Scottish Cup 2024/25

30 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hill of Beath v Cowdenbeath would be fantastic. Wonder if the BBC would cover it - not sure if floodlights are bright enough?

Their lights are 273 lux average according to PP - and the point of the minimum 200 licence requirement being brought in was so that all clubs could be on TV.

Also the first highlights are coming in - including this heads gone from a Cupar player to get himself sent off.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hill of Beath v Cowdenbeath would be fantastic. Wonder if the BBC would cover it - not sure if floodlights are bright enough?

Probably as good as the King's Park floodlights to be fair. I was trying to take some photos and had to put the camera onto the special setting for near darkness. 

Musselburgh v Caledonian Braves

Sauchie v Buckie 

Fraserburgh v Turrif

Spartans v Cowdenbeath

Forfar Athletic v Berwick

Keith v Clydebank

Peterhead v Lochee United

Elgin City v Clyde

Irvine Meadow v Civil Service

Inverurie v North End

Hill of Beath v Bo'ness United 

Brechin v Huntly

Jeanfield v Edinburgh 

Stirling Albion v Bo'ness Athletic 

Auchinleck v Broxburn

Lithgae v Clachnacuddin 

East Fife v Banks o'Dee 

Threave Rovers v Stranraer 

East Kilbride v Bonnyrigg Rose 

Brora v Formartine United

Threave v Stranraer stands out. EK v Bonnyrigg is probably the tele game

Not the best draw unfortunately, lots of boring same-league ties.

Only Forfar-Berwick, Threave-Stranraer, Inverurie-North End and Peterhead v Lochee really stood out. Hill O'Beath v Bo'ness United will also be tasty I think.

Bonnyrigg get the opportunity to revive an old LL rivalry with Chicken Man's All Stars. That's about it.

E2A: East Fife get the chance of revenge over Banks O'Dee having been humiliated there in the cup a few years back.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Threave's player-manager, the amusingly named Dunglinson, looks like the manager of a chain of tanning shops, crossed with a badly designed novelty candle.

0__NZ98898.webp.f6e960645aae4341c68eec2ac1da654d.webp

Looks like he could be youtuber Mat Armstrong's brother

7c317a665077b0fc65fefcbf90c9a95f_XL.jpg.deecafa5164aa2d35268d70aa5264cea.jpg

3 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Threave's player-manager, the amusingly named Dunglinson, looks like the manager of a chain of tanning shops, crossed with a badly designed novelty candle.

0__NZ98898.webp.f6e960645aae4341c68eec2ac1da654d.webp

The top half looks like a young Mark Hateley.

The bottom half looks like an old chimpanzees erse.

Locos v North End would be my pick. Locos are going well in the Highland League this season, North End are Midlands League champions and scudded Tranent in the last round (though by 21 fewer goals than their win over Whitehills the week before).

Threave Rovers v Stranraer has a certain "local" appeal but it's hardly a derby, Motherwell and Raith Rovers are closer together than these two, and it's surely going to be one-sided anyway.

Stirling Albion must have too much for Bo'ness Athletic, but a shock isn't impossible here.

And from a strictly footballing point of view, it's surely EK v Bonnyrigg.

Edited by GordonS

Not many obvious central belt games for them to show. I’d go with Inverurie vs North End but Jeanfield-Edinburgh would be good too. I suspect it’s probably EK-Bonnyrigg that’s making the TV and we’ll have a cringey documentary on Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry beforehand. 

As a The Caley fan, entering the next round, I’m hopeful for a ground I’ve not been to and it looks like there will be quite a few of those guaranteed in the next round.

4 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Not many obvious central belt games for them to show. I’d go with Inverurie vs North End but Jeanfield-Edinburgh would be good too. I suspect it’s probably EK-Bonnyrigg that’s making the TV and we’ll have a cringey documentary on Mick Kennedy and Si Ferry beforehand. 

As a The Caley fan, entering the next round, I’m hopeful for a ground I’ve not been to and it looks like there will be quite a few of those guaranteed in the next round.

That was my thought too. PLEASE do not let that pair anywhere near the telly. 

Since the BBC started showing a match from the early rounds, no team from the Highlands, Moray or Aberdeenshire has had a home tie selected for live broadcast.

Including Friday’s clash between Dalkeith Thistle and Broxburn Athletic, the BBC have shown 15 ties from round one, two and three since 2019.

The only time the broadcaster has ventured north of Perth was to cover Brechin City v Darvel in round three in November 2021.

Even away from home, clubs from the north have featured just twice in early round ties that have been shown live – Bonnyrigg Rose v Buckie in October 2019 and Clydebank v Elgin City in October 2021.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/6591761/broadcasters-have-missed-a-trick-in-ignoring-the-highland-league/#cxrecs_s

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Pollok v Huntly was also going to be shown but the Queen died. 

I guess the problem is finding an interesting enough game north of the Tay that outweighs all of downsides. None of the ones below are hugely exciting? Maybe once a lot of the easier central belt picks have been exhausted in the coming years they'll eventually have to go north. 

• Brora Rangers – Formartine United
  • Elgin City – Clyde
  • Forfar Athletic – Berwick Rangers
  • Fraserburgh – Turriff United
  • Inverurie Loco Works – Dundee North End
  • Keith – Clydebank
  • Peterhead – Lochee United
Edited by Ginaro

I think there's a chance they might go for Linlithgow Rose v Clachnacuddin, from seeing the brief highlights of Rose v Lossie I don't think it'll be a whitewash, Clach are much improved and have a fair bit of history to discuss. I'll be there anyway so I'd prefer they don't pick it for Friday evening.