Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

40 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I’m just grouchy as most comic book/action/Star Wars type stuff doesn’t do much for me and there’s no escaping the hype.  Seems a bit like Hollyoaks in space so plot-wise you can expect folk to turn up you thought were dead, sibling rivalry, questionable parentage etc. 

Don't care about Star Wars etc, and have to admit some of the absolute seethe about people spoiling it I've seen has been quite funny as the Trekkies types seem incredibly upright about it. At the same time the principle of spoilers does really annoy me.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

PTTGOYN...

Folk carping on about "Spoiler alerts". Chiefly from fans of all the big infantile crashy bangy films. Plot is simply one element of a film and sometimes a bit of prior knowledge can help you appreciate it. If you watch Peppa Pig, for example, you are likely to find each episode ends with some animals on their back, laughing. 4 year olds across the country don't throw a "OMG Spoiler Alert" tantrum when faced with this knowledge but grown adults will scream and cover their ears if they hear anything about Wookies, Mr Spock or light sabers etc. Grow up FFS. 

Are you one of those people who doesn't want to know the score when you watch recorded highlights of a match? Same thing.

PTTGOYN...

Folk carping on about "Spoiler alerts". Chiefly from fans of all the big infantile crashy bangy films. Plot is simply one element of a film and sometimes a bit of prior knowledge can help you appreciate it. If you watch Peppa Pig, for example, you are likely to find each episode ends with some animals on their back, laughing. 4 year olds across the country don't throw a "OMG Spoiler Alert" tantrum when faced with this knowledge but grown adults will scream and cover their ears if they hear anything about Wookies, Mr Spock or light sabers etc. Grow up FFS. 

No, you're absolutely right. 

My enjoyment of such films as Planet of the Apes, The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects would all have been greatly enhanced by knowing what was coming.

PTTGOYN...

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

No, you're absolutely right. 

My enjoyment of such films as Planet of the Apes, The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects would all have been greatly enhanced by knowing what was coming.

The Usual Suspects has a very punchy ending, granted. POTA they have a big fight on a bridge. Some apes fall off, some don't. The title of the film should give the sharper viewer a clue about the journey of the lab apes. Harrison Ford was doing the press tour for Bladerunner 2049 yet still people squealed about spoilers if people mention Deckard turns up.

22 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Are you one of those people who doesn't want to know the score when you watch recorded highlights of a match? Same thing.

I'd only watch the highlights if Dunfermline had won. Not watched much recently.

With decent films, plot is only one element. The Shining, for example. Full of terrific, quotable scenes. The care in every scene, the sound design. The plot veers off from what was in the book but who other than Stephen King would care? The plot is that a family goes on holiday to a hotel and leaves minus one of the family members. 

The Italian Job - some folk go to Italy and nick some stuff and it doesn't totally go to plan. 

The Wicker Man - the poster has a giant burning Wicker Man on it. May hint at what is to come. 

Of course a good plot can keep you gripped but it seems something particular to fans of superhero/action films that "spoilers" have to be avoided, even though it's bloody obvious what's going to happen (some men in tights are going to fight some other men in tights, some stuff will blow up, a woman might say something, some ironically cool 80s music will play, loads more stuff will blow up then there will be a big crashy bangy finale). 

19 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

With decent films, plot is only one element. The Shining, for example. Full of terrific, quotable scenes. The care in every scene, the sound design. The plot veers off from what was in the book but who other than Stephen King would care? The plot is that a family goes on holiday to a hotel and leaves minus one of the family members. 

The Italian Job - some folk go to Italy and nick some stuff and it doesn't totally go to plan. 

The Wicker Man - the poster has a giant burning Wicker Man on it. May hint at what is to come. 

Of course a good plot can keep you gripped but it seems something particular to fans of superhero/action films that "spoilers" have to be avoided, even though it's bloody obvious what's going to happen (some men in tights are going to fight some other men in tights, some stuff will blow up, a woman might say something, some ironically cool 80s music will play, loads more stuff will blow up then there will be a big crashy bangy finale). 

Nah you're wrong on this one. By all means if you want to research what happens to enjoy the film better then crack on, but if you then spoil it for other people who just want to watch the film without knowing (and if it's decent, watch it again to enjoy the other aspects you talk about), you're a c**t. 

Why would anyone not wanting their enjoyment spoiled, read spoilers or threads on that subject? I didn't want to know the outcome of the aids test I had, so simply got the result drip fed by previous sexual partners / needle sharers, via text message, envelope still unopened. Opening that envelope would have just spoiled it for me.

2 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I ruined the sixth sense for myself and my wife by saying "he's clearly a ghost" five minutes into the film. I'm shite with twist endings, I inevitably work them out before the reveal.

I was living in Arizona at the time that came out. The film critic for the local fish wrap was kind enough to mention the twist in his review, which saved the expense of seeing it at the cinema.

Glitter. What's the fucking point? It looks cheap and nasty and it gets fucking everywhere and stays there for eternity.  I think I'm quite a liberal guy but I honestly fully and unequivocally support the reinstatement of Capital Punishment for anyone who thinks it is (a) a nice thing and (b) those who use it.

Benni did, with disastrous consequences.

545b9a1ae272e9c6c53a9a5173cd4bf5.jpg