General Election 2024

6 hours ago, JS_FFC said:

At least the other woman had the guts to admit Brexit has been a mistake

She did, but only after moaning extensively about "things they didn't warn us about" by listing a whole load of things that people warned them about, constantly.

Oh dear the blessed Blair is getting rolled out 

Blair started the 8am phone scramble ,of course you would get an appointment within 48hrs but only if you got through and of course he nationalised all the under performing rail companies back then

..eh no

I agree things were better but that's just because that he became pm before Brown/Cameron  etc ...it's just been a long slow decline since thatcher basically sold off everything and nothing will change with Sir Wetfart as Pm 

41 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Oh dear the blessed Blair is getting rolled out 

Blair started the 8am phone scramble ,of course you would get an appointment within 48hrs but only if you got through 

Before that you wouldn't have got through and wouldn't have gotten an appointment either. If there's one objective fact about the Blair administration's performance, it is that the NHS delivery for patients was significantly improved under their watch. 

Whether they got sufficient value for that huge investment is another question. Although ironically the most high profile failure of reform was the collapse of giant IT projects to join up the NHS and move beyond the archaic systems that persist to some degree today.

There'll be no similar revitalisation of health care under any party elected now, unless someone can turn all the river sewage into gold bars. 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Have they said these things are going to change 

I've seen no policy whatsoever 

Also, tbh, that's more about the structural decline of the UK from then till now, which will continue 

Apart from Rail Nationalisation, VAT on Private Schools to fund more teachers, Windfall Tax on excessive energy profits, to fund a publically owned Energy Company, closing non-dom tax avoidance loopholes, opening up planning legislation on brownfield sites to reinvigorate affordable houses, scrapping Rwanda scheme for a more sensible Border Patrol, a National Wealth Fund to provide money for SMB's, reducing energy bills with the Publically Owned Energy Company, only borrowing to invest in public services and not chase tax cuts, tackling violence against women and girls, expanding Devolution, having a Charter of Workers Rights......

Other than that, yes it's policy light and 'just the same as the Tories'

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Apart from Rail Nationalisation, VAT on Private Schools to fund more teachers, Windfall Tax on excessive energy profits, to fund a publically owned Energy Company, closing non-dom tax avoidance loopholes, opening up planning legislation on brownfield sites to reinvigorate affordable houses, scrapping Rwanda scheme for a more sensible Border Patrol, a National Wealth Fund to provide money for SMB's, reducing energy bills with the Publically Owned Energy Company, only borrowing to invest in public services and not chase tax cuts, tackling violence against women and girls, expanding Devolution, having a Charter of Workers Rights......

Other than that, yes it's policy light and 'just the same as the Tories'

For the sake of family still living in Scotland I hope things really improve under Labour.  I really don’t see it happening.

Any benefits will be marginal and in areas such as health, social care, education, housing, alleviation of poverty and criminal justice I doubt there will any significant change.  In some areas things will deteriorate even further.

Oh and before you make the point that many of these issues are devolved the reason the problems have increased in Scotland is a dependency on U.K. funding that has not kept pace with the problems.

Edited by Granny Danger

Just Theresa May, the woman who sat on her hands paralysed by fear of the ERG deposing her, while the UK slid towards the worst Brexit outcome conceivable, showing about as big a brass neck and lack of self-awareness at it would be possible for a human to do.

No idea why she gets a free ride in the "biggest tory c**t" stakes. Every bit as fucking hopeless, venal, and self-serving as what came after her. Good fucking riddance.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

For the sake of family still living in Scotland I hope things really improve under Labour.  I really don’t see it happening.

Any benefits will be marginal and in areas such as health, social care, education, housing, alleviation of poverty and criminal justice I doubt there will any significant change.  In some areas things will deteriorate even further.

Oh and before you make the point that many of these issues are devolved the reason the problems have increased in Scotland is a dependency on U.K. funding that has not kept pace with the problems.

Barnett Formula funding has averaged £41 billion per year for the past few years. Also, as agreed in August:

'Holyrood’s capital borrowing powers will rise in line with inflation, enabling the Scottish Government to invest further in schools, hospitals, roads and other key infrastructure that will help to create better paid jobs and opportunity in Scotland.

