Raith Rovers v falkirk

Airdrie - Murray in charge and we were poor.

Partick - we won and that's about it. Performance wasn't anything to write home about. 

Ayr - could argue the sending off resulting in a penalty just before half time f**ked us however Ayr were knocking on the door before the sending off/penalty.

Livi - much better performance but a last minute goal f**ked us.

Ayr (diddy cup) - wasn't there. First half I believe we played well. Capitulated big time 2nd half. Diddy cup but concerning collapse none the less.

Dunfermline - sending off didn't help, probably f**ked us, however even prior to that we didn't look any great shakes. Hard to tell if we'd have pulled our finger out if we hadn't went down to 10 men. 

Hamilton - probably our best performance of the season. One way traffic for the bulk of the game, some good goals...but alas a last minute goal f**ked us. 

There's a pattern. Lots of things have f**ked us thus far, either the inability to keep 11 men on the pitch, conceding stupid penalties, last minute goals or not seeing out games. From what I've seen of Falkirk (pretty much games that have been on the TV) they look a helluva lot better than us. Saturday though is the kind of stupid game we are expected to lose that we end up winning (fingers crossed). Heart though say we'll either get humped or concede a daft last minute goal, probably via a penalty...and a player sent off. 

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

I’m not sure it’s as simple as that. I remember when we lost to Celtic under mcglynn in 2022 we used the performance as a bit of a motivator which led to a 15 game unbeaten run. You’ve not lost in 44 games or something, I just can’t see that changing, especially when we can’t even see out a win against a dreadful Hamilton side.

The way the bookies have priced up this game tells you all you need to know about our respective chances.

43 (at time of recording)

On 24/09/2024 at 08:25, Double Jack D said:

As great a season as it was for Falkirk last season, I much preferred ours

Yeah, those scenes when you beat Thistle on penalties to book an absolute humping by Ross County over two legs will live long in the memory ...😂

I hadn't really thought about Raith, but it has occurred to me that Dunfermline and Airdrie fans lorded it over us last season after getting promoted at our expense, but no Falkirk fan would have swapped places with them then, and certainly not now.

Looking at your numbers, though, only 56 goals over the season compared to our 96, and bottling the last seven or eight games to lose the title by six points (I had backed Raith to win it before you won at Tannadice in November/December time - same day we won at Hamilton - and I thought you were going to do it, but you blew it big-time). I also saw some of your games on TV and wasn't impressed, so I'm going with our season was definitely better ...

21 hours ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

At the risk of bringing up crowd size with Falkirk fans I was expecting 2k+ of a travelling support. Early days still so might be around that. 

Dunfermline last time at Starks was honking 1300 or so iirc. We had done them dry several times by that point TBF.

Partick are usually good for a 1000 on a Saturday afternoon so just thought Falkirks first time in Kirkcaldy for a while and current form would see big numbers.

As has been pointed out, it's Falkirk's fifth away game in a row. What hasn't been pointed out is that you're charging £24 - robbing b'stards - and some Bairns might just have decided not to give you any money after you were voted champions* at our expense a few years back. I'll be there, because I said I was going and my mate booked our tickets before I realised how much you are charging - but also because the Bairns have been an absolute treat to watch for more than a season now

7 hours ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Would happily take a draw here.

Despite their sluggish start and injury problems Raith undoubtedly have one of the strongest squads in the league. This game will be up there with our toughest tests this season - along with the away trips to Partick, Ayr & Livingston 

Team who are flying, full of confidence and joint-top on goal difference, with two games in hand, against a team who are lacking confidence and joint-bottom on goal difference. Why take a draw, happily or otherwise? The players will be looking to win, and so should our fans be on all known form.

6 hours ago, Raithie said:

From what I've seen of Falkirk (pretty much games that have been on the TV) they look a helluva lot better than us

Likewise, from what I've seen of Raith - tail end of last season and parts of your game at Dunfermline a few weeks back - we are a helluva lot better than you. Players still have to do it, obviously, but this squad just keep putting on superb performances

7 hours ago, Enigma said:

I’m really not getting the weariness of this fixture in the eyes of Falkirk fans, we do have a decent squad but we have zero confidence. Vaughan and Stanton will be out, Brown and Fordyce, if they do feature, will be making their first appearances in weeks. You went toe to toe with Celtic last weekend, we conspired to draw with a rank rotten Hamilton side. If you’re on top form, which you have been, you should be blowing us away.

Agreed. The only slight concern I have is that we are running out of players and that the players we still have run out of steam as a result. I felt the biggest problem at Celtic on Sunday was not that they brought on four players worth £20million or whatever, but the fact that we didn't have four players to bring on. With Morrison, Lang, and Nesbitt injured - and more so with Shanley suspended on Sunday - the same guys have had to play more than they would otherwise, which is harder given the way we play. We could all see some of our players were dead on their feet after an hour or so, but there were not a lot of options on the bench. They've had a chance to rest so hopefully it won't be a problem this weekend, but I hope we have more players available for the following week, whether that's players fit again or more likely a couple of loan signings, when we have Ayr and Livi at home and then Thistle away. Either way, the next four games could well shape our entire season, especially if we can win them all - and I'd be confident of doing so if we had everybody fit

16 minutes ago, da_no_1 said:

Absolute f**king nonsense 

At the time you got promoted and we stayed down, sure, you could say this. But it's not entirely ridiculous; you got promoted with a season of McPakeball which even the most ardent of Pars fans would admit was, at best, 'efficient', and at worst, pretty brutal to watch. We stayed down, completed the second phase of the transition McGlynn had started in his first year, went invincible while playing entertaining, attacking football and blew away every team in the division. We've now come up and are in a better state than you both on and off the park. Not really nonsense at all.

