Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager - Pantomine Continues - Warnock's Gone

Who will be Aberdeen's latest manager?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably the idea was he'd join Aberdeen in the Summer and NI have until then to get a new manager. Warnock leaving early brought it forward, but he didn't want to leave NI managerless for these games. So he takes them then leaves, and NI have until September to replace him without any games?

He had a release clause in his previous contract with NI, maybe there's a set fee again?

Aberdeen paid McInnes more than £600k a year in wages, it's not beyond them to do that, and Cormack will be desperate enough to spend big on a "sure thing" due to previous failures. Rightly or wrongly he'll view him as that due to previous successes with NI.

Maybe so, but it doesn't really explain anyone having a strong motivation to make this happen.

NI need to hire a new coach when they have a proven one in position. Aberdeen need to pay the release fee (which I'd imagine won't be buttons) and a hefty salary. O'Neill leaves a job that suits him for one at a club that is beneath his recent level and doesn't offer him a serious route to career progression.

And none of the above explains why, if interested, he didn't take it when they appointed Warnock. The timing was perfect for NI, for him, and for Aberdeen. Yet, no deal. Why?

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Presumably the idea was he'd join Aberdeen in the Summer and NI have until then to get a new manager. Warnock leaving early brought it forward, but he didn't want to leave NI managerless for these games. So he takes them then leaves, and NI have until September to replace him without any games?

He had a release clause in his previous contract with NI, maybe there's a set fee again?

Aberdeen paid McInnes more than £600k a year in wages, it's not beyond them to do that, and Cormack will be desperate enough to spend big on a "sure thing" due to previous failures. Rightly or wrongly he'll view him as that due to previous successes with NI.

Thanks for showing you've more comprehension skills than old Vincent.

I didn't say N.I want him off the wage bill. I'm stating they may want him off and are happy for him to leave while they get some amount of compensation. If he chooses to leave for Aberdeen then they likely wouldn't need to make up any difference.

12 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Thanks for showing you've more comprehension skills than old Vincent.

I didn't say N.I want him off the wage bill. I'm stating they may want him off and are happy for him to leave while they get some amount of compensation. If he chooses to leave for Aberdeen then they likely wouldn't need to make up any difference.

I understand that bit fine. But you mentioned him not wanting to leave before the break.

That makes absolutely no sense. The moment Aberdeen hired Warnock was the perfect time for him to leave NI, if that's what he wants. For all parties involved. And even last week would have been a decent time all round. NI have no real games till September. Did your mole give any rationale for why he'd not want to leave before the break?

He's off traveling to Romania and Glasgow for games when he could be working on preparing for Aberdeen's upcoming games or next season? Why? He didn't want to take the job to see NI through two friendlies six months before their next competitive games which will be handled by a new coach anyway? Why?

Seems to me to be the kind of thing someone claiming to be ITK would say without thinking it through. I'm, of course, making this allegation against the person who passed this to you, not your upstanding self.

Edited by VincentGuerin

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I understand that bit fine. But you mentioned him not wanting to leave before the break.

That makes absolutely no sense. The moment Aberdeen hired Warnock was the perfect time for him to leave NI, if that's what he wants. For all parties involved. And even last week would have been a decent time all round. NI have no real games till September. Did your mole give any rationale for why he'd not want to leave before the break?

Seems to me to be the kind of thing someone claiming to be ITK would say without thinking it through. I'm, of course, making this allegation against the person who passed this to you, not your upstanding self.

Compensation, allegedly.

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Compensation, allegedly.

Fair play. I admire your defence of your source.

I think your source is full of it.

MoN may well be the next Aberdeen manager. f**k knows where Aberdeen will end up with this. But the idea he's running about taking a team for absolutely no fucking reason whatsoever, to the benefit of no party involved, and has passed up a perfect time to change job just doesn't stack up.

Even the issue of compensation. NI have had no competitve games since November. They have none till September. It's not in their interests to play hardball over compensation if there's some magical deadline before the Euros or whatever. It's far better for them to get their new man in and get him taking these games, or have that process completed.

None of this makes sense for any party. I'm calling shite.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

MoN may well be the next Aberdeen manager. f**k knows where Aberdeen will end up with this. But the idea he's running about taking a team for absolutely no fucking reason whatsoever, to the benefit of no party involved, and has passed up a perfect time to change job just doesn't stack up.

