what's your Opinion on every spfl club

21 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

So it depends your age on how you determine how big a club are?

I've never understood why this is even a debate.

It's surely obvious that everyone will judge clubs based on their actual experience of them?

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

More recently successful would be my one.

I can’t be bothered going to check the major trophies won but it’s like saying Queens Park are a huge club because they won a number of Scottish Cups back in the day.

Dundee have pretty much been a joke club for my entire period watching Scottish football (1993-now).

Sure, why don't we use the last 10 years?

Oh because Kilmarnock have won absolutely nothing in that time period.

It's all selective to suit narrative.

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Ah the Perth chat with time limits.

So it depends your age on how you determine how big a club are? Gotcha.

"They’ve spent most of the last two decades in the Championship/First Division"

I understand you want to have a pop with it being your big derby week, but stop telling lies min.

I’d say it probably plays a pretty important part in how you view a club, yes. 

How is it a lie? How many seasons out of the last 20 have you spent in the second tier? I’ll wait.

15 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Sure, why don't we use the last 10 years?

Oh because Kilmarnock have won absolutely nothing in that time period.

It's all selective to suit narrative.

That’s fine if you want to say Kilmarnock are a joke team because we’ve won nothing for 10 years to help you cope with Dundee being a joke team then that is ok.

Edited by Sortmeout

26 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I’d say it probably plays a pretty important part in how you view a club, yes. 

How is it a lie? How many seasons out of the last 20 have you spent in the second tier? I’ll wait.

Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I always though @johnnydun was about the 25-40 age range I’m shocked to find out he is almost 70 or however old you need to be to have seen Dundee win something.

Thank you, I will take this as a compliment! 

22 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

I always though @johnnydun was about the 25-40 age range I’m shocked to find out he is almost 70 or however old you need to be to have seen Dundee win something.

Are you saying that you don't recognise Kilmarnock's top league win?

44 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Ah the Perth chat with time limits.

So it depends your age on how you determine how big a club are? Gotcha.

"They’ve spent most of the last two decades in the Championship/First Division"

I understand you want to have a pop with it being your big derby week, but stop telling lies min.

Does your argument that time is irrelevant hold up for every Scottish club though?  Queens Park are the obvious example; Won 10 Scottish cups and had a record crowd of 95,000.  East Fife have won 4 major honours. Clyde have a record attendance of 52,000 and won the Scottish Cup 3 times.

Are they still classed as big clubs?

There’s probably not much between them; Dundee were by far the bigger of the two until the 1980’s, since then it’s been United.  Who knows, if Utd go a sustained period in the second tier and Dundee build on this season and get their new ground, then Dundee could overtake Utd to once again be the second biggest club in Tayside. 

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Are you saying that you don't recognise Kilmarnock's top league win?

I would recognize it but it doesn’t really register with me. Neither do the Scottish Cup wins in the 20s. Luckily for me if this is an argument over who is a bigger club (Kilmarnock or Ayr) then I would I only need to refer back to our most recent success to beat the diddy club tally from down the road.

I thought this discussion was about the size of Dundee compared to Utd.

How old were you when Dundee last won something meaningful? How many trophies have Dundee Utd won in your lifetime since the last time you saw Dundee win a major trophy? 

1 minute ago, Sortmeout said:

I would recognize it but it doesn’t really register with me. Neither do the Scottish Cup wins in the 20s. Luckily for me if this is an argument over who is a bigger club (Kilmarnock or Ayr) then I would I only need to refer back to our most recent success to beat the diddy club tally from down the road.

I thought this discussion was about the size of Dundee compared to Utd.

How old were you when Dundee last won something meaningful? How many trophies have Dundee Utd won in your lifetime since the last time you saw Dundee win a major trophy? 

It was initially to do with comparing success of Dundee and United. Kilmarnock are level with both on that front. But some diddy Morten fan derailed it to 'bigger'.

If I told you I was 115 would you believe me? I'm 43 and, apart from a few Championships, I've never seen Dundee win anything. Although there are others on here like @Eednud and @Wee jeemie who did see the top league win. Just because I didn't witness it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

10 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Not to mention the fact Dundee haven’t averaged over 7k fans since 00/01 (according to transfermarkt). United have done so in 17 seasons since then…

Dundee United have won far more honours recently and played in Europe more often (especially recently). 

Dundee United’s turnover is £8m+. I couldn’t find a figure for Dundee FC. The reason for this is that they qualify as a ‘small company’, whereas United do not - this means that the disclosure requirements for their financial statements are less stringent. Says it all really.

I would be interested to know on which metrics Dundee are ‘bigger’. 

I think part of the charm of Dundee as a football city isn't just that the clubs share a street (alas, that might change) but that they're of similar stature and have been probably since the late 60s.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

It was initially to do with comparing success of Dundee and United. Kilmarnock are level with both on that front. But some diddy Morten fan derailed it to 'bigger'.

If I told you I was 115 would you believe me? I'm 43 and, apart from a few Championships, I've never seen Dundee win anything. Although there are others on here like @Eednud and @Wee jeemie who did see the top league win. Just because I didn't witness it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I’m not saying it didn’t I’m only saying in my time Dundee Utd have been massively successful compared to Dundee in my time as a football fan. I still think of them as a top 6 club even with the last 5 years or so whereas Dundee I do think of as a Championship side (even though I would guess you’ve spent more time in the top flight that out it over the last 10/15 years).

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I’m not saying it didn’t I’m only saying in my time Dundee Utd have been massively successful compared to Dundee in my time as a football fan. I still think of them as a top 6 club even with the last 5 years or so whereas Dundee I do think of as a Championship side (even though I would guess you’ve spent more time in the top flight that out it over the last 10/15 years).

What anyone "thinks" stands for absolutely nothing when it comes to comparing football clubs, particularly when you find out what you "think" bears absolutely no resemblance to reality.

"I still think of Dundee Utd as a top 6 club". For f**k sake. 

Edited by Dee Man