Edited by 18BAIRN76

21 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

At the time you got promoted and we stayed down, sure, you could say this. But it's not entirely ridiculous; you got promoted with a season of McPakeball which even the most ardent of Pars fans would admit was, at best, 'efficient', and at worst, pretty brutal to watch. We stayed down, completed the second phase of the transition McGlynn had started in his first year, went invincible while playing entertaining, attacking football and blew away every team in the division. We've now come up and are in a better state than you both on and off the park. Not really nonsense at all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but to say you lot were utterly content to stay in League 1 again after we romped to the title and Airdrie swatted you aside with ease because it was part of some grand plan is frankly hilarious. 

Edited by da_no_1

On 22/09/2024 at 13:17, stevoraith said:

Not talking shite- a Falkirk supporting mate agrees with your opinion but most Raith fans won't have seen him play this season so we're basing our opinions on when he was playing for Kilmarnock and Arbroath.... and on those performances he wouldn't get near our side.

Of course we reserve the right to change that opinion after Saturday as it does sound like he has been excellent since moving to Falkirk.

Not sure if I'm looking forward to this game or not- looking forward to a decent crowd with a good atmosphere, and have a bit of confidence from how well we played for most of the game yesterday.  But mentally we are soft as shite, we still have key players out (with Vaughan now added to that list) and Falkirk are an excellent side which gives me the absolute fear.

I'm also conflicted on McGlynn.  Easily our best manager since Nicholl, undoubtedly saved the club twice, but also very nearly killed it.  I think I'll sit on my hands when he comes out.

You are talking shite. It is irrelevant what he did at Raith when he was 17. The here and now is all that matters. He has been the best player in the Championship so far but you would rather have Byrne, Mullen, Brown etc before him. 😂 Next you will be telling me Barrowman knows what he is doing. 

Wonder what we will wear strip wise given our away strip has navy shorts and socks. We might see our red away top with the home white shorts and red socks. Would have been an ideal time to introduce a third strip or do Raith wear their away strip which we’ve done at home in the past.

57 minutes ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Wonder what we will wear strip wise given our away strip has navy shorts and socks. We might see our red away top with the home white shorts and red socks. Would have been an ideal time to introduce a third strip or do Raith wear their away strip which we’ve done at home in the past.

Their away is yellow? Suits them

11 hours ago, choirbairn said:

As has been pointed out, it's Falkirk's fifth away game in a row. What hasn't been pointed out is that you're charging £24 - robbing b'stards - and some Bairns might just have decided not to give you any money after you were voted champions* at our expense a few years back. I'll be there, because I said I was going and my mate booked our tickets before I realised how much you are charging - but also because the Bairns have been an absolute treat to watch for more than a season now

I dont agree with us charging more for some fixtures. We did it last season for the Dundee United and the Pars. The board were probably delighted as those 4 games just happened to be our highest attendances in the league.

Regarding the league title in 2020, to win via e-mail was very empty compared to having the chance for a last day showdown, which was what originally meant to happen. 

10 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I dont agree with us charging more for some fixtures. We did it last season for the Dundee United and the Pars. The board were probably delighted as those 4 games just happened to be our highest attendances in the league.

Regarding the league title in 2020, to win via e-mail was very empty compared to having the chance for a last day showdown, which was what originally meant to happen. 

It’s an absolute disgrace. Clubs should be made to set a price at the start of the season and it should be the same for every team

12 hours ago, choirbairn said:

Yeah, those scenes when you beat Thistle on penalties to book an absolute humping by Ross County over two legs will live long in the memory ...😂

Yip it ended in disappointment but there was so much to enjoy along the way and I'd much rather be involved in a title battle in the Championship than cruising to a League 1 title. 

Each to their own though.

3 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

Maybe just wear Rovers change strip, like they did before!😉

15 minutes ago, Rocco said:

It’s an absolute disgrace. Clubs should be made to set a price at the start of the season and it should be the same for every team

Kind of agree, however also think it's fair enough for clubs to devise pricing strategies which suit their own economic model. I've never been fully at ease with our fixture categorisation policy but from an economic model it certainly increases the margin for the bigger games. 

Worth also noting that our adult walk up price is £2 more expensive than the Pars however it cost me £10 more to take myself and my two kids to East End Park the other week than it would cost the equivalent me to watch the return fixture at Starks Park.

Whilst I would agree that ticket prices are generally disgracefully high, I'm not too critical of ours which appear to attract those with young families and encourage the next generation to be attending.

12 hours ago, choirbairn said:

Funnily enough when I think about last season it's not really the County game(s) that springs to mind, as dissapointing as those games were. There were a lot of great memorable moments last season and a huge improvement off the pitch as well. Opposition fans might not 'get it' but having sat through some brutal seasons last season was a breath of fresh air. 

51 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Not even the mental league that is the English premiership does it. All clubs will have different categories of games (eg man United category a, Ipswich category b), but away fans are all £30 no matter what; due to fan power. We are so far behind up here it’s a disgrace.