Just How Bad Could It Get ?

Slight tangent, but am I misremembering, or was there a drawing of lots/tossing of coin at a World Cup a lot more recently than you'd imagine?  Possibly involving South Korea (although I might be conflating that with them going through on fair play)

9 minutes ago, forameus said:

Slight tangent, but am I misremembering, or was there a drawing of lots/tossing of coin at a World Cup a lot more recently than you'd imagine?  Possibly involving South Korea (although I might be conflating that with them going through on fair play)

2018 World Cup Japan went through ahead of Senegal on Fair Play record

1990 Ireland and Holland both went through but had to draw lots to determine who finished 2nd / 3rd in the group (Ireland got 2nd)

Edited by Fuctifano

5 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

1990 Ireland and Holland both went through but had to draw lots to determine who finished 2nd / 3rd in the group (Ireland got 2nd)

Which meant Ireland got Romania, who they beat on penalties with Packie Bonner the hero, and the Netherlands got West Germany, who beat them in a rammy in Milan.

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not quite.

The Uruguay goal was a kick in the stones, but I don't think it came at the end of a sequence of loads of other things falling into place.

Our record was also identical to Austria's, so we'd have would up drawing lots if it had come to it.

You're right, I must be misremembering the discussion about what could happen if we lost to Brazil before the final round of games.

At least we've never been eliminated due to drawing of lots, I suppose. And I still hate Uruguay.

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

If you were actively trying to almost qualify, we'd have struggled to do it better.

IIRC, after the defeat to Brazil in 1990, we needed five or six other results to go our way to qualify as one of the best third place sides. They all did, and we were heading through in injury time at the end of Uruguay v South Korea, before Uruguay scored and put us out of the second tournament in a row. b*****ds.

Scotland - world class edgelords

On 06/06/2024 at 21:21, Gordopolis said:

The latter. It was me who clubbed you round the ear, ya wee shite! 😂

Edit: it does seem to have been a few posters' first games tho. You, me, @Lex @TheScarf @SlayerX

(Sorry if I've got any of those wrong)

Any others?

Mine too, plus a few mates my age from different parts of Scotland. We all seem to have been there through school or supporters' club trips.

Leighton's performance was definitely the talk after the game - it's the Blomqvist save I remember.

Andy Robertson put it well. The worst it can get is that this Scotland team join the list of previous Scotland teams to not make it out of the group and that's it.

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

Andy Robertson put it well. The worst it can get is that this Scotland team join the list of previous Scotland teams to not make it out of the group and that's it.

Plus micropenises and rampant shits

40 minutes ago, allyo said:

A couple of generations of Scottish footballers are looking on today wishing it could have been them. Something to be enjoyed.

I include myself in this bracket. Granted, I haven’t played competitive football since I was 14 but my point stands. It could have been me.

1 hour ago, shizzlemanizzle said:

I include myself in this bracket. Granted, I haven’t played competitive football since I was 14 but my point stands. It could have been me.

I'm 41 and I'm not yet unavailable for selection. I choose to believe that Clarke has scouts at Goals in Aberdeen.

3 minutes ago, velo army said:

I'm 41 and I'm not yet unavailable for selection. I choose to believe that Clarke has scouts at Goals in Aberdeen.

Oh there are definitely scouts at goals in Aberdeen. They’re working on their fitness badge.

Like Craig Gordon, I don't believe in international retirement. I'm 63, was always rubbish, but if Stevie Clarke picks me, I'll give my last breath for the national team.

Phone's quiet, but.

7 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

Like Craig Gordon, I don't believe in international retirement. I'm 63, was always rubbish, but if Stevie Clarke picks me, I'll give my last breath for the national team.

Phone's quiet, but.

At 63 it could be your hearing has gone. Just randomly pick up your phone because you just never know.