The new deal maintains the Barnett formula, through which the Scottish Government receives over £8 billion more funding each year than if it received the levels of UK Government spending per person elsewhere in the UK. It also updates funding arrangements in relation to court revenues and the Crown Estate'

(UK govt website)

Yes, they have to 'balance the books' at the end of each fiscal year, but extra borrowing powers in line with inflation, keeping every penny of tax raised in Scotland, and bringing in on average..£41 billion from Barnett?

Any Labour govt will only borrow to invest in public services. (So more spend on  Education, Health, Social Care etc thanthe Tories).That borrowing has a knock on positive effect on money available in Scotland.  Its entirely up to the SNP (at present) how they allocate these funds (in addition to their own taxation).

Edited by Jedi2

27 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just Theresa May, the woman who sat on her hands paralysed by fear of the ERG deposing her, while the UK slid towards the worst Brexit outcome conceivable, showing about as big a brass neck and lack of self-awareness at it would be possible for a human to do.

No idea why she gets a free ride in the "biggest tory c**t" stakes. Every bit as fucking hopeless, venal, and self-serving as what came after her. Good fucking riddance.

Some of them are big on this. Duncan Smith had a good whine about the government punishing the unfortunate after famously spending his time in government working out how punish the unfortunate.

I think it's supposed to be part of narcissistic behaviour - spending your time being a c**t, then acting as though you're somehow the victim. Sounds about right.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Some of them are big on this. Duncan Smith had a good whine about the government punishing the unfortunate after famously spending his time in government working out how punish the unfortunate.

I think it's supposed to be part of narcissistic behaviour - spending your time being a c**t, then acting as though you're somehow the victim. Sounds about right.

Definitely an element of that. I think it's also a bit about trying to whitewash your own reputation. I was astonished to see Ian Blackford walk up to May and give her what appeared to be a genuinely warm, meaningful hug. Mind Blackford was hauled over the coals several times by Bercow, including being punted, and at least one of those was for standing up and calling lying cow Theresa May a lying cow, so I think there is more truth than a lot of people realise to the talk that despite the enmity and shrieking and bawling in the chamber, for the most part it's quite jovial and chums behind the scenes, and most MP's quite happily consort with the enemy.

Part of me thinks it would be much better if they had to get in dozens of XL bullies with elastic bands roond their willies just to stop MP's from tearing each other apart on sight. It would be nice tuning into the evening news to find out who booted f**k out of who, which Tory Stewart Hosie lamped in the puss that day, etc etc

12 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

Barnett Formula funding has averaged £41 per year for the past few years. 

A whole £41. Wow.

Context free pish. Who exactly gets this massive amount? Is the £41 each, or shared between 5 million citizens?

17 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

"Holyrood’s capital borrowing powers will rise in line with inflation, enabling the Scottish Government to invest further in schools, hospitals, roads and other key infrastructure that will help to create better paid jobs and opportunity in Scotland.

Imagine what the Scottish Government could do if they controlled their own borrowing powers, instead of having limits set elsewhere

25 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

.The new deal maintains the Barnett formula, through which the Scottish Government receives over £8 billion more funding each year than if it received the levels of UK Government spending per person elsewhere in the UK.

Where exactly is "elsewhere" in the UK? Whilst the 'per person' spending in Scotland is higher than the average, is is still lower than the 'per person' spending in London. 

Here ate the most recent figures I can find https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04033/SN04033.pdf

Screenshot2024-05-2423_46_44.png.35b4874cc7397b855cc21cd5f6187998.png

48 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

(UK govt website)

Why are you quoting Tory press releases, Jedi?  I thought you were a Labour supporter?

Your "elsewhere in the UK" quote above is from John Glen, a tory minister, and is contained in this press release

http://www.govwire.co.uk/news/hm-treasury/press-release-deal-struck-on-a-renewed-fiscal-framework-for-the-scottish-government-58523

It's not anywhere on the .gov.uk websire as far as I can see

You might as well have said "Vote Tory" instead of trying to use Tory press releases & lies to try to promote your agenda.

