Aberdeen's Next Permanent Manager - Pantomine Continues - Warnock's Gone

Who will be Aberdeen's latest manager?  

308 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

If that is the case, surely they would just go for Leven until the end of the season and communicate that they were in an advanced position with getting a manager for next season? Instead, it seems like they have been interviewing candidates over the last fortnight who are being considered as permanent appointments? 

My best guess is that they’ll announce early this week that the process is ongoing Leven is in charge until further notice.

The shit will really hit the fan if we get a bad result against County and potentially Livvy under Leven, with no permanent manager imminent. 

59 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Sunday Post going with ‘announcement in next 72 hours’  (presumably whilst still telling us the price of a cup of tea in Aberfeldy). This would conveniently be a day after NI’s next match.

Does Hen Broon have his coaching badges?

1 minute ago, bennett said:

Does Hen Broon have his coaching badges?

Hen Broon - wasn’t he an ex-Netherlands midfielder and assistant boss at PSV Eindhoven? Pretty sure he was.

Good appointment IMHO.

32 minutes ago, highland_mechanic said:

So Michael O'Neill looking likely. 

Any of the Norn Iron team anyone would have at Pittodrie?

Is he?

All he said was “he’d be prepared to listen to them”.

There’s also the factor he’s allegedly on up to £600k a year & has 4 years of a contract left. 

9 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is he?

There’s also the factor he’s allegedly on up to £600k a year & has 4 years of a contract left. 

You could play Devil's advocate and look at it the other day. 

Northern Ireland aren't getting the same results as the current crop of talent aren't there and could look to hire someone for a fraction of that salary.

10 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Is he?

And is happily living in Edinburgh with his family.

34 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

And is happily living in Edinburgh with his family.

That’s a good point. I have to say that “ lives in Aberdeen” or “unhappy at living in  ( insert city) or with his family” really limits our choices. 

3 minutes ago, fasda2 said:

That’s a good point. I have to say that “ lives in Aberdeen” or “unhappy at living in  ( insert city) or with his family” really limits our choices. 

Not sure what point you are making. 

The reason that International football manager works for him is that he doesnt have to do the living in a hotel / club house thing that a lot of managers on the club merry go round do.

His missus is from here, he likes that he is based here and doesnt have to drag himself all over the country for jobs that may or may not last more than 6 months.

I dont think that criteria limits your choices much, as many coaches are relaxed about that life.

But I dont think he is (or has been).

Aberdeen, of course, is far closer than some gig in a midlands shithole down south, so may still be attractive?

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

The reason that International football manager works for him is that he doesnt have to do the living in a hotel / club house thing that a lot of managers on the club merry go round do.

His missus is from here, he likes that he is based here and doesnt have to drag himself all over the country for jobs that may or may not last more than 6 months.

I dont think that criteria limits your choices much, as many coaches are relaxed about that life.

Aberdeen, of course, is far closer than some gig in a midlands shithole down south, so may still be attractive?

He really should be dragging himself all over the country to see the players he wants to select.

1 minute ago, DukDukGoose said:

He really should be dragging himself all over the country to see the players he wants to select.

He does - then he flies back to his own home.

Its a good gig he has, tbf.

1 hour ago, fasda2 said:

Unless he’s getting the scotrail train up every morning 

1 hour ago, Leith Green said:

Possibly old-fashioned, but I think a manager should be living in the city (or close by), particularly if they are on a salary of 200k+.  It doesn't given any sense of permanence.

Goodwin was commuting, not the main reason he failed, but it didn't help.

Player-wise we had the Jackie McNamara experience.

19 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

As far as I know, compensation was agreed for O'Neills summer move.

N.I wanted a lot more for him to go now and he didn't want to leave before the break. This then led to going down other avenues, though he's now speaking publicly about possibly taking it.

I'd still be surprised if it's him though.

3 hours ago, DukDukGoose said:

You could play Devil's advocate and look at it the other day. 

Northern Ireland aren't getting the same results as the current crop of talent aren't there and could look to hire someone for a fraction of that salary.

These posts don't really stack up.

Firstly, why on earth would he not leave for a permanent job before this break? NI are six months away from their next competitive game. This is the perfect time to move, and there's no benefit to him in taking them for a couple of friendles. Arguably no benefit to NI either.

Secondly, if NI want him off the wage bill, they'll need to make up the difference to him to go, as long as he doesn't explicitly ask to go. And is getting someone cheaper in not a false economy? That's before we get to the question of why MoN would walk away from a cushy number on £600k unless Aberdeen are going to offer him mad money (on top of the significant compensation to NI), considering anyone taking a club job could well be out of work again in six months.

None of this points towards O'Neill to Aberdeen making sense for him, for NI, or for Aberdeen.

7 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Firstly, why on earth would he not leave for a permanent job before this break? NI are six months away from their next competitive game. This is the perfect time to move, and there's no benefit to him in taking them for a couple of friendles. Arguably no benefit to NI either.

Presumably the idea was he'd join Aberdeen in the Summer and NI have until then to get a new manager. Warnock leaving early brought it forward, but he didn't want to leave NI managerless for these games. So he takes them then leaves, and NI have until September to replace him without any games?

Secondly, if NI want him off the wage bill, they'll need to make up the difference to him to go, as long as he doesn't explicitly ask to go. And is getting someone cheaper in not a false economy? That's before we get to the question of why MoN would walk away from a cushy number on £600k unless Aberdeen are going to offer him mad money (on top of the significant compensation to NI), considering anyone taking a club job could well be out of work again in six months.

He had a release clause in his previous contract with NI, maybe there's a set fee again?

Aberdeen paid McInnes more than £600k a year in wages, it's not beyond them to do that, and Cormack will be desperate enough to spend big on a "sure thing" due to previous failures. Rightly or wrongly he'll view him as that due to previous successes with NI.