decisions made - it misses the point.  They are focusing far too much on how decisions were made than the actual decisions themselves.

This is the UK enquiry just being held in Edinburgh. They will all get the same blame, eventually.

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

This is the UK enquiry just being held in Edinburgh. They will all get the same blame, eventually.

Oops - the point still stands - both enquiries are a waste of time.

UK politicians buck-passing to the devolved governments (and vice versa), and the Labour Party in Scotland and a UK level carping from the sidelines as hindsight experts.

Anyone who thinks lessons will be learned is delusional - this will be 5 years of petty point scoring and passing the blame.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I genuinely despair.

@Billy Jean King is absolutely correct about this enquiry - it, like it's UK counterpart, is not about learning from the mistakes made but about hindsight blaming - it will be a waste of fucking time.

The people that will be blamed already know this is coming and the smarter ones have already left post.  I'm thinking Sturgeon, Swinney, Freeman in Scotland and Hancock, Johnson, Cummings in UK.  I doubt much flak will come Sunak's way as his role was to hand out "free" money which was probably necessary at the time but we're all paying a price for it now.

Leitch and Yousaf in Scotland no doubt will get some flak.  No idea who else it will get pinned on in UK gov.  There must be some other candidates.

Seeing as the vast amount of the blame will go to those that have left post there will be no consequences for them (not that there was ever intended to be consequences arising out of the enquiry) and no lessons learned because the people in post now will be as egotistical as the last lot and think I couldn't possibly be as bad as they were.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

UK politicians buck-passing to the devolved governments (and vice versa), and the Labour Party in Scotland and a UK level carping from the sidelines as hindsight experts.

Anyone who thinks lessons will be learned is delusional - this will be 5 years of petty point scoring and passing the blame.

They are going through the motions to pacify the covid family support groups. 

Anyone who was in charge at the time would have made some sort of mistake, they are on a hiding to nothing.

On 28/01/2024 at 15:41, Jedi2 said:

Here's a thought to give you a shudder as well believe it or not there are actually quite a few Labour supporters who favour Independence

While I understand this might be the case, I can't get my head round why anyone would continue down this road.

Is there anything, even the merest flicker, of either Scottish Labour (no sniggering at the back please) or UK Labour accepting even giving Scotland another say in this?

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

They are going through the motions to pacify the covid family support groups. 

Anyone who was in charge at the time would have made some sort of mistake, they are on a hiding to nothing.

Don't think they've pacified the Scottish one.  Their KC is going in two footed.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Absolutely, too many tangents being created and too many people looking for answers to completely different issues at the other end.

The "victims" groups lead by their lawyer Anwar want to know why they didn't go harder, sooner to save their loved ones who died, the "survivors" groups claim to have been abandoned with long Covid and want to know why. Businesses like the hospitality sector want the polar opposite answers ie why did they go so hard and for so long damaging their livelihoods. Add in petty points scoring, internal party rumblings and a constant indy/ union slant and it becomes obvious it's a huge charade going nowhere at massive expense to the public purse.

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Alister Jack really is a horrible kunt

If nothing else his "revelation" today will hopefully stop Gove, Dross etc trying to claim some sort of moral high ground over WhatsApp messaging. Every single party was doing the exact same thing, there is no moral high ground, they have all been at it.

13 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

If nothing else his "revelation" today will hopefully stop Gove, Dross etc trying to claim some sort of moral high ground over WhatsApp messaging. Every single party was doing the exact same thing, there is no moral high ground, they have all been at it.

That'll be a no then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68165349

"At First Minister's Questions, Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross said Mr Jack was "wrong" to delete his messages but said that was not equivalent to deletions by Scottish ministers.

"He has apologised and he regrets it. Humza Yousaf can't step out the shadow of his disgraced predecessor and say the same," he told MSPs.

He said there was a "massive difference" between the Scottish secretary and Ms Sturgeon, who said she deleted messages in line with government policy."

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

That'll be a no then.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68165349

"At First Minister's Questions, Scottish Tory leader Douglas Ross said Mr Jack was "wrong" to delete his messages but said that was not equivalent to deletions by Scottish ministers.

"He has apologised and he regrets it. Humza Yousaf can't step out the shadow of his disgraced predecessor and say the same," he told MSPs.

He said there was a "massive difference" between the Scottish secretary and Ms Sturgeon, who said she deleted messages in line with government policy."

Surely Jack is worse in that his claim was he is a "luddite" and only did it to "free up space". At least the rest admitted they did it as part of routinely advised practice no matter how wrong that practice seems to have been.  As I said it's descended into a pathetic party political point scoring farce.