Pathetic context free pish, tory lies & tory press releases? That's the labour vision for a prosperous UK? Excuse me if I continue to vote for an independent Scotland.

1 minute ago, Boo Khaki said:

Definitely an element of that. I think it's also a bit about trying to whitewash your own reputation. I was astonished to see Ian Blackford walk up to May and give her what appeared to be a genuinely warm, meaningful hug. Mind Blackford was hauled over the coals several times by Bercow, including being punted, and at least one of those was for standing up and calling lying cow Theresa May a lying cow, so I think there is more truth than a lot of people realise to the talk that despite the enmity and shrieking and bawling in the chamber, for the most part it's quite jovial and chums behind the scenes, and most MP's quite happily consort with the enemy.

Part of me thinks it would be much better if they had to get in dozens of XL bullies with elastic bands roond their willies just to stop MP's from tearing each other apart on sight. It would be nice tuning into the evening news to find out who booted f**k out of who, which Tory Stewart Hosie lamped in the puss that day, etc etc

Aye, most of them are big pals when the cameras are off. It's just a game; an extension of the debate clubs they joined at uni. There won't be many who have genuine deeply-held beliefs and morals. If you actually believe that some of these c***s are killing people with their policies, or are screwing over future generations for some extra cash by ignoring climate change, how could you bear being near them?

It's entertaining to imagine a bunch of spoilers being voted in to throw jobbies at them and refuse to meet for nice friendly drinks afterwards, but that's how you end up with Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Posted (edited)

And...here it is:

Asked if he would stick to Humza Yousaf’s pledge to put independence “page one, line one” in the SNPs’s manifesto, Mr Swinney said: “Yes.”

(STV News Interview)

So, defacto Ref, ie Referendum 2 is a go, in just a few weeks where either;

SNP win most seats and start negotiations 

Or 

SNP don't win the most seats and that's it for the time being (can't just roll it forward to the next Holyrood election)

Edited by Jedi2

11 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

And...here it is:

Asked if he would stick to Humza Yousaf’s pledge to put independence “page one, line one” in the SNPs’s manifesto, Mr Swinney said: “Yes.”

(STV News Interview)

So, defacto Ref, ie Referendum 2 is a go, in just a few weeks where either;

SNP win most seats and start negotiations 

Or 

SNP don't win the most seats and that's it for the time being (can't just roll it forward to the next Holyrood election)

Well since the actual question asked makes no mention of "Defacto" anything, would it not make a bit more sense to wait and see what that actual line in the manifesto says before jumping to conclusions?

30 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

And...here it is:

(STV News Interview)

Thanks Jedi. You know I love any opportuniry to post this 1910 Labour Policy

r/PropagandaPosters - MOUC.s THE HOUSE OF LORDS LABOUR CLEARS THE WAY SHISHD POOR

Is it really going to happen this time?

16 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

Sunak really hasn't thought this through fully, has he.

It does make you wonder what they think is going to happen between now and the 4th of July. Considering they're obviously unprepared, what's the benefit to throwing a snap election at an unusual time? Even if you ascribe to the theory that the top Conservatives will be fairly relieved to lose this election, I'm not sure how this even helps with that aim - they're losing regardless, and likely quite badly.

Is there some catastrophic economic news coming before the end of the year that they want to be well clear of?

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

It does make you wonder what they think is going to happen between now and the 4th of July. Considering they're obviously unprepared, what's the benefit to throwing a snap election at an unusual time? Even if you ascribe to the theory that the top Conservatives will be fairly relieved to lose this election, I'm not sure how this even helps with that aim - they're losing regardless, and likely quite badly.

Is there some catastrophic economic news coming before the end of the year that they want to be well clear of?

I reckon Sunak thinks England are going to win the Euros and they’ll be reelected on the back of some English wave of nationalist joy. 

14 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I reckon Sunak thinks England are going to win the Euros and they’ll be reelected on the back of some English wave of nationalist joy. 

4th July? His advisors must reckon they are good for the QFs (5th July) but that’s about as much as can be guaranteed.