Longest Stretch in Tier 2/3/4

Motherwells top flight run is one of the most impressive, and under rated, achievements in Scottish football IMO.

I do find it a bit odd either Dundee side is put above them in "biggest club" rankings tbh.

8 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Surely Brechin going from the Championship in 2017-18 to the Highland League in 2021-22 will never be beaten? A highly impressive feat.

I'd settle for the Smokies simply matching it TBQHWY

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'd have loved Brechin to back to the SPFL to show that it can be done. Is there any team North of Dundee that you don't have an issue with?

There is no club north, south, east, west or in Dundee that I don't have a grievance against, that's surely how football works.

11 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Aye, I vaguely recall their chairman was trying to get the playoffs scrapped again the season they actually went down too. 

It was worse than that. He wanted a 16 team League Two, with Celtic and Rangers "Colts" in it and allowed to be promoted, and no relegation for 2 years.

38 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There is no club north, south, east, west or in Dundee that I don't have a grievance against, that's surely how football works.

Even Kilmarnock? 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The fact that I have absolutely no grievance against Brechin surely proves that's not how football works.

18 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I know that I'm a boring old fart, but I'll never tire of the statistic that Hearts have never beaten either Rangers team at Hampden since it opened 121 years ago. 

They did beat them in the cup final in 97/8 (?) at Celtic Park, which at the time was very funny.  How many finals (and in recent years, semis) have they contested? Can't be that many, although I agree it's still a good stat.

Edited by VictorOnopko

1 hour ago, VictorOnopko said:

They did beat them in the cup final in 97/8 (?) at Celtic Park, which at the time was very funny.  How many finals (and in recent years, semis) have they contested? Can't be that many, although I agree it's still a good stat.

No idea. 121 years, though.

2 hours ago, VictorOnopko said:

P20     W0 D3 L17     F14 A50

Sat 22 Mar 1930        SC SF     Rangers 4-1 Hearts

Sat 30 Mar 1935        SC SF        Hearts 1-1 Rangers
Wed 10 Apr 1935     SC SF r     Rangers 2-0 Hearts

Sat 10 May 1941     SLC Fin        Hearts 1-1 Rangers
Sat 17 Mar 1941     SLC Fin r     Rangers 4-2 Hearts
Sat 05 Jul 1941        SMC SF       Rangers 4-2 Hearts

Sat 27 Apr 1946     SLC SF     Rangers 2-1 Hearts (aet)

Sat 04 Apr 1953     SC SF     Rangers 2-1 Hearts

Sat 28 Oct 1961         LC Fin     Hearts 1-1 Rangers (aet)
Mon 18 Dec 1961     LC Fin r     Rangers 3-1 Hearts

Sat 01 May 1976     SC Fin     Rangers 3-1 Hearts

Wed 30 Mar 1977     SC SF     Rangers 2-0 Hearts

Wed 21 Sep 1988     LC SF     Rangers 3-0 Hearts

Sat 18 May 1996     SC Fin     Rangers 5-1 Hearts

Tue 04 Feb 2003     LC SF     Rangers 1-0 Hearts

Wed 30 Jan 2008     LC SF     Rangers 2-0 Hearts

Sun 03 Nov 2019     LC SF     Rangers 3-0 Hearts

Sat 21 May 2022     SC Fin     Rangers 2-0 Hearts (aet)

Sun 05 Nov 2023     LC SF     Rangers 3-1 Hearts

Sun 21 Apr 2024     SC SF     Rangers 2-0 Hearts

On 22/04/2024 at 09:29, TheScarf said:

Surely Brechin going from the Championship in 2017-18 to the Highland League in 2021-22 will never be beaten? A highly impressive feat.

In terms of Scottish football, it's a wild fall which is probably unlikely to be replicated barring a team getting into financial difficulty which renders them uncompetitive over numerous seasons.

The case of Paderborn in Germany in the past decade is the most extreme example of the antithesis of this thread:
13/14 - 2nd in 2.Bundesliga, promoted
14/15 - 18th in Bundesliga, relegated
15/16 - 18th in 2.Bundesliga, relegated
16/17 - 18th in 3.Liga - should have been relegated but saved on a technicality because 1860 Munich lost their license and were demoted
17/18 - 2nd in 3.Liga, promoted
18/19 - 2nd in 2.Bundesliga, promoted
19/20 - 18th in Bundesliga, relegated

So not only a mad fall from grace between 13/14 and 16/17, but then back to back promotions to follow it (and then another relegation). They've finally calmed the f**k down and settled in the 2nd tier for the last 4 seasons.

In terms of numbers of consecutive relegations, below the SPFL, Vale of Leithen are about to suffer their third relegation in three years, matching Brechin's record. In that time they've won 3, drawn 2 and lost 78, conceding 396 goals. Still got 9 games left this season but they've lost every match so far.

They'd been circling the drain in the LL for a while, saved by Covid and before that by Selkirk going bust and the LL choosing not to relegate anyone. They've won 5 league games in 5 years.

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In terms of numbers of consecutive relegations, below the SPFL, Vale of Leithen are about to suffer their third relegation in three years, matching Brechin's record. In that time they've won 3, drawn 2 and lost 78, conceding 396 goals. Still got 9 games left this season but they've lost every match so far.

They'd been circling the drain in the LL for a while, saved by Covid and before that by Selkirk going bust and the LL choosing not to relegate anyone. They've won 5 league games in 5 years.

Huge fan of Leithen's motto: Keep Faith, Keep Working, Keep Winning

On 21/04/2024 at 14:41, Coventry Saint said:

It's not exactly the same as what you're asking, but Dundee FC haven't won the Scottish Cup since 1910 (Nineteen-Ten). That's an astonishing 114 years.

So they've equalled Hibs' record then? 

How fitting :D 

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

In 1996 Dumbarton were 10th in tier two, 1997 9th in tier three and in 1998 10th in the bottom tier

Brechin's demise after their season in the Championship is mental.

Spending over a decade consecutively in the 3rd tier, as a relatively competitive side (some good seasons, some bad), then having a completely unexpected promotion to the 2nd tier - for the first time in around 15 years - leading to an embarrassingly bad season with no wins, which is in turn a catalyst for a crazy freefall through the leagues and out of the top 42.

Football eh?

Both of us came into the Championship the same season, we won League One and they won the play offs, we got promoted to the Premiership the following season through the play offs and they were relegated back to League One, then onto a downward spiral towards the trapdoor. I mention this because we beat them up there to go 13pts ahead of Alloa with 5 games to go, and one of their fans shouted enjoy promotion you'll be straight back down the following season. Football banter, you canny whack it.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

56 minutes ago, AUcal said:

Brechin's demise after their season in the Championship is mental.

Spending over a decade consecutively in the 3rd tier, as a relatively competitive side (some good seasons, some bad), then having a completely unexpected promotion to the 2nd tier - for the first time in around 15 years - leading to an embarrassingly bad season with no wins, which is in turn a catalyst for a crazy freefall through the leagues and out of the top 42.

Football eh?

At the start of that season, we played Brechin and won late on to go top. I wouldn't have said they'd have ended up without a win and on 4 points at the end of the season after that game - it was a tough battle. 

Towards the end, they went 8 games without scoring which was pretty brutal. 

21 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwells top flight run is one of the most impressive, and under rated, achievements in Scottish football IMO.

I do find it a bit odd either Dundee side is put above them in "biggest club" rankings tbh.

Were they not saved by the 10,000 seater rule at one point?

Or something similar?

Did they cleverly go into administration at a time when there were no points deductions either?

That IS impressive!