Baltimore Bridge

53 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Anyone been across the Millau in France? I once got the main French engineer boy (Virlogeux) across to Dundee to give a talk on it when it was mid construction. In all fairness he was a bit of a boring c**t.

IMG_1387.jpeg

Aye, my wife absolutely hated it. 

13 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

This is genuinely my biggest fear. I worry every time I drive over a bridge it's going to fall down and I'll get stuck in my car and drown.

Yes. I'm weird.

Roll your window down (and turn up your heating) before accessing the bridge.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Do you use the old road via Beauly to get to Inverness?

Lots of scary bridges where the road goes over the railway line.

I call it "the rollercoaster".

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

By all accounts they got a 2 minute warning from the ship captain and stopped all traffic from from crossing the bridge. That's some effort and well done. Unfortunately 6 workers on the bridge came to their fate.

I'd imagine there were barriers stopping vehicles.

Does the scottish bridges have barriers?

I remember the Forth Road bridge having them.

Motorists warned after Queensferry Crossing barriers trial | Dunfermline Press

11 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

We're about to be inundated with all sorts of batshit-crazy conspiracy theories aren't we :wacko:

Surprised Putin hasn't blamed Ukraine yet.

Talking of batshit,  was it not  the Chinese variety which caused the recent global pandemic ?

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

This is from a YouTube channel I follow. It gives a good account of what happened based on current information.

check out my video about tugging tugs... 

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

This is from a YouTube channel I follow. It gives a good account of what happened based on current information.

Not watched it yet but did the boat crash into the bridge, knocking it down?

16 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Wibble wobble jelly on a plate.

giphy.gif

Like Partridge's table at Apache Communications.

7 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Wonder if the Mothman was spotted in the last few weeks

Made that reference on the X thread yesterday. Noone got the Point Pleasant reference.

7 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

By all accounts they got a 2 minute warning from the ship captain and stopped all traffic from from crossing the bridge. That's some effort and well done. Unfortunately 6 workers on the bridge came to their fate.

I'd imagine there were barriers stopping vehicles.

Does the scottish bridges have barriers?

I remember the Forth Road bridge having them.

Very few U.S. bridges have any form of gates, unless they “open” and are thus impassible when that happens, or are toll. The FSK bridge was a toll bridge, but has converted almost entirely to EZ-pass, so the question would be if they locked the “barriers” down when warned…if the barriers remained. A car could still physically drive through the barriers (they are just light metal or wood), but if they switched them to remain down, that would have saved a number of drivers.

The question of if the barriers are still there is because the modern U.S. toll process is an open roadway with a camera/sensor gantry. They scan each car for a small transponder, and then photograph the rear (and sometimes the front) license plate. Those vehicles without a transponder have their plates run through a database to see if the number is linked to a toll account, and if it isn’t, a paper bill is generated and sent to the registered owner of that license plate (at 150-200% the account rate).

Looking at the overhead imagery, I see gantries and no barriers, so I assume they have electronic message signs that they could use to stop traffic…when people pay attention.

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

MarkVoganWeather.com on X: "SCARY: Truck dangles on the edge of a windswept Friarton  Bridge, Perth, Scotland. #scotstorm #Xaver (Via Daily Mail)  http://t.co/r37YSgXmtL" / X

I can see why.

I remember in France for the 1998 World Cup, driving up to Lyon on the A7 we crossed a bridge and noticed a whole section of the parapet was missing. There were no cones or emergency vehicles around so I assumed it had just happened.

Got hold of a paper the next day and there was a photo of a lorry lying in a river about 100 feet below a motorway bridge. My limited French was not required ☹️

42 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

I remember in France for the 1998 World Cup, driving up to Lyon on the A7 we crossed a bridge and noticed a whole section of the parapet was missing. There were no cones or emergency vehicles around so I assumed it had just happened.

Got hold of a paper the next day and there was a photo of a lorry lying in a river about 100 feet below a motorway bridge. My limited French was not required ☹️

Pity it wasn't the Moroccan team bus.

15 minutes ago, Venti said:

Pity it wasn't the Moroccan team bus.

Funnily enough we passed them on the same motorway the day after the game. Not sure which vehicle's occupants looked more gutted between theirs and ours.

So even if the Moroccans had forfeited the game we were still going home too soon.

Edited by Lurkst

8 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Funnily enough we passed them on the same motorway the day after the game. Not sure which vehicle's occupants looked more gutted between theirs and ours.

So even if the Moroccans had forfeited the game we were still going home too soon.

Nice Del Amitri reference there.