Why does it have to make sense? Haven't you seen us botching several managerial appointments over the past few years 🤣

4 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Why does it have to make sense? Haven't you seen us botching several managerial appointments over the past few years 🤣

It has to make sense for NI and for MoN.

If you're the head of their FA, you'd rather MoN fucked off early and you had your new coach taking these games this week. I can't imagine they'd be torture to deal with over a deal like that.

If you're MoN, why would you fucking bother going to Romania and Glasgow this week? What's the point? You'd just get on with your new job, or at least preparing for it.

It's not just about Aberdeen. This idea of him wanting to stay in position till the summer suits nobody involved in the deal. After tomorrow night he's got f**k all to do.

Edited by VincentGuerin

2 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It has to make sense for NI and for MoN.

If you're the head of their FA, you'd rather MoN fucked off early and you had your new coach taking these games this week. I can't imagine they'd be torture to deal with over a deal like that.

If you're MoN, why would you fucking bother going to Romania and Glasgow this week? What's the point? You'd just get on with your new job, or at least preparing for it.

It's not just about Aberdeen. This idea of him wanting to stay in position till the summer suits nobody involved in the deal.

I don't disagree.

FWIW I was told O'Neill. The next day there was the text message going around (and posted on this site) regarding what is going on. Most of what I've said comes from that message and putting 2+2 together. All I was ever told from my 'source' was that we wanted O'Neill now and compensation was the stumbling block.

If it's O'Neill then it's a mighty coincidence if it's how it plays out how a message from a couple of weeks ago predicted.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

I don't disagree.

FWIW I was told O'Neill. The next day there was the text message going around (and posted on this site) regarding what is going on. Most of what I've said comes from that message and putting 2+2 together. All I was ever told from my 'source' was that we wanted O'Neill now and compensation was the stumbling block.

If it's O'Neill then it's a mighty coincidence if it's how it plays out how a message from a couple of weeks ago predicted.

It could quite easily be O'Neill with the rest of it just being pub-ITK chat. We have no idea what's going on, and into such a vacuum comes stuff like this. I'd imagine he's being considered.

As ever with fitba rumours, it's worth stepping back and examining the motivations of everyone involved. NI stalling over compensation would be working against their own interests here. MoN staying in the role for now is a waste of his time, and arguably bad for his current group of players.

I personally think your source needs tied in a bag and chucked in a river.

It's going to be Jocky Scott anyway.

Is Jocky still with us?

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Even the issue of compensation. NI have had no competitve games since November. They have none till September. It's not in their interests to play hardball over compensation if there's some magical deadline before the Euros or whatever. It's far better for them to get their new man in and get him taking these games, or have that process completed.

None of this makes sense for any party. I'm calling shite.

I doubt Michael O'Neill or anyone other than a bored Neil Warnock would see taking a relegation threatened Aberdeen as a perfect time to take the job. No-one wants to take a job with the potential for immediate relegation to tarnish their CV unless they are desperate for work. 

Edit: Sir Jocky of Scott is alive and well. 

Edited by Dee Man

Given how unattractive and high-risk a proposition we are at the moment, I'd be fine with O'Neill if that is who we go with. Admittedly might not sate the Twitter desire for an "inspiring name", whatever that means. 

6 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

And none of the above explains why, if interested, he didn't take it when they appointed Warnock. The timing was perfect for NI, for him, and for Aberdeen. Yet, no deal. Why?

Probably because he thinks the current squad is a farce. Would he rather join now, have some bad losses and a 10th place finish as his starting point? Or join in the Summer, build a squad he wants, and start from the very start? 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably because he thinks the current squad is a farce. Would he rather join now, have some bad losses and a 10th place finish as his starting point? Or join in the Summer, build a squad he wants, and start from the very start? 

Because he'd get to know the squad. Same reason Rodgers left Celtic to go and finish the season at Leicester. And our mole gave the reason as compensation, which doesn't fit your point.

Anyway. It might be O'Neill, but I reckon we've got a classic case of the ITK snowball with this one.

After seeing O'Neils press conference today I would be very suprised if it's not him. Can't say it would be the most exciting appointment but if he can come in, steady the ship and get us moving in the right direction I'd be happy enough.